Deb's weird computer questions - no. whatever....

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 05:57 am
Yes - I still have 'em!!!!

Now - a weird little blue and green globe icon has appeared on the far right of my screen - an inch or so up.

If you click on it it says this: "Protecting connection to new network on adapter "WAN interface"."

Clearly, my computer protection thingies are protecting me - but, how the smeg did I open such a connection? (Related to my downloading Babylon trial version?) Is it a worry that I have? WHY has the icon appeared in such a weird place? Can I make it behave more reasonably - it is giving me the willies. Oh - it also has an ad trashcan connected to it. Huh?

Worried in Adelaide.

Oh - and when I go online, my MSN Messenger tries to come on. then fails. When I click to sign on, a little note appears below, telling me I have been signed off MSN because i am opening it at another location. Huh?

Sigh. We Luddites suffer in the modern world...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,007 • Replies: 10
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 08:09 am
Deb, sounds like a Norton Internet Security icon. Have you installed any new router or anything? It's a firewall. I think.

I think maybe I should start my own Littlek's little computer problems thread. I've got some odd ones too ever since I got and cured the friggin worm.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 08:37 am
Yes - it is indeed a Norton icon, bless it.

What is a router, and how would I have installed it?

Damn worms!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 03:07 pm
Deb, if you have Outlook or Outlook Express running, it could be auto-starting Messenger. When another call to start Messenger is invoked, such as from a browser, or as the result of opening an internet connection, you will get the "signed in from another location" notice.

If you don't know what a router is, BTW, you prolly don't have one; you'd have to have bought one, taken it out of the box, plugged it in, and physically connected your machine to a network and/or internet connection through it ... even I am unlikely to be in enough of a fog to overlook having done all that :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 03:47 pm
LOL! Well, I would definitely have remembered BUYING it!

Yes - some sort of automatic opening of messenger seems to be trying to occur and failing. Sigh.

Thankee Timber.

Any other ideas? Well, you would have given them if they existed, no?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 05:10 am
hello! hello! Any computer folk got any ideas over here????
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 01:53 pm
aaarrrrgggghhh!!! Still!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 03:05 pm
This question is doomed, I think, to blush unseen and waste its fragrance on the desert air.

And I got LOTS more questions, Margo!
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 02:28 am
You can get rid of the globe icon by going into the properties of it and selecting "don't display the really annoying icon" thing.
I used to have this too. Firewall is pretty good but the icon is a right pain in the arse !
The ad trashcan is something you can drag adverts to such as banners at the top of the page. The program then notes the advert and blocks it from loading thereafter. This saves you bandwidth and time and from seeing bloody pain in the arse adverts !
I hate them !!!
[/rant]

Ahhhhhh, that's better.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 03:08 am
Oh - thankee. I did get rid of it in the way you describe, a few days ago - now, how do I get to the trashcan? LOL!
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 02:14 pm
You want to get rid of it ?
Hmmmm, the version I had was 2002 so it didn't have the trashcan, I've seen it though. Tried right-click : Properties ?
Look for something like 'disable advert screening' et al.

Other than that...:shrug:
0 Replies