What to track your love ones while they fly?

Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 06:30 am
Cool website - flightaware.com - just type in the airline and the flight number and you get to watch the flight in progress.

I am doing this right now as my hubby and older daughter are flying out and leaving me and my little one. Unfortunately they a funereal to go to and it was too darn expensive for all us of to go (over $900 each round trip - on priceline!)

But at least I get to watch as they fly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 783 • Replies: 2
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:10 am
@Linkat,
Sounds like it's too late but they used to do bereavement discounts for exactly this situation.

Looks like they still do:

http://airtravel.about.com/od/travelindustrynews/tp/bereavementairlinetickets.htm

(May there never be a next time -- but if there's a next time...)
Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:23 am
@sozobe,
I was told that many airlines stopped doing bereavement discounts with all the discount online stuff except for overseas flights - at least that was what a co-worker told me about. And that often times bereavement fares are higher because they are charged as the highest ticket price and then the discount. I kind of checked before hand to see what the non-refundable price was and I doubt they would have paid less.

One reason too the airfare is so high is that they are flying to Montana so airfares tend to be higher as there are few flights.

We did use this about 10 years ago when my future f-i-l passed away. It was still expensive - over $800 round trip Boston to Seattle and that was 10 years ago. The one benefit of that ticket though was we could change the return flight without any charges. And because of the very unexpected death, my future husband wanted to go right away. It is easier and most likely less expensive if you fly the same day and/or next day. They were able to book this flight 5 days in advance so the discount website actually seemed to have better prices.
0 Replies