Patriotism: Trash or Treasure?

perception

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:11 am
Nimh wrote:

"what does it say about globalisation that a dutchmen like me knows corny jokes about utah?

I dunno but could it be that we are now "world" patriots against the----aliens who make those "crop circles"

This brings to mind a point that hasn't been touched upon----maybe we should discuss that unifying force that brings people together in a common cause such as "Pearl Harbor" or "9/II". There is such a powerful psychological dynamic here that cannot be ignored but yet how do you explain it? There is an implication that Roosevelt, by political and calculating neglect, purposely ingored the warnings knowing that we muct enter the war but also knowing the mind set of the American people which was at that time isolationism.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:41 am
I'm not sure if this has happened yet. I had to stop reading and write something before I had to stop.

dlowan,

I think a thread to discuss reasonable site behavior, or whatever one would call it (I haven't the time right this minute to think it through) but I think a thread on this subject is very timely and needed. Will you start it, or shall I, or someone else? Anyone? Anyone?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:57 am
Lola

Got the message. Back to the books.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 02:00 pm
Well, Lola - I think there has been lots of discussion about appropriate site behaviour - not to mention the TOS - so I will not start one - but of course that is only my view.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 02:32 pm
dlowan,

Quote:
Since meta-debate about debate is occurring all over the site at the moment, perhaps a thread about the different kinds of discussion, and their strengths and weaknesses would be fun? Hmmmmm - I believe all styles - except personal insult and unthinking chains of insult about one's opponents perceived political or philosophical orientation - are great and have their strengths, BTW

This is what I meant to say rather than "proper behavior"......I was just in a hurry and couldn't remember how you phrased it here. In any case, I think that would be an interesting thread.......one everyone could be referred to if the meta-debate begins anew on yet another thread. But then again, maybe it is best if this meta-debate continues on the individual threads where specific examples of debate style keep cropping up. It seems to be working and worthwhile that way.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 02:35 pm
Aaaa - I see - by all means start such a thread - I am about to go to work!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 02:36 pm
Just finished second part of your post. Yes - it will prolly happen naturally in threads.....as it is!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:47 am
nimh wrote:
In fact, I thank you for bringing this egregious wrong to my attention. It is clear that our government leaders should demand a renegotiation of the borders in the face of European integration, to make sure that no longer will part of the Dutch town of Kerkrade be cruelly split apart into German territory in the most arbitrary way!

<giggles>

May I kindly remind you at
Baarle-Hertog (Belgian exclaves in the Netherlands) and
Baarle-Nassau (Dutch exclaves in Belgium)

as well? Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 07:41 am
I can talk more about monkeys at any point. Please, simply ask or signal with any desecrated flag.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 07:42 am
Monkeys?

( :-)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 08:11 am
Little hairy things...opposable thumbs...bananna breath...likely touching their naughty bits
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 08:12 am
But, so you are not confused, they are much smaller than Australians.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 08:13 am
Rolling Eyes

Anyways, that's bonobos - and they are apes....
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 08:23 am
chimps they are indeed...but I refer to the happy phrase my mother used to describe naughties in the bathroom - 'monkey business'

and, if it weren't clear, which would surprise the hell out of me...I meant no offense
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 08:46 am
Dlowan

Don't mind Blatham this morning he's on a marijuana "binge"----might last two or three days----right now he thinks he's Julius Caesar.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 09:16 am
no no no....I'm not settling for anything less than Antichrist
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 09:26 am
Blatham
Blatham, you sound more like you are chilling out after spending the day with Big Bird and Elmo.

BBB
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 09:32 am
LOL......, Blathan, very funny. But now, what does all this have to do with patriotism?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 02:37 pm
Oh you know, Lola ... bonobos! patriotism!

... duh!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 02:41 pm
I actually think blatham's channelling 'rinse the blood off my toga' ... there's a definite canajun spin goin' on
0 Replies