Patriotism: Trash or Treasure?

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 09:05 am
ehBeth

Here in Vancouver, it really is effectively legal in terms of personal use. One smells it on the street below my house pretty much daily. Police don't arrest, though they'll sometimes confiscate.

As you know, the decrim legislation isn't finalized (the US is exerting whatever force they can to temper or overturn).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 09:30 am
Walter, My mother-in-law is also in the hospital, and my wife's been spending most of her waking hours there - even while our son came home for a few days to attend his cousin's wedding last weekend. We drove him to the airport this morning for his flight back to Austin. My wife has already left for the hospital this morning about 7:15 AM.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 09:47 am
Lola, At what point does it become an emotional obsession? I think there are different kinds of "aggressive action." The first is analogous to what GWBush did to attack Iraq. The second is when a soldier is under fire for his own life, and kills innocent civilians when he/she doesn't know who the enemy is. In the first scenario, we still have many Americans that support the president whle many of us reject almost everything this administration has done in the name of security. In the second scenario, I wouldn't want to second guess any soldiers right to self-preservation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 11:20 am
By the by, Belgium was created in 1832 by the guarantee of England, France and Prussia, because of uprisings against the tender mercies of those peoples' Dutch overlords (the ingrates ! ! !). Apart from that:

Pourquoi ne fault-il pas conter les blagues aux Belges le vendredi?

Pour qu'ils ne risent pas pendant la messe.

Il y aviat deux Belges qui sont allés en France à la plage, mais ils ont vus une affiche: <<Pas de Calais>>, ainsi, ils sont rentrés . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 02:48 pm
Wot?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 02:51 pm
"Why must you not tell jokes to Belgians on Friday?"

"So they won't laugh during mass."

Two Belgians went to France to the beach, but they saw a sign which read "Pas de Calais," so they went back home.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 02:51 pm
Blimey.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 02:59 pm
Belgian Jokes
A Belgian met a Dutch friend, who was driving a Rolls Royce and spending money like water.

'How did you get so rich?' the Belgian asked.

'I went to Canada, to shoot bears. The fur coats are very expensive.'

'How do you go about shooting bears?'

'It's very simple. You should go there in winter. When you enter a cave you will find a bear. Since it is in hybernation, it is very easy to shoot it.'

Three months later they meet again. This time the Belgian is entirely wrapped in bandages.

'What has happened to you?'

'Well' the Belgian replies: 'I went to Canada, I entered a cave with my gun, and then suddenly... the train came'.
------------------------------------------

Why doesn't the Belgian Navy have any submarines?
Every time there is a knock somebody opens the door!
----------------------------------

Why do so many Belgian submariner drown?
Parachutes don't work under water!
--------------------------------------------

Why didn't the Belgian Airforce send any airplanes to the Gulf 1?
They hadn't finished folding the paper yet!
----------------------------------------------
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 04:09 pm
LOL Setanta and BBB

Theres loooooaaaaaads more where those come from ;-)

Walter ... <nods>
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 05:10 am
Well, nimh, you certainly know, why the Dutch don't go further on the Autobahn A 45 than 'uitgang' 19? It's called "Wenden".
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 02:32 pm
please don't forget that a german princeling was chosen to be the first king of the belgians. what did ya' expect, robin hood ? hbg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 02:35 pm
Hmmm - Britain imported one a while back, too....
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 02:44 pm
joke joke ! american visits the FAIR city of hamburg and takes a guided tour. first stop is at mighty st. micheal's church (DER MICHEL, can be seen by sailors as a ship comes up the elbe river). american : how long did it take to build this church ? hbg. : about three years, sir.american : in america it would take three weeks. next stop is at the huge monument in honour of the german chancellor von bismarck. american : how long to build this ? hbg(by now a little smarter) : three weeks, sir. american : in america three days. next stop is at the huge city hall. hbg looks at the huge building and seems puzzled. american : how long to build this ? hbg (dumbfounded) : beats me ! it wasn't here yesterday ! ... substitute any nationality that suits your purpose ! hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 02:45 pm
picture sites will be supplied upon request only. hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 02:47 pm
for anyone who needs to meet the first royal couple of the belgians; please see : www.georgianindex.net/Prn_Charlotte/P_Charlotte.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 03:17 pm
I have some respect for King Albert, who reigned during the first world war. The rest of the Saxe-Cobergs weren't worth the powder necessary to blow them to hell.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 05:19 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, nimh, you certainly know, why the Dutch don't go further on the Autobahn A 45 than 'uitgang' 19? It's called "Wenden".

touché
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 06:11 pm
Setanta wrote:
I have some respect for King Albert, who reigned during the first world war. The rest of the Saxe-Cobergs weren't worth the powder necessary to blow them to hell.

one of em is now PM of Bulgaria, I believe ;-)

(they didnt allow him to run for president - what, with being the former king and all that)

Add: link
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 08:26 am
Mark Twain was an active protestor against the Spanish-American War. When denounced as unpatriotic, he retorted:
"Patriotism does not mean loyalty to one's government. Patriotism means loyalty to one's country."
Indeed, IMO I feel that it is also dangerous for presidents (ie. Bush) to denounce the anti-war protestors as unpatriotic or unAmerican. Quite the countrary, opposing - or at least questioning - one's own government is the highest form of patriotism! According to the Declaration of Independence, when a government becomes destructive of certain unalienable rights, "...it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government.." Unfortunately, I feel that this knowledge is perhaps lost in American society today.
0 Replies

LTK

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 08:32 am
I do wish we here in Australia had the same level of patriotism that you guys over in the US experianced.
0 Replies