dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 01:49 am
@Robert Gentel,
You know, I get the whole anti-from-scratch thing (we were actually talking about this very thing at lunch at work today, oddly enough), and I'll not try to talk you into it, except to say that you become used to it very fast, and can just throw the things into a blender in a few minutes, and you just know how much of each ingredient is going to work.

I guess it is damned easy here now, because there are Asian food specialty shops everywhere, so it is no bigger of a deal than making anything else.

Well, we can't generally get fresh coconut cream from the coconut whirring object thingy, but one hears that many an Asian housewife now uses the powdered form...at least that is what Malaysian friends tell me.
roger

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 01:51 am
@dlowan,
Throw things into a blender pretty well describes the demonstrations I've seen. It's enough to gag a maggot, dlowan.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 09:06 am
@dlowan,
There are a lot of things I like to make from scratch, but this just isn't one of them. Partly because nobody else around me would eat any of it, partly because I can't get the ingredients anyway, and partly because it looks like the margin for error is great and it would take many tries to get what I want.

If I were planning to live in Costa Rica permanently I'd learn, but as it stands I think I'll be moving somewhere where I can just eat it out, which I'd much prefer anyway (that stuff leaves a pretty pungent smell in the house that my neighbors might not appreciate).
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 06:52 pm
Just lettin you know I did the fried rice(asparagus , mushrooms and chicken)and it came out very nicely.
The trick with the eggs and milk was super
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 09:41 am
@panzade,
asparagus , mushrooms and chicken? Wow! That sounds like a great combination!

I'm glad the egg trick worked.

T
K
O
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 05:34 pm
@Diest TKO,
I'm working on a variation of your recipe right now with some sweet pilipina longanisa and half a bag of cole slaw mix. It's smelling and looking good.

Getting ready for the egg stage. Mulling between water and milk for the thinner.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 06:20 pm
@ehBeth,
added some corn.

Tasssssssssty.

I made enough that there will be plenty left for breakfast.
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:07 pm
@ehBeth,
So creative with the coleslaw mix! Did you use water or milk?

T
K
O
ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:11 pm
@Diest TKO,
milk (sort of - only had light cream - so I mixed the light cream with water and then the eggs)

I really liked how the egg/milk mixture cooked into tiny tiny egg custardy droplets - great piece of knowledge you shared.

Kinda like the best ever dorm food, eh.
0 Replies