Advice for a tourist in NY...

Mame

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 07:53 am
We might be heading to New York this September and we will have a car, so we don't want to stay anywhere really populated. We were thinking of staying about 20 minutes from downtown NY and subbing in. Does anyone know of a good, reasonable hotel we could stay at? And the best things to do, best places to eat (typical NY, interesting, not fancy)?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

If we are able to make it, I'll let you know and hopefully we can hoo up with some of you.

Whoo hoo.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,629 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 08:01 am
@Mame,
I'm sure you will soon get a shower of suggestions, but I would tell you to ditch the car in a garage in the Bronx and get around via public transportation. Dealing with a car in Manhattan is an expensive nuisance.
shewolfnm

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 08:39 am
Oh HONEY dont drive in NY

please please please dont
you can commute and see some fabulous things by subway.
cheaper
easier

95th street has great hostels. You can get super cheap ( just a bed and dresser) or a full hostel with tv
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 09:02 am
@Mame,
I agree that there will be lots of suggestions. Just happy you're thinking of doing this, you guys..

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 09:02 am
@Green Witch,
That's exactly what I was thinking, GW, so thanks. The Bronx, eh? Great! Thank you.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 09:05 am
No, we definitely do NOT want to be driving in Manhattan or any other place in NY city. We want to stay on the outskirts of town and subway in.

We want to do all the usual things, or some of them, and being a foodie, I'm wanting to go to some great restaurants and not spend $100 per meal. I want to go to the renowned, fave places of New Yorkers.

I am so excited - I really hope we get to go!
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 09:19 am
@Mame,
Brooklyn is another alternative and you can take the subway to Manhattan.
I loved Brighton Beach! They have reasonable B&B there too! Here is one
of them.
http://www.bbonline.com/ny/bibisgarden/

Or you can rent a small studio apartment right in Manhattan
http://www.212suites.com/Studios/320-east-54-street.html
This way you could have some meals in house too!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 09:23 am
@CalamityJane,
I was thinking of Brooklyn too, though of course I don't know it well. At least some areas look very nice.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 10:32 am
@Mame,
Park the car somewhere, take the bus in and stay in the city. The price differential in accommodation is not worth the daily hassle of going back and forth. There have been several threads on this fairly recently. The Shewolf's and JoefromChicago's are the ones that spring to mind.

I personally don't like to stay much past 35th, and prefer to be south of 20th, but it depends on what you plan to do during your time in the city.

New York magazine recently published their annual cheap eats issue. It's available online for browsing/planning.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 04:33 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

We might be heading to New York this September and we will have a car [...]

I presume that you will not be driving from the Yukon? Shocked
Rockhead

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 10:58 pm
@Reyn,
hey, mame. mebbe you want to meet the candidates for mayor while you are there...

http://www.nakedcowboyformayor.com/
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 11:47 pm
where the hell was he when I was there???
0 Replies