Moral Relativism. It may be right but it must be wrong.

Jebediah

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 09:46 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

Of course, nobody should be stoned to death for adultery, or for anything, and the Iranian theocracy is indeed barbaric, and repressive.

I think it is "of course" too, and that it is important to acknowledge that.

Quote:
But does that mean adultery is morally permissible? Is it a matter of individual conscience?

I too am talking about moral relativism. The OP says 'there must be hard and fast rules'. I am asking: whose rules?

Once we agree that there are objective facts, then it becomes a process of working them out. Philosophers have spent a lot of time on this. It isn't easy, and some questions are very hard indeed.

But you have to agree that there are facts, and that we are just having difficulty seeing them. That is very different from saying there are no facts at all.

I have actually never seen someone who says the believe in moral relativism try and explain why adultery is moral/immoral. Usually they say something like "Of course, I think it is immoral because I was raised in this culture, and that is your only reason too, you naive person". And then sort of leave it at that.
north

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 10:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Take any deed deemed immoral. Spend enough time investigating and contemplating the circumstances around said deed and you can make a plausible argument for why it was understandable, if not justified, and that the perpetrator of the deed was, in some way, as much a victim as his or her victims.

Most abusive pedophiles were abused as children.

Many violent crimes are perpetrated by people who, themselves, were the long time victims of violence.

If you and your family are starving, is it immoral to steal bread?

If someone is convincingly threatening the lives of your family, is it immoral to proactively resolve the threat by killing the person you legitimately fear?

Anyone with any intelligence appreciates that not-with-standing our desire for a black and white world, reality is represented in shades of grey.

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending upon your point of view) Society cannot exist under the tenants of moral relativism.

With thousands and millions of people living with one another, Society cannot afford to surrender to grey. There must be hard and fast rules.

Accepting that any behavior can be right is asserting that no behavior can be wrong.

This mindset is in direct contrast to the concepts of society.

In a certain way, moral relativism is akin to quantum physics and, indeed, it was this theoretical breakthrough that contributed to post-modernist thought.

Reality is dependent upon the observer.

If this is the case, then the opinions of any particular observer are as valid as any other (even for a nano-second) in determining what reality might be.

There is a (currently) unfathomable paradox between Quantum Physics and General Relativity Physics. Clearly, this doesn't mean that one cannot be so, but it does challenge us who must operate in the "real" world rather than the "theoretical" world to attempt to reconcile what we can perceive with our senses and what we can imagine with our minds. The Holy Grail of a TOE still eludes us.

In building a bridge, developing computers, or putting a man on the moon, we have given, predominately, our collective nod to the physics of Newton and Einstein rather than Bohrs and Heisenberg.

There are actually solid, as opposed to simply theoretical, reasons to believe the latter, but for 99.9% of the earth's population, the former rules, in practice, over the latter, and yet we appreciate that Quantum Physics represents "truth" too.

Eventually there may be a TOE we can comprehend, and eventually there may be a reconciliation between moral-relativism and societal imperatives, but both are mighty challenges we may not solve for decades if not centuries to come, and in any case we will have to be wiser as well as smarter to do so.

In the mean-time, we must live within the framework of what actually works, not what should work.

Moral relativism is a great topic for discussion but it doesn't work in the currently "real" world.

until we as Humans grow , understand that our over all Health as a being is based on understanding and the awareness of being abused and the damage that being abused can cause to Humanity , we will be STUCK in this emotional stagnation

interestingly it is up to the abused , to speak loudly , that will get us out of this stagnation of Human growth
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 10:16 pm
@Jebediah,
remember 'deepthot' from the old forum? Now there was a guy who had gone to a lot of trouble to work out an ethical theory. So I don't say it can't be done, but it is a much bigger undertaking than many would think. And I am still wary of this 'objective facts' idea, especially in questions of morality and ethics, especially when your starting point is the abandonment of tradition (not saying yours is, but it is a big factor.)
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:42 am
@Jebediah,
Quote:
But you have to agree that there are facts, and that we are just having difficulty seeing them.

Where do these "facts" come from?

If facts are things that are products of the human mind as developed in a specific culture, then sure... there are facts. In that case we can agree... although I believe that human minds are diverse and different people in different places have different facts.

The core problem of you arguments is the key question: What are "moral" facts based on?. Your answer was "instinct" and "common sense".... And, I agree with your answer. This means that anyone who understands morality based on their instinct and common sense is, by definition, correct.

If this isn't what you are saying, then you still need to answer what your "moral facts" are based on.
ebrown p

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:50 am
I would also suggest that the discussions of how barbaric Muslims are is not a good argument. This is an example of prejudice, not of morality. There is more prejudice, fear and hatred of Muslims in the US then ever... picking out practices that can be labeled "barbaric" in your enemies, is not that hard.

There is nothing new here. Twenty years ago, the Russians were barbarians. Fifty years ago, it was the Japanese and Germans. Before that it was the Italians and the Jews. Before that it was the Chinese.

Hating the "barbaric" actions of an enemy is not an example of moral thinking.

If you want to make your point, why not address moral problems in our own society?

We kill enemies using unmanned planes in a way that is deadly to civilians around them.
We celebrate and even sell adultery.
We kill unborn babies.
We use sex for entertainment and to market products.

Do you think our enemies might use these things to refer to us as barbaric?

If there is an absolute moral truth, then we should apply it first to our own society.

0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:48 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

If facts are things that are products of the human mind as developed in a specific culture, then sure... there are facts. In that case we can agree... although I believe that human minds are diverse and different people in different places have different facts.

The core problem of you arguments is the key question: What are "moral" facts based on?. Your answer was "instinct" and "common sense".... And, I agree with your answer. This means that anyone who understands morality based on their instinct and common sense is, by definition, correct.

I think I had a long post on this. I think you are saying that, since each culture has it's own ideas, then each culture has it's own facts. But that isn't true. Many cultures have had different ideas about medicine, and agriculture, but there is still objectively good medicine and objectively bad medicine, objectively good ways of farming and objectively bad ways of farming. There is often not "one true way" mind you, but the good methods are rarely very different. Morality is not different in principle. It is another system with a purpose, generally speaking the ordering of society to allow wellbeing for the population. That purpose is based on our instincts and what we naturally like (remember I noted that the wrongness of stealing is based in the fact that we value our possessions).

What that DOES NOT say, is that if a certain society has developed certain moral rules, that these moral rules are good, no more than we would say that if a certain society has developed certain medical practices, that those medical practices are good. They can be terrible.

Earlier you said that any moral system is based on axioms, and that there is no objective reason to choose one set of axioms over another (which is funny itself). But clearly you would not argue that the general purpose of medicine is not, objectively, to promote the health of the person. That's the definition. Morality has a similar definition, which has been obscured by a number of philosophers making horrible arguments. I hope you don't still have the impression that just because someone is a respected philosopher, he is not full of nonsense.

One of the most paradoxical things about cultural relativism is that when bleeding heart (for lack of a better word) people support it, what they are really supporting is the idea that people in other cultures are fundamentally different. They took a bad idea, the imperialist kind of "these are lesser races and we can exploit them" and flipped it on its head. But it is still a bad idea. Now their idea is "these are other races and they can do whatever it's cool". But in fact people are very similar across cultures.

ebrown p wrote:

I would also suggest that the discussions of how barbaric Muslims are is not a good argument. This is an example of prejudice, not of morality. There is more prejudice, fear and hatred of Muslims in the US then ever... picking out practices that can be labeled "barbaric" in your enemies, is not that hard.

There is nothing new here. Twenty years ago, the Russians were barbarians. Fifty years ago, it was the Japanese and Germans. Before that it was the Italians and the Jews. Before that it was the Chinese.

Hating the "barbaric" actions of an enemy is not an example of moral thinking.

If you want to make your point, why not address moral problems in our own society?

We kill enemies using unmanned planes in a way that is deadly to civilians around them.
We celebrate and even sell adultery.
We kill unborn babies.
We use sex for entertainment and to market products.

Do you think our enemies might use these things to refer to us as barbaric?

If there is an absolute moral truth, then we should apply it first to our own society.

Well, this is where you go off the deep end and I sense that our discussion has ended. But can I ask you, how do you justify criticizing, say, the warlike culture of the neo-cons? It's a different culture of their own, and you said that if killing civilians with unmanned drones is moral according to their instincts and common sense, then they are correct by definition. Why do you think you can criticize different cultures that make up our own country, but not different cultures that make up our own world?

Also. This is probably pointless but I might as well try. I have a feeling that what I've said will be in one ear and out the other because you believe it is an argument that justifies prejudice, and that most enlightened intellectuals believe in moral relativism. Both of these are false. Even if you think I'm wrong, at least do your due diligence. Remember that it was public pressure that resulted in the stoning sentence being lifted, i.e. it was lifted because people believed that it was wrong. If everyone argued as you do, then a women would have been stoned to death after confessing to adultery while being lashed 99 times. Wouldn't it be terrible if you were wrongly giving your tacit support to such actions?

ebrown p

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:01 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah,

It seems to me that there is a strong connection between Moral Absolutism and prejudice. It is a human trait to believe strongly that your country, and your culture, are superior to all of other nations and cultures. It shouldn't surprise you that there are moral absolutists in Iran who believe (and say) that the US is barbaric. I am as skeptical of them as I am of you.

We can avoid this whole problem of nationalism by talking about moral absolutism in our own counter. Why do you need to talk about capital punishment in Iran when we have capital punishment in the United States?

You keep avoiding applying any sort of absolute morality close to your own home.

Some Moral Absolutists are very upset by the legal killing of millions of innocent unborn babies in the US. They say "abortion stops a beating heart"... a fact that is undeniably true. People certainly have an instinctive reaction against killing babies, and for many people it is common sense.

So, here is a perfectly good American Moral issue.... how do we resolve it with objective facts.

0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:12 am
To make it crystal clear.

Let's say you have heart disease of some sort, and you are undergoing medical treatment. There are three methods.

1) Pill A, significant health benefits, side effect of drowsiness
2) Pill B, same health benefits as A, side effect of nausea
3) Drawing blood, balancing the 4 humors

Whether Pill A is better than Pill B is quite likely subjective, or perhaps situational. If I dislike being drowsy more than I do being nauseous, than Pill B is better for me, and vice versa. But drawing blood is objectively worse than both of them.

Now lets say you have moral rules by country:

1) Adultery punished by some social disapproval
2) Adultery punished by great social disapproval and legal penalty during divorce
3) Adultery is punished by the offender being stoned to death if they are a woman

It is possible that in one country adultery is just not cared about as much. So there is some wiggle room in the law. However the third option is objectively wrong. It's a rule arrived at by false ideas. Imagine if you believed that drinking milk turned someone into a mass murderer. If that was the case, drinking milk would be clearly wrong, and so you believe it is. But drinking milk does not turn someone into a mass murderer and so you are objectively mistaken. I think many moral rules should be looked at with the same if-then format, and the failure to do so results in evil. IF marijuana will destroy the country by inevitably turning its users into heroin addicts and making everyone so lazy that they don't do any work, THEN it is wrong. But it doesn't so it isn't. IF adultery is such an affront to god that allowing it will result in god raining fire down upon our country, THEN it is wrong. But it isn't so it isn't. Obviously.

It is possible for the first two rules to be wrong as well, just as it is possible to discover that the medicines A and B don't really do much. Many of our rules in western society are confused. The marijuana one is an obvious example.
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:16 am
@ebrown: nonsense, if you were to search through my backlog here I have argued frequently against the actions of my own society/culture, as has just about everybody. Your problem is that you aren't willing to extend that criticism to other countries, for the reason that you think to do so is to be prejudiced. In doing so you ironically pre-judge a vast number of people.

Also, I am arguing for moral realism.
ebrown p

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:31 am
@Jebediah,
Quote:
Your problem is that you aren't willing to extend that criticism to other countries,

You are wrong about that... I am perfectly willing to criticize the actions of other countries. I have no problem with condemning the stoning of Adulterers in Iran (in fact I do).

The difference is that I am condemning these actions as a liberal American based on my own beliefs. I don't claim any source of superiority, and I don't claim to have any access to Universal truth... my interest is in making the world (and especially my own society) into a place that I would prefer to live.

I have a strong sense of morality, and plenty of opinions... some of which are strong enough for me to act upon.

The only difference between you and me in this respect, is that I don't claim any supernatural basis for my opinions.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 12:15 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

Quote:
There must be hard and fast rules.

I agree that moral relativism is illusory, and that there are real ethical standards. On the other hand, if you insist that there are standards that are right for others, then you end up with something very much like the religious right, who seem overly concerned with how other people behave.

You are slipping into relativisim. It is not enough to simply concern oneself with one's own ethical standards and trust that everyone else will do the same. There is no evidence to believe they will which is why societies establish laws which require certain behaviors and prohibit others. Obviously it is a matter of degree and to preserve personal liberty and guard against tyranny, deliberate restraint must be exercised in the establishment of laws.

It's interesting and far too common that people tend to think of the so-called "religious right" when they discuss the imposition of overly stringent laws and standards of behavior. The "socialized left" does the same thing. It's simply a matter of personal ideological opinion concerning the issue at hand.

How far out the circle of rules is drawn is clearly an appropriate topic for societal debate in a free democracy, but it is in all of our best interests to keep the circle as tight as possible.

Your statement about 'hard and fast rules' reminds me of that. America is a very fearful society at this time: scared of each other, scared of the world, and scared of the rate of change. I think this fear is driving a lot of the conservatism we are seeing. We desperately want to return to the good 'ol days when right was right, God was in his heaven, and John Wayne was sherriff.

The world is a fearful place and if American society is more fearful than others (and I don't accept that it is) it is because it either has more to fear, or is more alert.

Your characterization of what "we" (Americans) want is a sweeping generalization with little more than conventional wisdom to inform it. Most of the conservatives I know and interact with are not desperate to return to some Golden Age of John Wayne and Sunday School, and if liberals long for such a time, it certainly doesn't meet your specifications.

You have hit upon a flaw in what generally amounts to current Progressive thought. Because I don't want certain existing standards to erode doesn't mean that I have a general and fundamental fear of change. Everything doesn't have to materially change. For the sake of changing that which needs to be changed, we are not required to accept the change of that which should remain the same.

I think the only resolution to the dilemma is that the individual needs to recognise ethical standards voluntarily, rather than having them imposed.

Because a rather large number of individuals will not voluntarily abide by an agreed upon set of ethical standards and if left to their own devices will set for themselves those which do not recognize the rights of others, there must be laws --- hard and fast rules.

A person needs to be intelligent enough to understand what is right and follow it, without having it imposed upon them. So I agree with your post in that sense: citizens must be recognised as responsible for their own actions. Only a small percentage of people may actually be able to voluntarily seek and practise that, but hopefully their influence will be disproportionate to their numbers. So, presumably, education should be aimed at instilling this sense of moral autonomy in individuals. I don't know if I see much of that in the cultural war between 'religious' and 'secular' views.

Frankly, this is pretty fanciful stuff. What a person may "need" to be in the limited confines of a philosophical discussion of utopia has very little to do with reality, and the notion of an Elite class of ethical humans leading solely by example may make for interesting fiction, but has no relevance to our world.

Incidentally, as regards the way in which quantum theory undermines the idea of absolute objectivity, I hope you don't regard this as a liberal conspiracy to destroy the American Way.

Of course not. It simply can be seen as a a primary influence on post-modernist thought.

Because it is a fact that QM does undermine the idea of absolute objectivity and naive realism. This does represent a crisis in Western philosophy, no question about that, and I don't think there is enough discussion of it, or awareness of what it means. My hope is that resolution of these very difficult issues will actually bring about a radically new understanding of the world and will have positive consequences, but that is far from certain at this time. The planet is in a pretty dire situation at this point.

Jebediah

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 03:30 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
Your problem is that you aren't willing to extend that criticism to other countries,

You are wrong about that... I am perfectly willing to criticize the actions of other countries. I have no problem with condemning the stoning of Adulterers in Iran (in fact I do).

The difference is that I am condemning these actions as a liberal American based on my own beliefs. I don't claim any source of superiority, and I don't claim to have any access to Universal truth... my interest is in making the world (and especially my own society) into a place that I would prefer to live.

I have a strong sense of morality, and plenty of opinions... some of which are strong enough for me to act upon.

The only difference between you and me in this respect, is that I don't claim any supernatural basis for my opinions.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You condemn people based solely on your beliefs...but without any sense of superiority? That's the essence of arrogance, and you are calling me arrogant. I don't consider my own beliefs the source of morality, is this really what moral relativism is about? Are you really just arguing for moral relativism so that you can say "well, I just go by whatever I believe, but so do you, neener-neener, at least I'm honest about it and not obviously (lol) prejudiced like you are"? This has to be a joke.

You are claiming that if you had been brought up in Iran, you would have followed your beliefs as a conservative Iranian, and supported the stoning of women for adultery. Perhaps you would have thrown stones yourself. And probably you would have if this is the level of critical thinking you deem sufficient.

Pseudo-intellectual garbage. You consistently misuse basic terminology by the way. Philosophy is not a crutch to support ideas that make you feel intellectual.
Jebediah

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 03:32 pm
Well, I guess this is past the point where I can be polite. But unfortunately, it is not as easy to back away from this discussion as it is from the discussions where people steadfastly claim that there is no mind independent reality, etc, because when people believe in this form of moral relativism they cause harm to the world we all live in.

Anyway, I apologize for being rude. But obtusely repeating yourself for selfish reasons is a rude way to debate, so yeah.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Because a rather large number of individuals will not voluntarily abide by an agreed upon set of ethical standards and if left to their own devices will set for themselves those which do not recognize the rights of others, there must be laws --- hard and fast rules.

You are mixing up ethical standards and laws. You can impose a legal code, but can you impose ethics? You can force people to obey the law but can you force them to be good?

Incidentally, regarding the fearfulness of American society, I think this is epitomized by the passionate defence in all strata of society of the right to bear arms. If the citizens were not fearful of attack, then they would have no requirements for being armed. As it is, death and injuries by gunfire in America are exponentially higher than in any other developed nation.
ebrown p

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:52 pm
@Jebediah,
Quote:

You are claiming that if you had been brought up in Iran, you would have followed your beliefs as a conservative Iranian, and supported the stoning of women for adultery. Perhaps you would have thrown stones yourself. And probably you would have if this is the level of critical thinking you deem sufficient.

Huh? Where did I claim this?

My nature is to be a skeptic of my own cultural standards. I don't accept the American standard cultural view in many areas... in fact, I am well to the left of center in the context of my own culture.

It is at least possible that the same would be true were I an Iranian.

That being said, it seems obvious to me that my perspective would be quite a bit different had I been raised in Iran by Iranians then it is after being raised in the US by Americans.

Jebediah

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:58 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Huh? Where did I claim this?

My nature is to be a skeptic of my own cultural standards. I don't accept the American standard cultural view in many areas... in fact, I am well to the left of center in the context of my own culture.

It is at least possible that the same would be true were I an Iranian.

How are you skeptical of your own cultural standards if you are a moral relativist? On what basis would you change a belief? Basically what you're telling me is that you operate in every way like a moral realist, except that you say you aren't a moral realist. This is not surprising, but still, gives you a pause don't you think?
joefromchicago

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:51 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

I'll match your three "bullshits" with three "woofs".

Whereof one cannot speak intelligently, thereof one must woof.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:53 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

Well, joe from chicago, our relationship has been short, futile and mutually exasperating, so go well, and be happy.

Take your ball and go home, jeeprs. That's what all you non-dualists do eventually.
jeeprs

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:07 pm
@joefromchicago,
Yeah and it's a great home, thanks.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:17 pm
@Jebediah,
Quote:

How are you skeptical of your own cultural standards if you are a moral relativist? On what basis would you change a belief? Basically what you're telling me is that you operate in every way like a moral realist, except that you say you aren't a moral realist. This is not surprising, but still, gives you a pause don't you think?

I have no idea what the term "moral realist" means. I am arguing against moral absolutism-- a black or white, right or wrong view of morality where one view is right and all others are wrong. Is "realism" a euphemism for "absolutism"?

Anyway...

I have strong opinions about the world want to live in, and stronger opinions about the society I want to live in. I have no problem arguing and working to move society according to what I think is best according to my own values.

This is certainly appropriate in a democratic society (such as the one we have in the US). This society belongs to the individuals that make it up. I have as much a say in the values and direction of society as anyone else-- and I have the right to use my voice.

I feel the same way in my citizenship of the world. I have a voice and in some cases I can help make the world more like the world in which I want to live. The key point is how we consider people with different view and different goals. Do we consider them equals... or do we consider people who disagree with us "barbarians".

I certainly consider my adversaries (be they Iranians, or Republicans) as human beings with the same right to a voice as I have. I also understand that they have the same sincerity that I have... and I even admit that my disagreements with them are based on values and beliefs that that are untestable. The fact that I don't truly consider anyone who disagrees with me as "barbarian" allows me some liberty to evolve in my own understanding, and to work together with adversaries when we have complementary goals.

I don't have to claim to have access to any absolute truth or morality... and I am suspicious of anyone who does-- be the tea party members, or anarchist rioters.

I do claim to have as much of a role, voice and desire to make the world more fair and humane as I understand fair and humane as anyone.

You don't have to have a absolute lock on "right" and "wrong" to work to make the world a better place on a global scale, or to make life better for the people around you.