Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 06:35 pm
A man left his house on Friday to stay in another town. He stayed in the town for 3 days and he left Friday. How did he do it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 664 • Replies: 9
No top replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:09 pm
@mikekliebert,
How long did it take him to get to the other town?
Did he cross the international date line?
Did he cross multiple time zones?

Judging by the info you provided, he left on Friday, traveled for 3 days (Saturday, Sunday, and Monday), spent 3 days in the other town (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday), and left on Friday.

Or, the Friday he left on was a womans name
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:34 pm
@mikekliebert,
mikekliebert wrote:

A man left his house on Friday to stay in another town. He stayed in the town for 3 days and he left Friday. How did he do it?

Friday is the name of his horse.
fresco

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 02:05 am
@chai2,
...or the name of an island.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 02:44 am
@chai2,
Quote:

There is an oddity about the riddle as stated. In American English, I thought, they say "left Friday" where British English users would say "left on Friday", when the meaning is "left on the day of the week called Friday". Yet the riddle mixes the two. You can have both leavings being "on" Friday, and it still works in BrE, but if you omit the "on" in both, it fails to be a riddle.
C99

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 06:09 pm
@chai2,
friday is the name of his horse
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 04:58 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Quote:

There is an oddity about the riddle as stated. In American English, I thought, they say "left Friday" where British English users would say "left on Friday", when the meaning is "left on the day of the week called Friday". Yet the riddle mixes the two. You can have both leavings being "on" Friday, and it still works in BrE, but if you omit the "on" in both, it fails to be a riddle.

Actually, I think most Americans would say "left on Friday", although "left Friday" would be acceptable and understood.

For instance, I would say "I have an appointment on Wednesday", not "I have an appointment Wednesday"

maybe that's just me though.
contrex

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 11:57 am
@chai2,
Wimpy used to ask to borrow a sum of money from Popeye and say "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday".

The electronics manufacturer (Canon) said Tuesday that its net profit was 15.6 billion yen

They said they would ask Obama to urge the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, ... chairman of the Republican conference, said Tuesday

Liz Cheney, the daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney and a former State Department official, said Tuesday that she isn't

The Pentagon said Tuesday it has fingerprints, DNA, photos or reliable intelligence to link 27 detainees to the battlefields

chai2

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 12:33 pm
@contrex,
Microsoft is planning an Office party on Monday

Aug 2, 2009 ... Maritime vessels will be monitored for radioactive material in the waters south of the Verrazano Bridge on Tuesday.

Participating in Whiskers On Wednesday is very easy. All you do is post each week (on Wednesday) about your favorite cat(s).

MySpace is set to release MySpace Mail on Thursday of this week...

Participating 7-Eleven stores will be offering customers a free 7.11 oz. slurpee all day long on Saturday, July 11 (7/11/09). ...

So what exactly is your point connie?
contrex

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 01:04 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
So what exactly is your point connie?

Although both forms are used in American English, you often see events and days expressed without "on" in US printed media, but hardly ever in material originating in British English areas. That's all.
0 Replies