Anyone have a good swedish meatball recipe?

Linkat

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 10:32 am
My daughter had some swedish meatballs at my parent's house the other day. I remember having these as a kid and loved them. I know I can get the recipe from my mom, but since my daughter said she thought Ikea had the best swedish meatballs - I figured I'd ask you all.

Does anyone have the best swedish meatball recipe?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 5,919 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 10:38 am
@Linkat,
ikea's are best.

but they are hell to assemble.
Linkat

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 10:46 am
@Rockhead,
I don't know - I've never stepped foot into an ikea.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 10:49 am
@Linkat,
my ex thought it was heaven on earth. Rolling Eyes

I been looking into doing swedish meatballs of late, but had not found a recipe I really liked.

I'll keep watching.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 10:55 am
@Linkat,
It's a far bit of time investment if you want to make your own "real" Swedish meatballs. The trickiest part is determining which particular combination of meats are used in the variant you liked. Which types of meat (usually 3), what grind, and what percentage of the different meats. Then there's the lingonberry sauce, and the special cream sauce you need for the new potatoes you'll be serving with the Swedish meatballs..

Considering that the meatballs, cream sauce and lingonberry sauce (for about 6 - 8 people) costs $15 Cdn in the Ikea food shop (I noticed it when I was there yesterday), it's probably easiest to hit up Ikea.

(the lunch specials right now are good too: $1.99 for pasta and sauce, or $2 for 2 hot dogs and a large drink)
Linkat

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 10:58 am
@ehBeth,
I refuse to walk into an ikea.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 11:02 am
@Linkat,
I like the one I went to. Cleanest washrooms accessible to the highway that runs through the north part of the city.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 11:04 am
@Linkat,
Ikea Swedish Meatballs

2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
5 tablespoons butter, divided
2 cold boiled medium Yukon gold potatoes
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
1 egg
3/4 cup water and cream (or milk) mixture
3 tablespoons unsweetened rusk flour, or dry breadcrumbs
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
A pinch of ground allspice

Cook the onion until golden in 2 tablespoons of lightly browned butter.

Mash the potatoes and moisten the rusk flour or crumbs in a little water.

Mix all the ingredients until well blended, and season generously with salt, white pepper, and a little ground allspice.

Shape the mixture into golfball-sized balls and transfer to a floured sheet of waxed paper.

Fry the meatballs slowly in plenty of butter.

Cream Sauce

1 cup beef stock
1/2 cup cream
Low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon white flour
Freshly ground white pepper

Bring the beef stock to a boil. Add the cream and soy sauce to taste, and thicken with flour. Season with white pepper.

Serve the meatballs with the sauce, freshly boiled small potatoes, and lingonberry jam.

Yield: 2 servings
Linkat

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 11:05 am
@Green Witch,
Thanks - I can do that easy peasy lemon squeezy
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 01:14 pm
I don´t like Ikea very much either -
but their meatballs are just top.

Friends of mine always ask me to serve meat balls when coming over for dinner because mine are sooo goood. They thought I made them myself - no Ikea.

Don´t fry them again, just warm them up in the gravy - otherwise they might get too hard.

Don´t forget they have to be served with Lingonsylt or if you can´t get it cranberries. Otherwise it is not really meatballs.
Linkat

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 01:28 pm
@saab,
What the h*ll is Lingonsylt?
Green Witch

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 01:41 pm
@Linkat,
Ligonberries. Look in your grocer's jam department and you'll probably find some.
Linkat

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 01:43 pm
@Green Witch,
Yeck I hate berries and food with fruit -I'll go without.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 01:52 pm
@Linkat,
I think you are the first berry hater I've ever met over the age of four. Eat them, they are good for you. How can you be an American and not eat cranberry sauce or peanut butter with jelly? What about tarts? Surely you eat tarts? Blueberry muffins!? I bet you eat blueberry muffins when no one is looking.
Linkat

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 02:00 pm
@Green Witch,
Nope I don't - I've been called unAmerican before as I destest Apple pie.

Hate blueberry muffins; hate cranberry sauce and forget about any jams or jelly. Cannot stand strawberry shortcake or any sort of fruit in my cakes, muffins, breads and tarts are disgusting! I could maybe do something with lemon in it though as that is simply the juice and flavor and not actually a solid part of the fruit.

About the only thing I really like though is cranberry juice - anything in the berry family that is - I cannot even stand a smoothie that has fruit products in it.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 02:19 pm
@Linkat,
No wonder you're like a size 2. OK then, more for the rest of us.
Linkat

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 02:22 pm
@Green Witch,
But I love veggies and I love them mixed with stuff - but not fruit. Go figure!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 04:11 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:
I don´t like Ikea very much either - but their meatballs are just top.

Friends of mine always ask me to serve meat balls when coming over for dinner because mine are sooo goood. They thought I made them myself - no Ikea.

Don´t fry them again, just warm them up in the gravy - otherwise they might get too hard.

Don´t forget they have to be served with Lingonsylt or if you can´t get it cranberries. Otherwise it is not really meatballs.

It'll still be meatballs, just not Swedish meatballs.
saab

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 12:22 am
@ehBeth,
What do you mean that meatballs from IKEA are not Swedish meatballs???
I am Swedish and I hardly know anyone who makes their own meatballs. Most people buy them ready made. Either froozen or not.
For Swedes abroad IKEA meatballs are lifesafers.
saab

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 12:42 am
@saab,
You can probably also buy the gräddsås or what ever they call the special gravy to go with the meatballs. Lingonberries I would guess you can get at IKEA too.
The only thing you can´t get will be new potatoes, but those you can really only get in Sweden in June. The rest of the year we eat just plain potatoes. You can also have them with mashed potatoes, but please homemade.