Zero's galore and why????

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 09:49 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I know who you mean. I go along behind and upthumb upthumb upthumb as I can.

This is why it tends to even out. If I see an undeserved 0 I always fix it. When it's trolling I make it -1.

If more people would help moderate the site through voting it'd be a better place. Vote the trolls and those who feed them (even if it's nice to see them put in their place they don't care, that just feeds them and doesn't help any of us) down. Vote the helpful and thoughtful posts up. Do that enough and the site gets better.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:45 am
@Robert Gentel,
totally.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 09:21 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert, explain something to me. You have a four and yet the thumb is colorless. Also, I created a thread for edgar when his brother died. It went from a seventeen to a thirteen. Why would four people do that?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 09:25 am
@Letty,
miss letty. I can answer one of your questions.

the thumbs are colorless because YOU have not voted on that post...
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 09:40 am
@Letty,
Letty wrote:
It went from a seventeen to a thirteen. Why would four people do that?

Maybe they didn't want to see it because it made them sad, maybe they don't know Edgar from Adam, maybe they just aren't interested. They must have their own reasons but not knowing the thread I really have no idea.

However I do think that you should care a whole lot less about that as it's often nothing personal. Not everyone is interested in all threads (that would make for a boring world) and it's not a bad thing unless you want it to be.
Letty

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 09:50 am
@Robert Gentel,
Unless I want it to be, Robert? Why would I want it to be a bad thing? The point that I am trying to make, is that if they didn't like the thread for edgar's brother, then just don't respond.

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 09:53 am
@Letty,
Letty wrote:
The point that I am trying to make, is that if they didn't like the thread for edgar's brother, then just don't respond.

And the point I was trying to make is that if they wanted to vote it down you shouldn't care so much.
djjd62

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 09:56 am
@Letty,
i have to agree, i don't collapse threads or ignore anyone, i just scroll past the threads that don't interest me, and sometimes i'll checkout a thread that i have no interest in if a poster i like to read has responded
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 10:00 am
@djjd62,
That's fine if you don't want to vote, but one of the main purposes of the ratings is to measure community interest in threads so there's nothing wrong with voting threads down that you find uninteresting. That's a big part of what voting is there for.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 10:00 am
@Robert Gentel,
I think it's because I am eternally curious about the reasoning behind such things. The very first post that I made on Abuzz was "curiousity".

I don't even know who the trolls are.
panzade

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 10:02 am
@djjd62,
I'm trying to do as Robert suggests, help police the site by thumbing down rude posts. I'll thumb up my fave threads though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 10:04 am
@Letty,
Letty wrote:
Why would four people do that?

the thing is, you don't know if it's 4 people or 12 people or 16 people. The only thing you can tell in an example like the one you've given is that 4 more people expressed some sort of interest in the thread than people who weren't interested in seeing the title of the thread in their list.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 10:24 am
@Letty,
Letty wrote:
I think it's because I am eternally curious about the reasoning behind such things. The very first post that I made on Abuzz was "curiousity".

Well being curious is one thing, I don't think that hurts much but in the past you've expressed that you sometimes don't post poetry because of this. I don't think you should let it stop you.

Quote:
I don't even know who the trolls are.

Each person might feel differently about that, which is why the voting is a more democratic process of handling censorship than having the mods decide for everyone.
Letty

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 11:13 am
@Robert Gentel,
Yes, poetry is different. There is something sacred about it. It requires inspiration and I suppose that is why I no longer write.

Rock, I did not mean to get your thread off topic.

Rockhead

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 11:31 am
@Letty,
it's purpose has been served, take it where you wish...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 11:37 am
for the past 3 - 4 days I've made a point of thumbs up or thumbs down as a general rule having nothing to do with politics or pov but solely on the basis of minimizing trolls.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 04:22 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

roger wrote:
If a single post is downrated enough, it collapses. One of those votes was my own. Maybe it's an old age thing, but I find myself becoming less tolerant of direct, personal insults, 'specially when they turn up in almost every post.

It isn't about opposing viewpoints.

this is what Robert's asked us to do, so I'm right in there thumbing down the insults
fewer on ignore, a few more being thumbed down
that way, newbies who haven't adjusted their settings aren't exposed to the nastiness

"quote" the nastiness and I'll do the same - still following Robert's suggestion/request

say something I don't agree with - but say it in a sensible way? as likely as not, I'll thumb it up. It's not about the comment, but the presentation.

What she said....though I generally just avoid threads with serial offenders in them.

But, I try and do it a bit more for the reasons Beth gave.

As for folk who go about down-grading perfectly reasonable and helpful comments, that's been around as long as I have known sites on the net where it could be done.

For example, there was/were somebod/ies on Abuzz who clearly spent HOURS a day down-grading people.

I think it's just like gravity...a weak force but universal. I assume it makes some folk feel good.

Shrugs.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 04:27 pm
@Letty,
Poetry's only going to appeal to a minority of the site's visitors.

I don't think that a low number means that people don't like your poetry in particular; they just don't visit A2K to read poetry.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 04:36 pm
For what it's worth, I make a clear separation between down thumbing threads and down thumbing posts.

I down thumb threads to clear my menu. I am attuned to a2k much of the week, checking in off and on each day, and I want to clear out what I don't want to keep seeing. This is usually without any negativity to someone's threads. (You want to talk about popularity? Ask me about my land use/architecture discussions, which I used to spend a great deal of time working up, reviewing architecture news, etc. I'm sure poetry is more popular.)

Re posts -
I thumb up for spiffy wordage - even from those I disagree with, if it's apt - and thumb down for rampant ad hominems, and other abuses.

0 Replies