Bear Activist killed by Grizzly

quinn1

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 05:00 pm
I saw living with tigers also...yep, a show to be watched

My thing is that this guy went into this with full knowledge and full belief that this could happen, he changed his what seems to be a very sad life to something he was able to share and educate people with...yes, he was nuts, yes he was odd but, eh..just a sad story really...for the bears as well.

I have my own thoughts about the things Sigfried is saying about the Tiger but, feel badly that Roy is in the shape he is in however, after this length of time...they should have known it was a possibility and anything else is just hooey.

The NY guy...not that anyone should have that happen to them, and sorry for the animals as well but, you know..theres an idiot for ya.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 05:18 pm
Hey quinn, I heard about that dude in Harlem. One question, if he was the new Noah, why only one of each? Laughing
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 06:05 pm

Look at that again! Wasn't that CAV????
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 06:08 pm
Did anybody ever see the Jeff Corwin Experience where he was visiting Buddhist monks who take care of tigers? It is sort of a humane society for them.Here's the episode transcript. It's typical Corwin -- corny but with good information. If you ever get to see the film footage, it is totally amazing. He's with monks in saffron robes who have only long sticks to guide the tigers (hence his reference to one). They take several full-grown tigers, for a walk to a rocky valley & some exercise where the tigers spar with each other and the young monks.

from the Royalty of Siam Jeff Corwin Experience

Quote:
Jeff Corwin
Okay, somewhere in here is something I want you to see. Ah, and this is it, you tricky devil. Isn't that great? Oh, what are you doing? You going for a swim? Isn't this great? That tiger is only about four months in age. He weighs about 30 pounds. Sh-sh-sh-sh-sh. And look in that mouth. See that? It's got those teeth. And those teeth will shear bone and muscle apart. And look at his coat, see that? He's got those bars. Those bars will break up his shape. You've got that central brown in between the black, okay? That helps him blend in with the earth and the bark. Then the bars will break up his shape so the predator, so the prey can't see his form. And those pads, look at the size of them. They're padded, okay, that way this creature, listen, when he jumps, he's practically silent. And inside those paws are huge claws. See those? Very, very sharp claws. And they're retracted, see, when he's in hunt mode, they come right out like that. And that is going to dig into the hide of a samba deer or whatever this animal is hunting.

Jeff Corwin
The conservation and protection of these big native cats is pursued by a group of Buddhist monks. Well, hello Mr. Chun. It's a pleasure to visit you again, sir. A pleasure. Can I shake? This is Chun. Chun is the head abbot here at this monastery, and he's in charge of keeping order here. This place is sort of a sanctuary for wildlife, right?

Chun
Yeah, right.

Jeff Corwin
Lots of animals have come to have peace and sanctuary here, but what's the animal that you like most that is protected here? Your most favorite animal?

Chun
Tiger.

Jeff Corwin
Tiger.

Chun
Tiger.

Jeff Corwin
And that's why we've come, to see some tigers in a very interesting situation.

Jeff Corwin
Hey, wait a minute. Excuse me, I've got a question. This isn't like Gladiator, is it? Because I'm kind of having the feeling, you know. Hey you guys, hey, wait a minute. Hey, should I have a stick?

Chun
Yeah.

Jeff Corwin
I should? Thanks. I'm getting a little nervous there. Oh, more tigers. So I'm just substitute, right, for the main gladiator. This wasn't in my contract, getting into a tiger pit.

Chun
Come here.

Jeff Corwin
Okay, he's saying come here. Okay, I've got my stick. Boy, he's got a lot of guts to grab a tiger by the tail. Yeah. Look at that guy over there. Do you have a high turnover rate here?

Chun
Yeah?

Jeff Corwin
Do you have a high turnover rate?

Chun
Yeah.

Jeff Corwin
Yeah, I would imagine so.

Jeff Corwin
Whoops, oh, uh-oh. See, they're just one big happy family here. It's a big family, right? Big family. Yeah, big family, except in this family, if you get a licking from your brother, you lose your arm, you know. These tigers, freed from inhumane captivity or orphaned by poachers, are unable to live in the wild. And they will spend the rest of their lives here at the monastery. Well, playtime is over, and it's time to head back to the main building, where the tigers sleep and are fed. The level trust and respect paid to the tigers is always apparent here.

Jeff Corwin
So, basically, what your monastery does is, when your tiger is sick, and someone has a tiger, they bring it to the monastery?

Chun
Yeah.

Jeff Corwin
And how many tigers do you have now?

Chun
We have ten now.

Jeff Corwin
Ten tigers. Are they a lot of work?

Chun
Yeah. Every day they eat a lot.

Jeff Corwin
They eat a lot?

Chun
Yeah.

Jeff Corwin
Yeah. While they may have shelter and people to look after them, these tigers are still wild animals, and they are by no means domesticated.

Chun
Oh, oh, no, no, we have, oh, no cows. No. No.

<here at the ending is where the oldest monk has a pretty hard time and has to grab hold of the collar to keep his tiger from chasing after a cow that is wandering about in the street -- It reminded me of an old man with a large German Shepherd that really really wants to chase a kitty.>

Sorry about the length of this post, but I love this show!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 12:43 pm
I'm reminded of an idiotic aunt of the first Mr. Noddy who used to drop in unannounced, uninvited and unwelcome and proclaim: "All animals love me."

The cat recognized her voice and headed under the bed. Aunt X would shriek, "I know where you are," and go under the bed after him. The second time this happened, she was badly scratched on the face and I couldn't summon up one bit of compassion.

I did provide hydrogen peroxide.

Unfortunately, there was no permanent scarring--but Aunt X continued to pursue the cat--she just stopped kissing him.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 12:50 pm
Puuurfect analogy!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 02:58 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I'm reminded of an idiotic aunt of the first Mr. Noddy who used to drop in unannounced, uninvited and unwelcome and proclaim: "All animals love me."

The cat recognized her voice and headed under the bed. Aunt X would shriek, "I know where you are," and go under the bed after him. The second time this happened, she was badly scratched on the face and I couldn't summon up one bit of compassion.

I did provide hydrogen peroxide.

Unfortunately, there was no permanent scarring--but Aunt X continued to pursue the cat--she just stopped kissing him.

Sounds like the woman had no clue. Chasing after animals who are hiding is just plain mean. It is a funny story though and it's good to know that you don't declaw your cats :-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 03:30 pm
Montana--

Believe me, that entire family was most peculiar. The family of the second Mr. Noddy is also colorful. My family, on the other hand, is wilfully peculiar.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 07:14 pm
LOL! I'm sure it keeps your life from getting dull ;-)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 04:09 am
Disregarding that wild animals are wild animals occasions much suffering, both for humans and critters. This passionate bear lover was the proximate cause of the unnecessary deaths of a couple of his subjects, which were guilty of nothing but being bears. Being noble, well-intentioned, and brave does not exclude one from being foolhardy. Treadwell's brazen stupidity got himself, his girlfreind, and two bears killed. I mourn the 3 innocent victims of the late idiot's indiscretion.
0 Replies

gml25

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 02:39 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Absolutely correct, friend. He was stupid, very stupid. Unfortunately, he was able to get the young woman involved. Hell, all he had to do is go to Glacier National Park for a very good education about bears. I thought the bears would get him sooner or later. Too bad he convinced the young woman to tag along.
0 Replies