Bear Activist killed by Grizzly

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 03:04 pm
The bear mauling was caught on the audio track of Treadwell's video camera. The last thing heard on the tape was the bear: "..tastes kinda like wild boar...".
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 03:05 pm
Not chicken eh....hmm....maybe they are smarter than us.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 03:11 pm
People are known as "long pig" amongst cannibals.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 03:20 pm
Which cannibals are you referring to cjhsa?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 03:24 pm
You know, I really don't know, I just heard this somewhere once. Probably Abuzz.... Wink
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 03:29 pm
Hmm...just from the translation, I would assume one of the Indonesian or Micronesian tribes, but I'll have to get back to you on that. Wink
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 03:30 pm
Are you researching new recipes, Cav???????
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 03:31 pm
Nah, just getting Anthropology class flashbacks....it will pass...
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 03:32 pm
whew.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 03:49 pm
Yeah, I've heard that too, Long Pig. Nice. Here's a reference from Robert Louis Stevenson...

Long-Pig

And the latest on this sad episode:
Katmai Bear Attack

Btw, both the Alaskan Brown Bear and the Grizzly are Ursus Arctos (Grizzly is further defined as Ursus Arctos Horribilis).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 03:57 pm
This Treadwell was an idiot who cost the life of another individual as well as two bears. The Park Service should have euthanized this guy long ago.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 04:18 pm
cjhsa....what about Roy...hes almost dead by all accounts, and the tiger is quarrantined ...should the view be the same or is pure entertainment value something to overlook the problem? BTW he may have cost the life of his girlfriend but, I would guess she was there of her own free will..or for the stupidity of love...so, idiocy is catchy maybe.

Glad that article Piffka said they wouldnt sell to the news media...I couldnt imagine how much Fox would pay for that audio tape, ugh.
heres cnn's view

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/10/09/bear.attack.ap/index.html
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 04:28 pm
Siegfreid and Roy do not hang out with wild animals. They raised that tiger from a baby and it was as gentle as a tiger can get. From all accounts, the tiger didn't even attack him, rather, the animal misjudged human frailty and injured him by accident. Lots of new details coming out.

I saw several "wild" tigers at the zoo last weekend. No way even an experienced trainer would go into a cage with them. The Sumatran tigers are especially vicious, though smaller than their Siberian cousins.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 04:32 pm
So by your account living with an animal is okay as long as you've domesticated it, and as long as they were trying to help you when they attack other than you trying to help them...its okay?

Also, so, you think the tigers at the zoo dont have human interaction? I was pretty sure that they had keepers, feeders and vets, but you know..I could be misguided.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 04:37 pm
I really don't follow your logic. A trained tiger vs. a wild grizzly... apples to oranges my friend.

Of course the tigers have interactions with humans at the zoo. Most of them would love to eat their keepers if they could. I watched the Sumatran male closely. He only had eyes for the overweight male keeper. If he'd escaped he would've ignored the rest of the people in the "lion house" and gone right after that guy. No question, he had a target.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 04:40 pm
http://www.etplanet.com/download/video/john-west-red-salmon-bear-fight.mov
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 04:42 pm
my logic is simple, to me your logic is a bit far fetched.
An animal is an animal is an animal...there is no changing that wether its in the wild, in a cage, or been 'domesticated for show'
The risk of damage due to animal attack is there no matter how the animal is raised and there are a great many incidents that prove that.
I think, that saying a tiger had just made a mistake when it almost killed someone is like saying a dog didnt really mean to bite...hello...thats nature.
So, IMO to say that a person in the wilderness, a person entering a cage at the zoo, or adopting, or training a wild animal all face the same possibility.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 04:48 pm
Oh...THOSE cannibals....getting back on track...shouldn't people just keep more human friends in general? I've got a dog, but he's like, 20 lbs.of fur, not a a giant predator that could devour you on a whim. I think the tiger/bear analogy is completely on the mark. Both cannot be predicted as to behaviour, they are both solitary hunters, and training be damned. Keeping these kinds of animals as pets is just hubris.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 04:53 pm
How about the guy in NY with the Tiger as a pet from a cub last week (oh and the aligator pet too)...but, you know..he considered himself the new Noah, even if he was attacked.
I would think that perhaps he needed more human friends but, ya know..who will befriend him? poor guy.
Automatic deletion from the gene pool..its the new wave.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 04:55 pm
Just now read about the bear attack ~ and yeah, it's sad. But this guy died doing what he loved. Being around bears. In my opinion, don't attack the bear for something he believed was a natural act ~ killing. The bear has to eat, too.

Roy, I think, would say the same. I remember seeing them perform when I was nine, in Madison Square Garden. Nevermind that it was an awesome performance ~ what I came away with was an acute respect for wild animals.....doesn't matter how long they are in captivity or how long they are among humans ~ they are still wild animals. The duo have been pushing their luck for years ~ doesn't matter how much they love their animals. Mother Nature doesn't care about love.

I was spellbound by the recent show on the Discovery Channel ~ 'Living with Tigers' ~ if you haven't seen it yet, WATCH IT.
0 Replies