Info -
IMac 4.1; Intel Core Duo
Processing Speed - 1.83 GHz, # of processors -1
L2 Cache per Processor - 2 MB
Memor - 1 GB
Bus Speed - 667 MHz
Boot Rom Version IM41.0055.Bo8
SMC Version - 1.1f5

Problem - I got an installation update from Safari and proceeded with it - as I remember it was something about I tunes and a shorter something about Safari. The update data was added as it usually is. over sometning like ten or fifteen minutes. but the installation bits got hung up - I gave up after 45 minutes to an hour and pressed the Stop button, and restarted the computer,
only to find it full of taffy.

My first thought was that I somehow chewed up the memory - but I can't check that since all I can get to work is -
- to start the machine
-- which brings me my usual desk top with the toolbar set on Finder (usual)
- I can get safari to open after opening the hard drive, but its usual opening page, google, won't load
- I can go to the apple icon in the toolbar and check About this Mac. which shows me not much, and then I click on more information and that took about twent minutes to load the little window that showed the data above.

I know there is a way to click on a few keys (apple, options, escape) when one has the hard drive open to access what program is taking up a lot of space, but I can't get that to load.

My computer is at home and I'm at Dys and Diane's.. so I can't just quickly check something. I'll be here for a while, and then come back tomorrow in cas anyone has any clues for me..

I've thought of defragging - but I only have Road Warrior from something like 2003, not very confident about using that. Have thought of disk aid, dunno...even if they would work, not sure my macchina has the gas for that.

I can't tell if it would be smart to hire a Mac person, or send for some memory (ram) that I could probably use anyway, or..

Oh, and my extended warranty is over.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,143 • Replies: 22
No top replies

JPB

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 03:48 pm
I'm absolutely clueless about macs but if you don't need the upgrade and you won't lose anything critical that was also added/downloaded that day try to do a system restore back to a couple days ago.

How one goes about doing that on a mac is beyond my ability to help.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 04:14 pm
@JPB,
Thanks.. I've heard pf system restore via all the pc questions, but haven't heard of it with a mac. will have to look in my thick book on Mac Tiger..
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 04:18 pm
i haven't been able to use safari since the last two updates, i've been using firefox, every time i try to launch safari, i get a message telling me it has to close due to an error
TTH

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 05:13 pm
@djjd62,
I haven't had any problems with Safari lately. When I did encounter a problem, I would go to the Apple site and look through their support forum to see if others had the same problem. The few times I went there others had the identical problem and a solution was posted.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 05:19 pm
@dyslexia,
There are probably several ways to go about this.

If you can get to the http://www.apple.com/safari page, you could try downloading Safari again and just letting it reinstall.

If you have TimeMachine you can probably recover an older version of Safari and use it to download the latest version again.

If you don't have any functioning web-browsers, then you can probably insert the Mac Install disks and look for a "custom install" to get yourself an older version of Safari loaded again.

0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 05:20 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
i haven't been able to use safari since the last two updates, i've been using firefox, every time i try to launch safari, i get a message telling me it has to close due to an error

This has been a recurring problem with Safari for some time. There are several online discussions (here's one) with people reporting their problems, but so far as I know Safari hasn't quite fixed the problem yet.
djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 05:29 pm
i'm happy with firefox, i used it exclusively before i had a mac, if i get safari to work i'll use it again, if not no big loss, it's not affecting my general computer use
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 05:32 pm
I have both Safari and Firefox and I switch back and forth.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 06:19 pm
A miracle, perhaps temporary, just occurred, after
today's shutdown and start. (I'm sure I shut it down more than once yesterday). Google opened - I'd waited up to 45 minutes or an hour before for it with no luck. And then a2k, which I had on my tool bar and couldn't open with multiple long loading tries yesterday and this morning.. And here it is. I don't trust it..

TTH, I woulda looked at the apple site, but couldn't get there. Then at D & D's house I ran into frustration with Diane's computer (not to complain about the use of her computer, but we're all different. The pages were too big for the screen, so I couldn't scroll with any ease. Her cursor is lightening fast and hard to see for my weird eyes. I couldn't even sign into a2k, as the cursor would freeze (turns out you have to pick from a list whether to delete, etc.) I almost showed up as ossobucotemp but failed even that. Must have been two hours, between that and trying to access yahoo.. a new personal low of feeling stupid.
Dys' computer was more happy making, but by that time I was tuckered out, and didn't go to the mac type sites, waiting for tomorrow. I did price additional ram, no problemo, assuming my mac and their memory match. I might do that anyway, whether baby is fixed or not.

Meantime, I forgot this data in the opening post - I'm using MAC OS X, 10.4.11
(I'm too cheap to upgrade to Leopard, which I think is OS X, 10.5).

DJ, once I gather my wits, I might manage to let the Mac people know about this. And then finally get Firefox. (I've been afraid getting that might make baby crash.)
Actually, it wasn't only a safari crash, in that I couldn't even throw out the trash, or I could, but it was a molasses like twenty minutes - a maneuver that is not in Safari, but is found under FINDER.

I'm still interested in comments about all this.

Wouldn't mind hearing about disk utility and defragging pros and cons.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 06:34 pm
@Shapeless,
Oh, that's good to hear (I have this tendency to think it is my computer problem, since I see myself as the problem, and reasonably so). Still, It doesn't make sense that my hard drive or ram would get so fragile.

I do remember some problem a year or two ago (you commented on that one, TTH) where all these damned white boxes showed up wanting me to make decisions, rather like what I saw on Diane's pc. Plus the cursor doing St. Vitus dance from time to time. I think I did disc aid to fix that one.

I did check a little earlier tonight and there's a new safari update. It says "This update is recommended for all Safari users and improves the stability of the Nitro JavaScript engine and includes the latest compatibility and security fixes."

I'm going to wait a bit. This is too hard on my psyche. I've been going through old New Yorkers for articles I'd skipped (I've no tv, don't pay attention to radio). Egads, I was forced to clean the kitchen and do the laundry.
parados

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 07:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Run Disk Utility and let it repair any problems.

My understanding is Mac doesn't need to defrag due to the way their disk operations work. I have never defragged a Mac but only run Disk Utility.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

but IMPORTANT.....
Quote:
Important: If you're using Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you should use Disk Utility instead of fsck, whenever possible.

TTH

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 07:27 pm
@ossobuco,
I ran the disk aid too, but that was a long time ago. Every time my computer crashed using Safari I would send the report to Apple. At first I was nice because they ask you to explain what you were doing at the time. After numerous crashes, I just got annoyed and would write something like - wth do you think I was doing???? and I continued to constantly flood them with reports.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 07:33 pm
@parados,
Thanks, Parados - my Tiger for Dummies book wasn't very helpful about that. I only tried defrag once with the Road Warrior thing back on my old early IMac, and it didn't find anything and then was hard to get off the desktop, for whatever reason, possibly something stupid like I needed to eject the disk, but I didn't know that then.

Yeh, TTH... give 'em hell.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 07:35 pm
@parados,
Uh oh, what's fsck, in case I use it by mistake..
TTH

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 07:43 pm
@ossobuco,
file system check
ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 07:50 pm
@TTH,
OK, I'll avoid that, thanks. (Memorizing)
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 07:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Actually it was the operating system crashing while Safari was running. What I kept experiencing was a Kernal panic and it could have been one of the peripheral devices connected to my computer. It just seems to me that by the report a programmer should be able to tell if it the system or a device that is causing the crash. I don't really know since I am not a programmer.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 07:55 pm
@ossobuco,
You won't unless you TRY to do it. It requires you open a terminal window to run.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 08:44 pm
@parados,
Good, thanks.