italian film that i can't remember the name of

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 11:42 am
would appreciate your help. i remember watching a movie in 1997/1998 that was filmed in italy i believe on the amalfi coast. the story featured a small group of woman staying in this villa overlooking the ocean. the women didn't know each other at the beginning. they were front different countries or perhaps all from england. they came to the villa as a get-away vacation from their spouses. some were thinking of divorce them. the story is about the bonding of these women and how they each figured out that they needed their spouses who ended up joining them in the end. does anyone know the name of this movie???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,355 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 12:50 pm
@crowney12,
Sounds like Enchanted April.
contrex

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 12:57 pm
@Green Witch,
Does this sound like it?

The story of four dissimilar women in 1920s England who leave their damp and rainy environs to go on a holiday to a secluded coastal castle in Italy. Mrs Arbuthnot and Mrs Wilkins, who belong to the same ladies' club but have never spoken, become acquainted after reading an advertisement for villas for rent in a newspaper. They find some common ground in that both are struggling to make the best of unhappy marriages. Having decided to seek other ladies to help share expenses, they reluctantly take on the waspish, elderly Mrs Fisher and the stunning, but aloof, Lady Caroline Dester. The four women come together at the castle and find rejuvenation in the tranquil beauty of their surroundings, rediscovering hope and love.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 02:14 pm
Sounds like Enchanted April to me too. I'm thinking it wasn't Amalfi, but then I didn't see the movie so that is only from movie review memory.
contrex

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 02:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I'm thinking it wasn't Amalfi

Right. The book appears to be set somewhere on the Riviera di Levante near Genova , and also the film was shot around Portofino, not far away.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 04:43 pm
@contrex,
That rings a bell now. I had been thinking it might be one more damned thing about Tuscany - which I like but which has gotten to be a worn travel cliche; it was worn when I first got there, quite a while ago. I say that jadedly, but I still usually read whatever book or see whatever movie. I'd missed this one.

I haven't been to either Amalfi or Portofino as in later life I've sort of avoided resorts when I could be seeing other places of more complex interest to me. But I know those are gorgeous areas. A friend of a friend lives/lived in Ravello, not that close to Amalfi, but not all so far, either, and I grew interested in it from researching it - and I've learned a bit about that levantine riviera via the a2k travel game ('where am I?') .
0 Replies