Big DVD Editing And Posting Problems

Sat 18 Jul, 2009 10:35 am
So I have a performance dvd that is one long 45 minute track. I need to get it on hard drive and edit it down to a 5 minute demo dvd... and I need to post snippets on various internet forums, myspace, facebook etc... and do an electronic press kit.

Some helpful people here and other places have suggested freeware that does this... but it might as well be written in sanskrit. I can't figure it out.

Can anyone help me out? Step by step like I'm a 4 year old?

I really need to get this done and I'm 2 steps away from shelling out money I don't really have to get it done.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,713 • Replies: 10
Topic Closed
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Sat 18 Jul, 2009 12:44 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
First you need to get the DVD ripped to a format you can edit. For this step you can use DVDx (free): http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdx/

I haven't used it myself so I can't give you step-by-step instructions but if you search for "dvdx tutorial" or "dvdx walk through" you should be able to find that. You can also find other options for this step by searching for "dvd to avi".

Once you have the DVD ripped to a format like AVI that you can edit, you can use Window Movie Maker (should be a free program that came with Windows, more info here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/default.mspx ) to edit the video. Once you get to this step if you have any problems feel free to ask, I can poke around in the software and see if I can figure out the answer.

Now you should have your edited video, and the last step is posting it online. The best format for online video is .flv, which is Flash video like on Youtube or MySpace video etc. The easiest way to do this step is to just upload it to a video sharing site, as they'll do the conversion for you and you'll then have a hosted video. Here are three recommendations for this:

1) Youtube: The advantage here is that this is by far the largest video site on the internet.

2) MySpace Video: The advantage here would be if you already use MySpace as a marketing tool.

3) Vimeo: The advantage here is higher quality video.
Bi-Polar Bear

Sat 18 Jul, 2009 04:35 pm
@Robert Gentel,
This may as well be written in aramaic...there's nothing there that says rip dvd....I can't follow it at all... it's asking questions that I have no idea what they mean
Robert Gentel

Sat 18 Jul, 2009 05:08 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
What are you talking about? The post? The first program?

If it was the first program, try bitRipper, which seems very simple. See these screenshots:

http://www.bitripper.com/screenshots.html

You can get it here:

http://www.bitripper.com/download.html
Bi-Polar Bear

Sat 18 Jul, 2009 05:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I understood you Robert but the program, which specifically states it's user friendly.... is either not reaally or I'm retarded., because I wasted enough ink to print out the enitire help page, followed the directions to the letter except that I have no idea if the format is pal ot ntsc or whatever the hell that means, and when I finished i got a message saying it couldn't encode the dvd. there was no avi option even though they said there was.
Bi-Polar Bear

Sun 19 Jul, 2009 09:53 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Well the dvd ripper worked percvectly and then I edited a nice demo on movie maker... saved it... now facebook, myspace, email, won't read the file in the movie maker format but there is no option to save it as anyting but a moviemaker format? Suggestions?
Robert Gentel

Sun 19 Jul, 2009 02:34 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
In Windows Movie Maker saving will only save a "project" that you can keep working on and not a video for viewing outside of Movie Maker.

To make a video file for viewing and distribution you should select "Publish Movie" and then select "This Computer" and it will make a file (defaults to AVI) that you can upload to those sites).
Chumly

Sun 19 Jul, 2009 02:43 pm
I might comment as the thread progresses/digresses and the wind whistles through the pines, but for the moment the dog would like a walk around the lake.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Mon 20 Jul, 2009 09:00 am
@Robert Gentel,
you're the man..... thanks a lot. I really have been stumped on this and as usual, I just needed someone to tell me what buttons to push.

Now if you could help me figure out this recording software... Mr. Green
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Mon 20 Jul, 2009 11:54 am
finally got one up... facebook won't accept...myspace takes forever but took it.... sound quality is horrible... came off the mic mounted on the camera... the Cirkus dvd we did actually will have a full 5.1 stereo audio mix....

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.channel&channelid=485012270
0 Replies

parados

Mon 20 Jul, 2009 12:35 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
US is NTSC..

PAL is Europe
0 Replies