Should NASA go to Mars or back to the Moon?

High Seas

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 02:27 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
.........My point is that the new world was discovered serendipitously via the impetus of Spanish racism (Jews coming to Spain 300 BC (BCE) were not "true Spaniards," since they were not Catholic; they were more "Spanish" than the Christianized Visigoths).

Foofie - you will excuse me for observing that this is the most breathtaking nonsense I've ever seen posted on this site by any literate person.

In the year 300 BC (before Christ) aka BCE (before Christian Era) Spain, you say, was populated by "Christianized" Visigoths, who did not, you continue, welcome any Jews, since the Jews were not" Catholic"?!

You know neither history nor arithmetic and the sole explanation you can supply for any phenomenon is "antisemitism". I'm sorry you're on perpetual ignore far as I'm concerned, effective immediately - education is wasted on people like you.

High Seas

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 02:29 pm
@Francis,
With respect, Francis, it's not "deluded Foofie"; the person is undoubtedly "delusional Foofie".
Francis

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 02:32 pm
@High Seas,
Thanks for the remark, HS, I always appreciate accuracy..
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 02:46 pm
@High Seas,
helen is very calculating (for a gurl)
High Seas

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 02:54 pm
@dyslexia,
Speaking of calculations, and going back to the topic here, the best current plan for going to Mars seems to be this one:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/air_space/4322647.html?page=2
Quote:
The last step toward Mars, around 2025, would be a landing on the planet’s 17-mile-wide moon Phobos, which orbits less than 4000 miles above Mars. A Phobos base would be the perfect perch from which to monitor and control the robots that will build the infrastructure on the Martian surface, in preparation for the first human visitors.

In recent years my philosophy on colonizing Mars has evolved. I now believe that human visitors to the Red Planet should commit to staying there permanently. One-way tickets to Mars will make the missions technically easier and less expensive and get us there sooner. More importantly, they will ensure that our Martian outpost steadily grows as more homesteaders arrive.

The late von Braun had a plan for going to Mars back in the 1970s, and President Nixon supported it - however after his resignation NASA lost the related funding.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 03:02 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Foofie wrote:
.........My point is that the new world was discovered serendipitously via the impetus of Spanish racism (Jews coming to Spain 300 BC (BCE) were not "true Spaniards," since they were not Catholic; they were more "Spanish" than the Christianized Visigoths).

Foofie - you will excuse me for observing that this is the most breathtaking nonsense I've ever seen posted on this site by any literate person.

In the year 300 BC (before Christ) aka BCE (before Christian Era) Spain, you say, was populated by "Christianized" Visigoths, who did not, you continue, welcome any Jews, since the Jews were not" Catholic"?!

You know neither history nor arithmetic and the sole explanation you can supply for any phenomenon is "antisemitism". I'm sorry you're on perpetual ignore far as I'm concerned, effective immediately - education is wasted on people like you.

I am saying that Jews migrated to Spain around 300 BC, and at the time of the Inquisition (1492 AD) were told that they were not "true Spaniards" because they were not Catholic. They were more Spanish than the then Christianized Visigoths (those that settled in Spain before Spain's modern history), having been there since 300 BC. The Spaniards were obviously racist at that time in history, since they expelled Jews for being Jews, and not Christians. By the way, some historians do admit that Columbus' father was likely a Spanish Jew, and that might explain his not going to a university to learn navigation (Jews were not admitted to University).

I hope you are not trivializing the degree of Spanish anti-Semitism in the country's history. A more secular explanation could be that the Spanish Jews had been quite loyal to the prior Moslem (Moorish) regime in Spain, and the new Catholic Spanish regime thought they could rid the country of those that were loyal to the Moors, plus fatten the treasury with the holdings of Spanish Jews being expelled. But, this explanation also reflects anti-Semitism, since one is still anti-Semitic if Jews are just considered expendable to a country, and can be disenfranchised from their citizenship with aplomb (and a bogus rationale).
High Seas

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 03:11 pm
@Foofie,
Aaaaargh, I forgot to put you on ignore! Stop it with the antisemitism rant, Foofie, you're a terminal bore, and this thread is about space missions to Mars - please take your revisionist appercu elsewhere!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 03:13 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

Deluded foofie wrote:
Another version I read was that the Inquisition came along at the end of the reconquista, and Columbus, with the aid of Spanish Jewish financiers went to look for a land around India that was supposed to be an autonomous land where Jews lived, and governed themselves (and the Spanish Jews leaving Spain would have another destination choice, rather than just Italy, Holland or Portugal).

If you knew only a little bit of history, you would know that these kind of theories arise time to time but they have a common point: - wishful thinking.

Obviously, you are not know for you historic accuracy or even for your impartial reasoning..

Sorry, the author of the book I am referring to did research in both the Spanish National Archives, and the Vatican Archives. Both curators purportedly said that they do not mind if the conclusion was that Columbus was from a Jewish paternal family, but that he was either not Italian (Spanish curator) or Spanish (Vatican curator).

Your being a nice Catholic boy, I must discount your retort to me as possibly reflecting your education, that might have not been based on total intellectual honesty, but perhaps a bit of Parochial school hubris. You have mentioned Jesuit teachers in the past. They might have left out such "vulgarities" as a Jewish Columbus to their students?
High Seas

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 03:28 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie - for the last time: this thread is on MARS, not on jewish or catholic boys. Please take a hint, that's Mars, the planet, and here's a picture for easy identification:
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/images/mars.jpg
Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 03:30 pm
Normally, i'd just ignore it . . . but it's trashing the thread. Foofie is a f*ckin' idiot, and if you ignore it, it will eventually go away.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:09 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Foofie - for the last time: this thread is on MARS, not on jewish or catholic boys. Please take a hint, that's Mars, the planet, and here's a picture for easy identification:
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/images/mars.jpg

You are concerned about exploring Mars, and this planet has more problems than one can shake a stick at. No wonder society is devolving! Go explore Mars. Good riddance.
Eorl

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 10:44 pm
@Foofie,
People are eating ice-cream while dolphins are getting caught in shark nets. No wonder bicycles have two wheels. Go explore your closet. Good Grief.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 09:30 am
foofie, making a bet, wrote:
Your being a nice Catholic boy,

Mere supposition on your part, obviously unfounded..

then, having lost his first bet, wrote:
I must discount your retort to me as possibly reflecting your education,

As previously, you know nothing about my education..

foofie wrote:
that might have not been based on total intellectual honesty
How can you judge intellectual honesty, having displayed from the beginning on A2K the lack of the most elementary ethics?

and wrote:
but perhaps a bit of Parochial school hubris.

Non sequitur.

foofie wrote:
You have mentioned Jesuit teachers in the past.

Senility is threatening you, foofie. I mentioned them but for the education of a dear friend here on A2K, not to me..

Overall, I see you as a sore old man, looking for a past, which after all, was not so glorious, having generated by-products as your poor self..

Foofie

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 06:01 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

Overall, I see you as a sore old man, looking for a past, which after all, was not so glorious, having generated by-products as your poor self..

I see you as a bon vivant. A great liver. Women swoon when they see you. Men have an uncontrollable urge to bow as you pass. The world is your oyster. Charlemagne would have been jealous of you. May I call you Emperor?

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 09:11 pm
Was anyone lucky enough to see the solar eclipse today?
Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 10:21 pm
Unfortunately, we had cloud cover . . . did you see it?
rosborne979

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:33 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Unfortunately, we had cloud cover . . . did you see it?

No, I was on the other side of the planet at the time. But I did see the 1997 total eclipse in Aruba. It was the most awesome natural event I've ever witnessed. I hope to see another one someday. I believe there is one scheduled to pass through the central US in a few years (2017).

Eclipse map for 2011 to 2020
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 09:13 am
@Setanta,
I've not seen this one but I had the pleasure to watch the 1999 solar eclipse.

A really amazing event..

Take a look here
High Seas

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 05:13 pm
@rosborne979,
At last the thread seems to be back on track, space exploration; this is an actual photograph of the aurora over Jupiter's North Pole. Part of the electronic tracks are caused by Europa and 2 other Jupiter satellites: http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA03155
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpegMod/PIA03155_modest.jpg
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:58 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

I've not seen this one but I had the pleasure to watch the 1999 solar eclipse.

A really amazing event..

Take a look here

Did you actually see the totality, or only a partial (the edge)?

I've seen many partial eclipses before, but the totality was a completely different experience. I was on the beach in Aruba on a clear day in 1998. Some of us were there specifically to see the eclipse, but most people just happened to be there on vacation when it happened. They didn't know what to expect. Tourists were gathered in groups on the sand, many of them only peripherally aware of the eclipse and how lucky they were to be there at that time. The air grew cool. The shadows deepened and the street lights began to come on (in the middle of the day). Until the last moment the sun is still too bright to look at, even when there's only a tiny sliver left. The full shadow swept over the beach starting to the south and we could hear people gasp and scream as it raced up the beach. And then the sun winked out and was replaced by what seemed for all the world just like a giant eye staring cool and calmly down. I think I forgot to breathe for a while. People around me fell to their knees. Some cried. I think I fell on my ass, but I don't remember actually sitting down.

Pictures of the totality don't do it justice, the pictures all look so tiny. But when you're there it looks enormous, like it fills the whole sky. For a few brief minutes it feels like nature comes alive and looks at you, and you feel both tiny and titanic at the same moment. I'll never forget it.

0 Replies