Should NASA go to Mars or back to the Moon?

BillRM

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 07:33 pm
@Thomas,
Oh Thomas to blow one hell of a hole in the statement that we do not need humans in space but can depend on robots may I please point out that the most successful scientific instrument in history up to this point would had been a billion dollars worth of orbiting junk without Humans?

Name of the Hubble space telescope.

Second human life had never been priceless and humans had always been more then welling to risk their lives for fun less along for the benefit of all of mankind!

I do not consider myself a dare devil but I had in my past jump out of planes for the fun of it and flown a 300 pounds aircraft to over 6000 feet also for the fun of it and would very cheerfully take a ride into space at the current risk levels.

Hell a number of men had spend over twenty million each of their own funds to take a ride to the space station risk be damn.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 07:41 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:
If NASA were to exert itself in a new attempt to land on either Mars or on our Moon, which should it be first?

Neither. Robots do both jobs just fine. Improve them as necessary. Make more variants specialized on more different tasks. Take advantage of mass production to make them cheaper. Then send up them instead of humans.

Humans in space are more trouble than they're worth. They are -- how do I say this in good taste? -- messy. Humans in space are incredibly expensive to keep hydrated, fed, and breathing. It's expensive to get rid of their poop, their pee, and their CO2. Unlike robots, they have to sleep eight hours a day. And their muscles need to exercise all the time lest they fade away.

The major disadvantage of using robots is that they can't deliver postcards of astronauts in front of an American flag on the Moon or Mars. But in my opinion, that's not worth the extra cost. You can send up a lot of robots before you match the cost of flying humans through outer space. And that's what NASA should keep doing: Send up lots of robots.

The major disadvantage of using robots is that it doesn't help you to send humans into space, which is actually the goal. A baby cannot stay in its cradle forever. There are a couple of hundred billion stars (suns) in our galaxy alone, and you want the human race confined to just one forever?
Thomas

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 07:49 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
The major disadvantage of using robots is that it doesn't help you to send humans into space, which is actually the goal.

Is it? I thought the goal was to find out as much as we can about space.

To steal a phrase from Setanta, humans in space are a matter of uttermost indifference to me.
BillRM

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 08:04 pm
@Thomas,
You can have more then one goal at a time and humans having self supporting settlements off earth is a long term goal at least worth the same as exploring space.

All the information from space probes would be completely worthless if the whole human race ended up being kill by the Yellowstone super volcano for example.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 08:48 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
The major disadvantage of using robots is that it doesn't help you to send humans into space, which is actually the goal.

Is it? I thought the goal was to find out as much as we can about space.

To steal a phrase from Setanta, humans in space are a matter of uttermost indifference to me.

Sad. I guess humanity should have stayed confined to one small area of Africa forever.
Eorl

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 03:53 am
@Brandon9000,
It should be Mars. "We choose to go to the moon, to prove we still can" isn't going to inspire the world that much.

Not sure if it will be, or even should be NASA though.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 06:29 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

It should be Mars. "We choose to go to the moon, to prove we still can" isn't going to inspire the world that much.

Not sure if it will be, or even should be NASA though.

It has nothing to do with proving we still can. It's a matter of doing tasks of gradually increasing difficulty. Far better to do one that's next door and easy, where we can get ships back and forth quickly as a warm-up, and do the more difficult one when we gain some experience. It's not as though Mars were more inhabitable than the Moon or something. It is a good idea to build up the ability and the infrastructure in slow, steady steps. Going to Mars first is like telling a baby to skip the crawling stage and start with walking. It should be the Moon, then Mars, then the outer planets.
Thomas

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 06:43 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
You can have more then one goal at a time and humans having self supporting settlements off earth is a long term goal at least worth the same as exploring space.

Why? Why is the goal of human settlements in space important to you? (You weren't serious about the Yellowstone Super Volcanoe, were you?)
Thomas

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 06:54 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Sad. I guess humanity should have stayed confined to one small area of Africa forever.

That's a clever analogy, but I don't think it works. If Lucy, the first human, had had robots at her disposal, she might have launched robotic expeditions to Eurasia to see what it's like out there. The robots would then have come back with information suggesting that Eurasia was a good place for humans to live, as it was evidently a good place for all kinds of other animals to live. Lucy and her family would then have concluded that maybe it was time to send humans to Eurasia. And they would have been correct.

But that's not what we found when we sent probes to the moon and to Mars. Here our intelligence is telling us that these places, much unlike Eurasia, are hostile to human life. There's nothing up there worth moving away from Earth for. So, unlike in the case of our African ancestors, the straightforward conclusion is to explore these places with whatever means give us the most insight for the money. These means probably won't involve humans in space.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 08:00 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

That's a clever analogy, but I don't think it works. If Lucy, the first human, had had robots at her disposal, she might have launched robotic expeditions to Eurasia to see what it's like out there. The robots would then have come back with information suggesting that Eurasia was a good place for humans to live, as it was evidently a good place for all kinds of other animals to live. Lucy and her family would then have concluded that maybe it was time to send humans to Eurasia. And they would have been correct.

But that's not what we found when we sent probes to the moon and to Mars. Here our intelligence is telling us that these places, much unlike Eurasia, are hostile to human life. There's nothing up there worth moving away from Earth for. So, unlike in the case of our African ancestors, the straightforward conclusion is to explore these places with whatever means give us the most insight for the money. These means probably won't involve humans in space.

God in Heaven! No one has seriously believed for a long time that anyplace else in this solar system is inhabitable by humans. What about the trillions of other solar systems??? The sun is a star and there are trillions of other stars, you know - a couple of hundred billion in the Milky Way Galaxy alone? The last I heard, they thought that more than half of those stars had planetary systems like the sun does. The other places in the solar system, apart from any mining possibilities, or just the adventure, are just a stepping stone. What about the possibility of other civilizations out there among those trillions of worlds?
rosborne979

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 08:18 am
Let me rephrase the question slightly.

Let's say a consortium of ridiculously wealthy billionaires decided to pool their resources for a space mission to reach either the Moon or Mars within the next 20 years.
And let's say they have two goals:
1. To make new discoveries which would benefit mankind in some way
2. To usher in a new generation of enthusiasm for space exploration

Which target would you choose?
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 08:45 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Let me rephrase the question slightly.

Let's say a consortium of ridiculously wealthy billionaires decided to pool their resources for a space mission to reach either the Moon or Mars within the next 20 years.
And let's say they have two goals:
1. To make new discoveries which would benefit mankind in some way
2. To usher in a new generation of enthusiasm for space exploration

Which target would you choose?

Why isn't one of the goals to systematically build up the technology and infrastructure for a permanent human presence in space, eventually culminating in trips to other solar systems (admittedly very far in the future)?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 09:02 am
Quote:

One Giant Leap to Nowhere
TOM WOLFE
Published: July 18, 2009
WELL, let’s see now ... That was a small step for Neil Armstrong, a giant leap for mankind and a real knee in the groin for NASA.

Apollo ProgramThe American space program, the greatest, grandest, most Promethean " O.K. if I add “godlike”? " quest in the history of the world, died in infancy at 10:56 p.m. New York time on July 20, 1969, the moment the foot of Apollo 11’s Commander Armstrong touched the surface of the Moon.

As a result, the space program has been killing time for 40 years with a series of orbital projects ... Skylab, the Apollo-Soyuz joint mission, the International Space Station and the space shuttle. These programs have required a courage and engineering brilliance comparable to the manned programs that preceded them. But their purpose has been mainly to keep the lights on at the Kennedy Space Center and Houston’s Johnson Space Center " by removing manned flight from the heavens and bringing it very much down to earth. The shuttle program, for example, was actually supposed to appeal to the public by offering orbital tourist rides, only to end in the Challenger disaster, in which the first such passenger, Christa McAuliffe, a schoolteacher, perished.

Forty years! For 40 years, everybody at NASA has known that the only logical next step is a manned Mars mission, and every overture has been entertained only briefly by presidents and the Congress. They have so many more luscious and appealing projects that could make better use of the close to $10 billion annually the Mars program would require. There is another overture even at this moment, and it does not stand a chance in the teeth of Depression II.

“Why not send robots?” is a common refrain. And once more it is the late Wernher von Braun who comes up with the rejoinder. One of the things he most enjoyed saying was that there is no computerized explorer in the world with more than a tiny fraction of the power of a chemical analog computer known as the human brain, which is easily reproduced by unskilled labor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/19/opinion/19wolfe.html?pagewanted=3&_r=1
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 10:09 am
Quote:
Only in human spaceflight do we celebrate the anniversary of an achievement that seems more difficult to repeat than to accomplish the first time. Only in human spaceflight can we find in museums things that most of us in the space business wish we still had today.

The United States spent eight years and $21 billion -- around $150 billion today -- to develop a transportation system to take people to the moon. We then spent less than four years and $4 billion using it, after which we threw it away. Not mothballed, or assigned to caretaker status for possible later use. Destroyed. Just as the Chinese, having explored the world in the early 15th century and found nothing better than what they had at home, burned their fleet of ships.

We gave up the frontier of our time

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/17/AR2009071702019.html?hpid=opinionsbox1
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 10:14 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Only in human spaceflight do we celebrate the anniversary of an achievement that seems more difficult to repeat than to accomplish the first time. Only in human spaceflight can we find in museums things that most of us in the space business wish we still had today.

The United States spent eight years and $21 billion -- around $150 billion today -- to develop a transportation system to take people to the moon. We then spent less than four years and $4 billion using it, after which we threw it away. Not mothballed, or assigned to caretaker status for possible later use. Destroyed. Just as the Chinese, having explored the world in the early 15th century and found nothing better than what they had at home, burned their fleet of ships.

We gave up the frontier of our time

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/17/AR2009071702019.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Yes, the stupidity of Congress and their ephemeral commitments. We should do it again, but this time systematically, and not as a stunt.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 10:39 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Yes, the stupidity of Congress and their ephemeral commitments. We should do it again, but this time systematically, and not as a stunt

Jesus, you are slow.......Human space flight does not have a constituency strong enough to make it happen. In Washington there is neither the will to get it done, nor the forthright-fullness to admit that we are not going to do it. As a result every few years some dreamers trot out the idea of going into space again, and in the proecess getting neophytes such as yourself all worked up, over something that is not going to happen in the foreseeable future. It gets old.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 10:47 am
are you spam?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 10:52 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Yes, the stupidity of Congress and their ephemeral commitments. We should do it again, but this time systematically, and not as a stunt

Jesus, you are slow.......Human space flight does not have a constituency strong enough to make it happen. In Washington there is neither the will to get it done, nor the forthright-fullness to admit that we are not going to do it. As a result every few years some dreamers trot out the idea of going into space again, and in the proecess getting neophytes such as yourself all worked up, over something that is not going to happen in the foreseeable future. It gets old.

I guess you're the slow one since I have consistently spoken about what ought to happen and never about what is likely to happen. Furthermore, it is in the nature of Congress to go with what is popular at the moment, rather than what is wise, resulting in their commitments following every fad and being ephemeral, as I said.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 11:11 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
I guess you're the slow one since I have consistently spoken about what ought to happen and never about what is likely to happen

Yes, I GET that you are yet another a2k'er who thinks that it is perfectly reasonable and acceptable to tell everyone else what it is that they should want...
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 11:34 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I guess you're the slow one since I have consistently spoken about what ought to happen and never about what is likely to happen

Yes, I GET that you are yet another a2k'er who thinks that it is perfectly reasonable and acceptable to tell everyone else what it is that they should want...

Stating my opinion of what is good or what would be good if it happened, as everyone else in the world, including you, does, is normal. Let's explore this further. According to you, I shouldn't state my opinions here on the message board?