Should NASA go to Mars or back to the Moon?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 05:26 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Because our government doesn't have the money to do either, much less both. We aren't paying the bills as it is. Maybe China, Germany or Korea will do one or the other, but the US won't. Some might find that offensive, but that doesn't change the reality that the US public likes to dream big but is not willing to sacrifice even a little for it.

Perhaps we can convince people that there are aliens that need going to war with. That sure seems to motivate the populace to spend never-ending amounts of money on stuff. We could have set up several colonies for the amount of money which has been spent on Iraq alone.

I'm sure you will recall that many of the same arguments that you are currently making were made by those who didn't support Kennedy's dream of a man on the moon, either. Almost exactly the same, really. And they were wrong, and we're better for the fact that those who would hold back progress in the name of timidity were ignored.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 05:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
So what? The species survives.

If we, as a species, foul our own nest to the point where the Earth is uninhabitable then I would question whether the continuation of the species is really a noble goal.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 05:37 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
If we, as a species, foul our own nest to the point where the Earth is uninhabitable then I would question whether the continuation of the species is really a noble goal.
More importantly, if we can't make a go of it on Earth I seriously doubt we have a chance anywhere.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 05:38 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
So what? The species survives.

This posits that the mistakes of a tiny few could damn all of us. I don't agree with that. For example, Russia or some other country could decide to fire off all their missiles, b/c their senior military staff has all gone paranoid and crazy. Does the rest of humanity deserve to perish forever based on their decision?

Researchers for the US gov't could accidentally release a super-version of the flu that they created. It kills 99% percent of the population. Do we deserve to die for all time based on this alone?

There are many factors which could lead to a real ******* of the human race other then just polluting ourselves to death... it behooves us to consider all these factors before declaring that everything is cool and no contingency plans need to be in place.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 05:54 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I'm sure you will recall that many of the same arguments that you are currently making were made by those who didn't support Kennedy's dream of a man on the moon, either. Almost exactly the same, really. And they were wrong, and we're better for the fact that those who would hold back progress in the name of timidity were ignored.

Well, no, I can't recall those arguments. How old do you think I am? The reality is that they weren't wrong. We went to the Moon, killed a few people, got some rocks. We are better off not because Armstrong stepped on the Moon, but because we poured money into applied research, something I am all in favor of. Nor did Kennedy want to go to the Moon out of a great sense of our manifest destiny as a star faring race. He wanted to go to the Moon because Sputnik had a commie hating, bomb fearing public shaking in its boots. I do agree that the cost of the Iraq war would have funded a pretty darn good space program. Unfortunately, we borrowed all the money for the war, so it wasn't there to spend anyway (and of course I would suggest spending it on other things if it was.)

Still, I understand your arguments and you put them out there well. I feel I've done the same, so maybe one of us will persuade some third party and make all of this worthwhile.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 06:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
So you think we should fake some more moon missions for progress?
Cycloptichorn

@engineer,
I honestly believe it could be a commercial endeavor.

There are many asteroids out there which are basically nothing but gigantic chunks of metals. If you go get them, you have an immensely valuable commodity - you would be as rich, in terms of actual goods held, as pretty much any nation on the planet (even the US) and if you got one of the REALLY good ones, with a factory for extracting the metals, you would have wealth equivalent to the entire planet, combined.

Expensive to get there, but the first company who does re-defines their status instantly.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
So you think we should fake some more moon missions for progress?

Laughing Good one!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 06:18 pm
@littlek,
Cyclo is going to know the name of this thing, i always forget. It is possible to use any old trash you want as propulsion fuel, using metal rods wrapped in plain old copper wire, and through which a very modestly low voltage current is passed. This is one of the wonderful things about eventually getting to the "asteroid" belt, or the rings of Saturn. You just hook on to a lump of rock, or a huge snowball, and start pooting small amounts out the back with your electro-magnetic impulse engine. The greatest expense is getting set up on the Moon to being with. After that, you can get everything you need elsewhere.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 06:45 pm
Actually, the great thing about putting Man in space is putting Man in space, not just developing technology. I'm sure that thousands of years ago, some cave man wanted to find out what was over the next hill and was told that it was a silly flight of fancy. However, we're better off for expanding to fill the Earth and not remaining confined to sub-Saharan African where we evolved. In doing so, we gained things that could scarcely have been imagined when we began to expand beyond the place where we evolved.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 07:08 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Cyclo is going to know the name of this thing, i always forget. It is possible to use any old trash you want as propulsion fuel, using metal rods wrapped in plain old copper wire, and through which a very modestly low voltage current is passed. This is one of the wonderful things about eventually getting to the "asteroid" belt, or the rings of Saturn. You just hook on to a lump of rock, or a huge snowball, and start pooting small amounts out the back with your electro-magnetic impulse engine. The greatest expense is getting set up on the Moon to being with. After that, you can get everything you need elsewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_thruster

Hook 'em to solar panels and the things fly themselves back. And we could build better ones, too. Faster.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
if we can't make a go of it on Earth I seriously doubt we have a chance anywhere.

Lord Hawkeye we are all now sitting on a planet that had have all it large animal life wipe out more then once and it will surely happen in the future and that future could be near term for all we know.

We need to spread out.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
My Hawkeye you are very down on the US but even if you happen to be correct it does not matter as we are not the cneter of the universe and if not us and it not the West it will be others who will grab the future.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:37 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
but at least those neighbors would exist---which is more than can be said about the actual post-Columbus America

The people still exist and the blood lines still exist the only thing that does not still exist is two cultures one who provided slaves from birth and the other slaveholders from birth with human sacrifices thrown in.

Perhaps you see some benefits in having such a situation and can cry tears about it no longer existing but I can not do so.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 07:33 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
What is the value of individual human beings surviving, as compared to the entire species? I don't understand this line of argument at all.

Well, let me explain it to you then. Let's say the Earth hosts 10 billion humans when the Big Killer Meteor approaches. To me, the cost of the meteor strike to humanity exactly equals the value of 10 billion human lives.

Now there's two things humanity can do about it. (Probably more, but let's keep it simple.) One is to go with you and invest our resources in Mars colonies.That way, 9,999,950,000 humans still get wiped out, and 50,000 survive on Mars. (I doubt they'll survive for long once Earth is gone, but let's leave that aside for a moment.)

The other approach is to go with engineer's philosophy: We invest the same amount of resources to develop meteor-busting technology. This increases the probability p that those 10 billion humans survive---that instead of one Big Comet, they get hit by a billion shooting stars, each of which allows them to make a wish.

How do we decide between the two approaches? My approach is to allocate each extra dollar according to the statistically expected number of human lives that this dollar will save, given the probability p I just talked about. Because saving Earth protects Vasly more human lives than colonizing Mars, p has to be very small until engineers approach loses out to yours. Therefore I would invest almost all of humanity's dollars into engineer's approach.

And that's what my line of argument is about.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
I have very little interest in spending money to ensure that others - or even myself! - survive a few years longer, which is what the fight against Cancer does.

See? That's where we disagree.

And that'
BillRM

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 09:38 am
@Thomas,
Sorry Thomas but your logic is very very weak indeed.

A human race who had developed the technology to spread our into the solar system is far more likely to be able to stop large scale threats to earth such as asteroids then one who had just developed a possible response to one threat model.

In addition, if all else fail we still would survive if all life was once and I repeat once more wipe from the planet no matter how that great die out might occur.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 09:44 am
@Thomas,
Quote:

Well, let me explain it to you then. Let's say the Earth hosts 10 billion humans when the Big Killer Meteor approaches. To me, the cost of the meteor strike to humanity exactly equals the value of 10 billion human lives.

Now there's two things humanity can do about it. (Probably more, but let's keep it simple.) One is to go with you and invest our resources in Mars colonies.That way, 9,999,950,000 humans still get wiped out, and 50,000 survive on Mars. (I doubt they'll survive for long once Earth is gone, but let's leave that aside for a moment.)

You're wrong about the colony not surviving without Earth, for one simple reason: Earth will never be able to provide a significant amount of material support to any colony. The distances are so big, that it's a huge start-up shot and then self-sustainability after that. Not that big a deal tho.

Quote:

The other approach is to go with engineer's philosophy: We invest the same amount of resources to develop meteor-busting technology. This increases the probability p that those 10 billion humans survive---that instead of one Big Comet, they get hit by a billion shooting stars, each of which allows them to make a wish.

How do we decide between the two approaches? My approach is to allocate each extra dollar according to the statistically expected number of human lives that this dollar will save, given the probability p I just talked about. Because saving Earth protects Vaslty more human lives than colonizing Mars, p has to be very small until engineers approach loses out to yours. Therefore I would invest almost all of humanity's dollars into engineer's approach.

And that's what my line of argument is about.

Okay, great. So you spent all that money on the comet device, and then a mega-volcano erupts. Or a bad nuclear war breaks out. Or a super-virus is released. Or global warming gets out of control, big time.

The engineering solution - no engineering solution - can come up with an answer for all predicted problems. But a physically removed colony CAN ensure that the species survives disaster. So it's very difficult for me to understand how we could prioritize a partial or bad solution, and one which leads to no monetary gain in the long run, over a solution which DOES lead to these things.

Quote:

See? That's where we disagree.

And that'

...'s that, I guess. I think your argument has some pretty big holes in it.

I would say that you're wrong when you say that saving Earth protects more lives, then if we successfully begin to spread our genetic base amongst the stars. You aren't thinking about the rate of human expansion over the period of say 10-15k years.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:26 am
@Cycloptichorn,
If an accident or disaster can cause the human race to become extinct in the biosphere for which we evolved, how much smaller of an accident or disaster will it take to kill us off elsewhere?

The whole "the human race can become extinct!" is simply a case of salience bias.

Salience Bias
Quote:
Scott Aaronson's Shtetl-Optimized journal is almost always thoughtful and entertaining. Yesterday he comments most engagingly on the challenge people have of evaluating low-probability but high-impact events " in this case, whether high-energy physics experiments could cause the catastrophic destruction of the Earth, or maybe the entire Universe [1]. Aaronson mentions "salience bias", the fascinating tendency humans have to worry about dramatic things (explosions, disasters, big fierce animals, etc.), rather than to objectively evaluate the odds.
BillRM

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 12:12 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
human race to become extinct in the biosphere for which we evolved, how much smaller of an accident or disaster will it take to kill us off elsewhere?

Drewdad we was not evolved to live on a snowball earth for example where the whole surface is cover by ice sheets to a depth of a mile or more and that had happen at least once in the planet history.

There been any numbers of great die outs in this planet history and there is zero reason to think that this kind of event will not happen many more times in the future. The possibility in fact of some such event killing human kind off on this planet stand at 100 percent given a long enough time frame.

As far as there being more risk anywhere else in the solar system of some event killing off a colony true however so what?

If we had say a dozen colonies off earth each one with a far greater likelihood then the home planet of having it population wipe out, the colonies would still be an insurance policy for the human race if the home planet become unlivable for any reason.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 12:32 pm
@DrewDad,
DD,

Of course, spreading our genetic base out as far as possible is the key to avoiding these problems. You don't stop with the moon, or Mars, or the Lagrange points, you do all of them, then the Jupiter Trojan asteroids, then other solar systems.

You are incorrect about the 'salience bias' issue, as well, because these actions (spreading out humanity's base) have very real and tangible benefits that are not reliant on a disaster event to be realized; they simply protect from the disaster event simultaneously while accomplishing other objectives.

I would add that preparing for worst-case scenarios is what defines who survives those scenarios. Those who sit around saying 'those are really long odds, let's just ignore these problems' end up dead. Part of the reason humans worry about the long-odds problems is that those who are alive today are descendants of people who did that - the others didn't have descendants.

Cycloptichorn