OpenOffice - Can I import files but also keep them on MS Works and Wordpad?

merstar

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 04:52 pm
If I download OpenOffice, and my files are already on MS Works and Wordpad, if I transfer them to OpenOffice, will they be deleted from WordPad and MS Works? I'd like to keep them where they are, plus add them to OpenOffice. I'm especially worried about transferring my manuscript, which is already on MS Works.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,029 • Replies: 2
No top replies

rhymer

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 03:29 pm
@merstar,
You need to consider the synchronisation between copies of files for use with different programs.
As long as you bear that in mind, one easy option would be to save an existing wordpad file with a format which OpenOffice can read (you could keep the same filename; ie. the bit before the dot).
The same principle could be followed for MS Works files (typically choose filename.txt or filename.rtf).

This approach allows you you to easily transfer files between software, but you need to remember that each software will have different capabilities, so you may lose some formatting information.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 03:41 pm
@merstar,
I use OpenOffice daily. And the answer to your question is "Yes". OpenOffice reads and writes Microsoft format files just fine.

But, let me clarify, the term "deleted from WordPad and MS Works" isn't correct.

A file is a file on its own (it isn't 'inside' one program or another. A file has a format, but using the file in one program doesn't prevent it from being used in another, and a file will not be deleted unless you specifically request it be deleted. Of course, if they are important files, you should have them backed up anyway... but once you do this (i.e. make copies of the files that you move somewhere else) then there is absolutely no risk to using any new Word Processor.

Now the details.

Microsoft writes files that are called something like file1.doc. These files are in Microsoft format.

OpenOffice can read files Microsoft format just fine (I haven't had a problem with this in years). OpenOffice can also write files in Microsoft format. I do this professionally... I write files in OpenOffice and save them in Microsoft format for my Windows-addicted friends. I have never had a problem (and people don't even know I don't use Microsoft).

OpenOffice has a different format as well called ODT. (Actually this is an open document format that was agreed upon by everyone in the world except Microsoft, but Microsoft is big enough to thumb its nose at the rest of thw World).

Microsoft programs don't read this other format (out of sheer stubbornness)-- so if you want to share files with the non-computer saavy, you will want to save your files in DOC format. This is not a problem.

It is pretty easy to make OpenOffice read and write DOC files by default.

So short answer, back up your files, then try OpenOffice. There is no risk and many of us really like it.

0 Replies