water

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:24 pm
Hi guys, have you seen the newest movie Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Transformers? As a crazy fan of transformers, I really like it very much. The visual effects story lines and music is so amazing. Today I want to record the background music of the film from my DVDs and save them as Wav or Mp3 files. I don’t now how to do it. Who can help me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,608 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:28 pm
@water,
Just in case you aren't astroturfing:

1) Buy the sound track

2) Rip it to MP3
boomerang

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 10:14 pm
What is astroturfing?
JTT

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 10:15 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Is there a difference, Robert, legally speaking, between taking the sound from a movie DVD as opposed to a sound track DVD/CD?
JTT

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 10:16 pm
@boomerang,
Laying artificial sod over A2K.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 10:18 pm
@boomerang,
Wikipedia Editors wrote:
Astroturfing is a word in English describing formal political, advertising, or public relations campaigns seeking to create the impression of being spontaneous "grassroots" behavior, hence the reference to the artificial grass, AstroTurf.

We get a steady trickle of it here. Some people who sign up and start talking about this movie or that movie, Safeway, TV shows (especially Court TV) etc are paid to do so. And because it attempts to disguise itself as spontaneous user behavior it's a kind of spam that is sometimes hard to identify.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 10:22 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Is there a difference, Robert, legally speaking, between taking the sound from a movie DVD as opposed to a sound track DVD/CD?

They could be considered different works. The studios certainly want you buying both separately instead of ripping the audio from the DVD and because the DMCA is so overreaching it could be construed as illegal to post instructions on how to do so.

Of course, if you just ask how to rip audio from a DVD the answer is perfectly legal. But forums (big ones at least) have to be careful with answers referring to specific copyrighted works.
boomerang

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 10:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Oh. Interesting. Thank you.

I just read an editorial the other day about faux grassroots campaigns that were actually started by lobbists, etc. I'm happy to know the terminology now!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 10:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I guess that my question didn't relate to your legal position, which I can appreciate, but the actual legal position, ie. if one buys the movie DVD, can't you not download it to your own computer, for your own use?
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 10:48 pm
@JTT,
My understanding is that it depends on the location. The DVDs almost always come with DRM, and in some countries it's illegal to teach people to circumvent the DRM.

Without circumventing the DRM you can't easily rip the audio (you can, of course, record an audio feed without doing so but that is enough of a pain that you are better off buying it).
JTT

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 11:01 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
and in some countries it's illegal to teach people to circumvent the DRM.

I know what the DRM does but could you tell me what it stands for, Robert? Is it illegal to actually circumvent same if one knows how to do it and again, it's all for personal use?
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 11:24 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
I know what the DRM does but could you tell me what it stands for, Robert?

Digital Rights Management

Quote:
Is it illegal to actually circumvent same if one knows how to do it and again, it's all for personal use?

Depends on what laws you are talking about. In some cases, yes, it's illegal.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 09:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
And now that I've had to pull his other spam it's confirmed, it was astroturfing.
0 Replies