Neighbor cut down their HUGE oak n put it in my yard, told me I was responsible to remove it???

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 05:55 pm
IN FL.Neighbor has BIG 200yo Oak against fence on her prop (tho some roots surely run on my prop.) Either lightening or rot damaged its base and it listed into the powerlines taking then out. Power co came and trimmed ALOT leaving it ALL in my drive. They did come back and remove some of the lighters brush, the tree still listed dangerously for couple weeks. Then neighbor had the WHOLE tree cut down (asked if she could let tree people in my gate and I did not talk 2her but left gate unlocked) and its all now IN MY YARD in HUGE trunk sections 10ft plus with LOTS of big limbs. This is in my driveway area but I can get thru and also in a place where I graze my mini horses. Would cost at least 1000 to remove. Called her and she said she went above and beyond and that she would not have it removed that I could "sell it for firewood". Who is responisble for this, at no time, short of leaving the gate open so they could get to where it had listed this way, did I give my permission for anything?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 7,815 • Replies: 11
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 07:25 pm
Call the tree company and ask WHY the logs, etc. are in YOUR yard. Bet the other lady told them to drop the limbs into the closest "fall" area.

Hey - I hear people on Craigslist will pick up anything. was the tree dead? If so, advertise it as seasoned firewood.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 07:54 pm
Take pictures.
I agree with Sully about talking to the tree company first, but it's your neighbor's responsibility to have it removed. You could actually take her and/or the tree company to small claims court over any perceived damages.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 08:55 pm
You should take 3000 pound of rotting garbage and out it in THEIR yard. Tell them they are responsible to remove it.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 09:07 pm
@NickFun,
NickFun wrote:

You should take 3000 pound of rotting garbage and out it in THEIR yard. Tell them they are responsible to remove it.
probably not a good idea, probably illegal,
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 09:24 pm
You might give these people a call
http://www.treeandneighborlaw.com/main/

From what I see from Google your neighbor is 100% responsible for the removal of the tree. If I were you I would make sure of the law, and then go back to her with the law and inform her that you will file a small claims suit if she does not take care of her tree disposal with-in 14 days. You should have immediately gone to complain to the power company for littering your property, but since you did not your neighbor probably figures that she can roll over you.
farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 04:18 am
@hawkeye10,
Do you share a drive? Theres gotta be more to this than were hearing. The power company should NOT have dumped the trimmings on your yard because they usually contract out this kind of work to companies like Asplundh who know better.

SOunds like she then hired a private contractor to finish the tree and they dumped the carcass on your yard. Was there NO CONTACT at All during this? Did you just sit and look our your window at the activities going on? You do have some responsibility to intervene at times when the trimmer would be informed that this dead tree is NOT WELCOME.

Just sitting back and letting **** like this happen does not really help your case. The neighbor could claim that you told her to dump the tree there and now youre just being a bad neighbor by changing your mind.

DAMN, Somebody drops a tree onto my property , Id have the chain saw and log splitter there like ants at a picnic. I use 4 cords of fire wood each winter. I know that firewood cutters would take this tree and may even PAY YOU SOMETHING for it. DFirewood goes for about 150$ a cord up here, I dont know what Floridians pay for wood.

Course Florida is termite center.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 07:08 am
This isn't a problem, it's an opportunity. Huge logs of 200 year old oak = win!
JTT

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 09:45 pm
@DrewDad,
I have to agree with DD. Call someone who has a portable mill. Call a millwork shop. I suspect you could see some cash outta this.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 02:04 pm
Or you could ask a lawyer.

Try asking here...

http://www.justanswer.com/

Those are lawyers that provide general answers to questions.
You pay as little as $18 for an answer, but only if you like the answer.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 08:30 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

This isn't a problem, it's an opportunity. Huge logs of 200 year old oak = win!

This was my idea as well.

People pay HUGE amounts of money to sculpt, make furniture, or just use for decoration, pieces of wood like that.

if cut well, you may have a fortune on your hands.
Depends on how well the wood looks though.
And honestly? my first thought was how close you were to ME ! Laughing

craigslist in your area could very well be a great escape from that wood.
You could use google and see if you can price it yourself, then sell it for a ballpark amount..
you could use the craigslist FREE section and just let anyone come and take it
You could list it for sale as firewood..

but im concerned with this behavior from the neighbor.
something has not been said.
It isnt normal for someone to just........DUMP a 200 year old tree on a neighbors yard.
Has this issue been going on for a long time? Maybe she thinks your property is shared for some reason ( tax area lines?) and feels you should take some of the bill since it might be on your property too?

if it were me, i would be knocking on her door and wanting to know why.
0 Replies

bergie81

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 08:27 pm
@PiggyWhispers,
I was wondering how this tree situation worked out for you because something similar has happened to us. We had a bad storm and the power company sent Asplundh to come out to take down the reminder of a oak tree that they felt was dangerous near the powerlines. The oak tree is on my neighbors property (who is a slumlord). They did not remove and before they left I questioned them and they said that they would not clean it up and it was the owners responsibility. I called them and they refuse to clean it up. We then called power company back but they sent a message to a liaison btwn power co and Asplundh who won't return call until Monday. Thanks for any info about how you resolved this.
0 Replies