EIN--Any info would be appreciated

Roberta

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:27 am
I've been a freelance editor/proofreader for almost 20 years.

I've been informed by the company I do most of my work for that all former employees who are now freelancers must use EINs rather than social security numbers when submitting invoices. (I'm a former employee.)

I went to the online site where EINs are given out. The information suggests that I don't apply, but I've got to get the number anyway.

I'm not in good stead with the IRS.

What does this all mean?

Anyone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,750 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:10 am
@Roberta,
I got an EIN when I was working as a consultant. It was easy to get and can be used in place of your SSN for any employment/tax issues. I got the EIN because I wanted to keep my SSN to myself (I was working with a couple of clients and some subcontractors and figured this would be a little more secure).

It doesn't hurt to get one. I am pretty sure the IRS won't give you any problems (I think they give them out to pretty much anyone with a valid SSN).

I suspect the fact it "suggests you don't apply" is the IRS's way of saving itself some work. If a client wants an EIN... you should get one.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:35 am
@Roberta,
I got an EIN last year and it was a very easy process that didn't involve my tax history as far as I am aware.

Just go here and start the application:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=102767,00.html

You'll probably want the sole proprietor option all the way through and at the end of it you should have your EIN.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 02:46 pm
Thanks, you guys. I appreciate the info and advice. And you've eased my mind a bit. I looked online. The site is open until 12:30 in the afternoon. This means I'm gonna have to set my alarm clock and get up to apply.

OH, the horror. Shocked
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 03:23 pm
Are you getting a 1099 from this company for the work you have done for them?

This EIN number will be used by the IRS to track your freelance business activity. With so many people working out of the house, they want their piece of the action.

Roberta

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 04:54 pm
@sullyfish6,
sullyfish6 wrote:

Are you getting a 1099 from this company for the work you have done for them?

This EIN number will be used by the IRS to track your freelance business activity. With so many people working out of the house, they want their piece of the action.

I've gotten a 1099 every year for the past 20 years.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:36 pm
I have been intermittently self employed for many years and have never needed an EIN. If you have no employees you usually don't need one.
roger

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:19 pm
@NickFun,
True. I used to send out 1099s based on either. But if the company you are contracting with demands an EIN, that's probably what you will be getting. That was my preference because neither DOL nor IRS could attempt to consider the contractor an employee subject to withholding and employment taxes.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 05:56 pm
No choice.

No EIN, no work.

Had no idea what they were until I got the message that I had to get one.

Doesn't seem like a big deal. But this is one of the kinds of things that make a usually intelligent person (moi) stoopid. My eyes glaze over. Something happens to the synapses in my head. The same applies to computer stuff.

I'll force myself to focus and fill out the application.
roger

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 08:42 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

No choice.

No EIN, no work.

You got it.

For a brief time, I had to do books for a sole proprietor like yourself, and like yourself, he had no employees. Never having convinced the IRS of this simple fact, he had to file 941 quarterly reports every three months. If they expect this of you, don't miss the due date.
Roberta

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 03:36 am
@roger,
Roger, You're making me noivous all over again. As far as I know I don't have to file a 941, which is just as well. Have no idea what it is.

It's my understanding that the edict has come from the company and applies only to former employees. Why this is happening is a mystery.

Feh and pooh.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 05:29 am
Got the number.

Thanks, again, you guys.
0 Replies