gollum

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 04:31 pm
I read:

"The IRS, which furloughed more than 90 percent of its workers, has warned them not to even think of doing government work while they’re off.

The agency has computer software that can track when an employee logs into the IRS system, according to former IRS official Marvin Friedlander. The agency, he said, tells staffers “If we find out you worked at home, you’re going to get fired.”"

Why does the IRS object if an employee chooses to work voluntarily?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,411 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 05:17 pm
@gollum,
For the same reasons corporations don't like employees accumulating a lot of unpaid hours.

It becomes a liability in employment disputes.
It also makes it impossible to calculate accurate numbers for productivity and budgets.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 05:19 pm
BTW, it isn't just the IRS, just about every agency gave out similar rules to their workers.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 05:45 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you.

Would that be only in the government sector? Would the private sector love some free work?
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 05:51 pm
@gollum,
No. The title company I worked for discouraged it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 06:08 pm
@gollum,
I bet they don't want your neighbor with a green eyeshade looking into your accounts when they are not working.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 06:29 pm
I see now I could have been fired if caught when UCLA was shut down (that was a Reagan choice) - I went in to change dialysis stuff in the lab. Dead quiet campus at least there, but we were on the outer edge.

Don't know how other labs reacted.

Don't get me started - you work up a hypothesis, you work up ways to test it, you get funded, maybe by nih, you get a whole lab going, and you do test it. Lots of effort and money there. A shutdown? Probably some data could be kicked out, but some stuff going on is important.

In my case, that was only me, it was a routine task for that particular study and I went in. I wasn't worried, or only a little.

On the students re the university, I was mixed. I agreed with most of the student stuff but I despise shutting down universities, by any side ever. Even then I felt that way, so I was anti that goal of the students and anti that goal of Reagan.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 09:44 pm
@gollum,
It's against the law

http://www.gao.gov/legal/lawresources/antideficiencybackground.html

background
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/09/the-odd-story-of-the-law-that-dictates-how-government-shutdowns-work/280047/
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Government Shut Down
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 08:40:23