Drug Test Row Results In Rio Ferdinand been dropped from Eng

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 09:54 am
Quote:
Star defender Rio Ferdinand has been left out of the England squad for the Euro 2004 qualifier in Turkey because of the drugs test controversy.

The Manchester United centre-half was selected by representatives of UK Sport to take a random drugs test on 23 September at the club's Carrington training ground, but left before the test could be taken.

He has claimed he forgot to go for the test because he was in the process of moving house, but now the Football Association has opted to leave him out of the England squad until the issue is properly resolved.

The maximum ban for failing to take a drugs test is two years.

Meanwhile, Michael Owen is still rated 50-50 to play in the match as he bids to overcome a shin injury.

Coach Sven Goran Eriksson said: "I have spoken with the doctor and the masseurs and they tell me they have a plan. They say they will do everything possible to get Michael fit.

"It's too early to say at the moment though. The odds are still 50-50. Michael wants to play and is feeling positive."

Eriksson has called up Aston Villa's Darius Vassell into the squad to cover if Owen is forced to withdraw.

The 23-man England squad to face Turkey in this Saturday's Euro 2004 qualifier is:

James (West Ham), Robinson (Leeds), Walker (Leicester); P Neville (Man Utd), G Neville (Man Utd), A Cole (Arsenal), Bridge (Chelsea), Mills (Leeds), Campbell (Arsenal), Terry (Chelsea), Upson (B'ham City); Beckham (Real Madrid), Lampard (Chelsea), J Cole (Chelsea), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Butt (Man Utd), Dyer (Newcastle), Gerrard (Liverpool), Scholes (Man Utd); Owen (Liverpool), Heskey (Liverpool), Beattie (Southampton), Rooney (Everton), Vassell (Aston Villa).

So Man Utd not happy....

Quote:
Manchester United do not agree with the FA's decision to omit Rio Ferdinand from the England squad, arguing the action goes against precedent.

United released their own statement soon after the Football Association had announced that Ferdinand was not being included in Sven Goran Eriksson's squad due to a drugs test controversy.

The statement read: "Manchester United notes the statement made on Tuesday by the Football Association regarding Rio Ferdinand.

"The club would like to point out that Manchester United was first approached on the matter by the FA last weekend when club officials were invited to attend a meeting on the Sunday afternoon to discuss the situation.

"At no point since then has Manchester United agreed with the approach the FA has taken to the matter, nor has it supported the FA's decision regarding Rio's non-selection for the England squad.

"It was not until Monday 6 October that documentation was received by the club regarding the notification of Rio's need to attend a personal interview with the FA on Monday 13 October. As of Tuesday, Rio has still not been charged with an offence, and precedent suggests that he should continue to be available to represent England until at least a disciplinary finding has been made against him by the FA.

"Manchester United believes the FA's actions have seriously compromised the player's confidentiality. The publicity generated by the FA's actions has put unfair pressure on Rio in what should have a remained a strictly confidential matter."

David Gill, Manchester United's chief executive, added: "The club is deeply troubled by the FA's handling of the situation and believes it is at variance with the FA's approach to all other drugs-related cases.

"We think the FA's decision not to select Rio for England is wrong for the player and wrong for the country. As a consequence, we will be vigorously pursuing our concerns about the matter in due course."

Sven's not happy...

Quote:
Sven Goran Eriksson has described Rio Ferdinand's exclusion from England's Euro 2004 qualifier in Turkey as "a pity".

The Football Association insisted it would be "inappropriate" to select Rio Ferdinand for the match in Istanbul because of the player's failure to take a drugs test last month.

Ferdinand missed the test, which was scheduled to take place after training at Manchester United's Carrington base on Tuesday 23 September, claiming later that he had forgotten because he was moving house.

And the England coach has revealed that he had to abide by the FA's decision.

He told a press conference: "It's a pity for England as a team - but it's a decision that's been taken and I have to accept it and respect it.

"I'm very sorry that we can't do it (play Ferdinand). I'm a football manager and of course I always want the best team. But on this occasion with Rio, it's not possible.

"I've been told and I have to accept that. Of course, it's not the best timing - I agree 100% but we have to handle it and from 4pm try to be focused on football and Turkey.

"It's very important to know that my role is to be a coach and when things like this happen, there are other people who must make decisions what to do - and I have to accept that.

"I can't put myself up against other people and opinions in this country.

"I've spoken to some of the players and will speak to all of them at 4pm.

"We have certain responsibilities in football to follow the rules and I should very much like to have Rio in Turkey because we need him - but that's a football opinion.

"I have to accept the orders, in this case from (FA chief executive) Mark Palios - and he's made that decision by himself I guess."

The major talking point before the Ferdinand incident had been whether Michael Owen would be fit after the Liverpool striker injured his leg during Saturday's defeat by Arsenal.

Owen remains "50-50" for the clash in Istanbul as Eriksson revealed: "We're not sure. The doctors and the masseuses are looking at it now.

"He is very positive and wants to play, which is good. But I have called in Darius Vassell, who will arrive this evening and train on Wednesday just in case.

"We have a plan and want to do anything for him [Owen] to make him fit."

Eriksson has other options should Owen not prove his fitness. He could choose to include Villa striker Vassell alongside Everton teenager Wayne Rooney or James Beattie, while Emile Heskey has performed well for England in recent matches.

He continued: "I will see. I have not decided who will play up front. I will see what happens during practice."

Eriksson, though, admits the fiery Rooney could feature prominently in the crunch match.

"Since he has been picked for the senior team, he has always played an important role," said the England manager.

"He is an excellent, huge talent and already a very good player.

"Every time he has played for England, he has had the right temperament, not too much, not too little. I have had no reason to complain about that."

With Ferdinand unavailable, a great deal of responsibility is likely to fall on Sol Campbell.

The Arsenal defender has endured a difficult time following the death of his father and also must face an FA disciplinary hearing on Wednesday following his challenge on Eric Djemba-Djemba during the season-opening Community Shield in Cardiff.

However, Eriksson believes he will be more than able to cope with the added pressures.

Eriksson said: "I spoke to him and he is ready. He has had a difficult time professionally and privately, but he will be okay. I am sure about that."

The Swede also believes skipper David Beckham is set for another starring role this weekend.

"He is excellent, fantastic. I could not have a better one [captain]," reflected Eriksson.

"We have come together for two matches since he went to Madrid and he has been absolutely the same.

"He can play at Real or in Manchester and still be the captain in the same way for England."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,175 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:01 am
Interesting. Was the drugs test for performance enhancers, do you know?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:11 am
The "I forgot" pretext is no good. As in school, a no-show for a test means you failed it.

During the 1999 Panamerican Games, 4 Mexican baseball players refused to take the test on the grounds that it didn't matter, since they had lost the bronze medal game. They were banned by the IOC.

Rio Ferdinand, a world famous player, will be luckier. He'll only miss the Euro qualifier.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:22 am
fbaezer wrote:
The "I forgot" pretext is no good.

True. Strange that ManU was sticking up for him. They should be happy that he can rest up. Don't they give him tests?

The Mexican baseballers are banned from ever playing in the Olympics?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:35 am
Piffka wrote:
The Mexican baseballers are banned from ever playing in the Olympics?

They got a 2 year ban, and since the Mexican team was eliminated, perhaps that's why they didn't care.

For 2003, the Mexican Baseball Federation pre-screened all the team right before the PanAm Games. They won the bronze... with a 13 player roster.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:41 am
Sorry I didn't notice... and I like baseball. Only 13 players and that included all their pitchers??? There must be a story behind that.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:06 am
3 starters, 1 reliever.

Luckily, all the pitchers did great (in fact, we lost 2-3 the semifinal to the US in extrainnings), and having no injuries helped.

The 13 player roster tells you, though, a lot about substance usage among professionals (we're talking about AAA players).

-------

As for ManU backing Rio Ferdinand. Well, it's a corporation protecting the value of it's assets.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:27 am
No injuries would help (thinking of last night's disaster for Boston when the centerfielder was bashed in the head by the 2nd baseman).

The roster was small because some of the players had problems with the test? I didn't realize that's what you were implying. I guess I thought they'd dropped out, or there weren't so many interested. Aren't there usually 25 or so on a roster? HALF of 'em had to leave the Mexican team because of drugs? <registering much greater surprise>
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:37 am
That's right Piffka, 25 players were registered but, fearing a fiasco similar to 1999's, the Mexican Olympic Commitee pressed the Baseball Federation to pre-screen them for IOC illegal substances, and only 13 made the trip.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:09 pm
It boggles my mind even though I'm not a champion of the war on drugs. I think a lot of it is hooey.
0 Replies