Rain Soft Gold Series won't refill brine tank

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:00 am
Water softener works if I add a gallon or two after the regen cycle and before the next regen cycle (on demand system). Can I clean something? UHL OE CONV KIT COND BR X GOLD SER#465746 08/06/02, flow meter 2B, DLFC 1.5, Injector 00, Blue sticker on GPM
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,892 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Joethewaterguy

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 11:03 pm
@GrampyJoe,
If I read this right, you now have the composite gold series that replaced the old brass series. If this is correct, there shoult be very little water in the brine tank until the next regeneration. It sounds like you had a mechanical timer "AM" series and that type always put water in the brine tank on the last part of the cycle, so that you are used to seeing water in the brine tank. The gold series puts the water in on the first part of the cycle. Have you tried pressing regen and seeing if that happens? It should put water in the brine tank on step 1 , (dispaly reads 1 on the left and minutes to fill on the right) at 1 quart per minute.
0 Replies

GrampyJoe

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 01:52 pm
Thanks for the info and you are correct. We had the "clock motor" series and paid for the new "gold" heads to be installed. I watched the system once and I thought the system wasn't refilling. I add two gallons of water to the tank and I get soft water. (I also get salt at the tap, but I get soft water). I will go hit "regen" and let you know what happens.
0 Replies

GrampyJoe

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 09:15 pm
I went out to hit "regen" and the on demand had just clicked on....1 on the left and 4 on the right. I marked a line where the water is to see if the height increased(water coming in). Nothing. The tank water did not move at all (had a flashlight...no movement). Cycle 2 = 1hr 20min and I'm going to bed. Will deal tomorrow....i added 2 gal to get soft...
Joethewaterguy

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 09:46 pm
@GrampyJoe,
it does only put 1/4 gpm into the brine tank on step 1. reset the computer,. at 4 on the first stage it's not enough... press and hold the gold raindrop on the panel in the top right hand corner, and then press and release the program / enter button until you see the little "r". stop pressing the buttons, clrd will show, then press progran one more time and the time should come up.
0 Replies

GrampyJoe

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 06:02 am
That little raindrop hasn't been pressed in a while! Took me 5 tries to make your instructions work. OK Done....now what happens? Am I all fixed or do I need to watch the operations once more?
Joethewaterguy

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 09:19 am
@GrampyJoe,
it should be reset. you can hit regen and watch to see what happens
0 Replies

GrampyJoe

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 08:36 pm
Ok, tonight I was able to watch, so I hit Regen...left side 1, right side 13, the water in the tank did not move...when the 13 minutes were over, the tank/powerhead switched to 2 on the left and 1:20 on the right, and the water still didn't move...what's broke? What do I need to hit it with a hammer to get it's attention? Without that refill from the last reset, I showered today in "hard water" which means the reset didn't do the trick...; ie what now sports fans? I went ahead and added 2 gallons of water to the tank so I can have "soft " water while You and I figure this out........thoughts?...if it's not a "software" problem, could it be a valve/cam/solenoid/relay/screw/filter?
Thanks for attempting...we will make it work...its mechanical right?
Joethewaterguy

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 06:41 am
@GrampyJoe,
with 1 on the right and 13 on the left ,it should have put water in the brine tank for 13 minutes, the 2nd part, 2 120 is when it just sits and makes brine. 3,4,5 are cleaning part of the regen cycle. Remove the black line attached at the brine tank and see if water comes out during the first part of the cycle. There could be a screen clogged .
GrampyJoe

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 10:10 am
@Joethewaterguy,
Ok, we know we have no water coming in....4 days ago i totally emptied the brine tank and cleaned it. (removed the fill valve). I disconnected it at the tank and not the head. I blew in the valve and there was no restrictions, sucked on the valve, and there was blockage. Tilted the valve and it was free both ways. Conclusion=fill - no restriction////draw -will draw only til the "flapper/ball" drops so as not to bring air in the line. I will remove the hex nut at the resin head and check the filter. Get back to you. Anything else while I am playing around at the head?
Joethewaterguy

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 01:13 pm
@GrampyJoe,
when you press regen, does it go through about 30 seconds of gyrations before it stops at 1 - 13? if it doesn't..... and then goes through about 30 seconds of gyration when going to 2--120 then one of the switches are bad. hold the" secret:" raindrop on the top right hand corner of the panel,while pressing the regen button to advance through the cycle. press and release both to move to the next step. Joe
whyworry78

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 03:41 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
what do the numbers mean when you press the drop of water?
0 Replies