Anyone here make great hamburgers from scratch?

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 10:19 am
@ossobuco,
That was a good article. I was coming by to see if it had already been linked in.

Two keys in there (to my way of thinking about burgers): don't overhandle the meat, and don't use lean meat. 70 - 75% seems to be optimal.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 10:47 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
70 - 75% seems to be optimal.
Yeah I have my butcher mix 70% and 80% ground sirloin. I like it.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 11:13 am
@dyslexia,
We go to the same butcher, smiles. I get the twenty percent when I go there, and 15% if I succumb to the regular grocery store, and that's usually only for meatloaf. Next time I'll try your mix from the butcher, Dys.

Re the mayo jar mold thing, I like the patties with more of a diameter and moderately thicker.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 11:22 am
@ossobuco,
Since I'm a burger stuffer, I like to use patties that are just under 1/2" thick and a little bigger in circumference that a standard patty. One patty - cheeses - second patty - gently press the edges in - grill til the outside's done and the inside will be hot but still pinkish and the cheese is just melted.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 11:25 am
@ehBeth,
Mmmmmmmmm!
The article was good about using various cheeses too.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 09:09 pm
We did the burgers tonight and it was a hit with our friends. My buddy had tried doing them in the past with onions etc and said they actually have a lot more flavor with just salt.

I made 'em a bit too salty though, and a bit too thick. But they were pretty good!

We may try doing them again soon, and I might try the oven route (searing in pan, letting it cook through in oven).

Thanks to all of you for your input and suggestions!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 09:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
: )
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 09:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
We liked them so much we got together and did them again with hot dogs tonight!

The hot dogs were damn good on french bread, much better than a traditional bun.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 06:34 am
I finally made a decent burger last night. It wasn't just decent, it was REALLY GOOD. Sozlet (who loves burgers) declared it the best she's ever had. She's given to hyperbole but I was still happy.

I started out with ground buffalo -- cheaper than regular ground beef at Whole Foods. Not sure of the fat content.

I read a bunch of recipes for buffalo burgers and also recalled advice from this thread. Ended up with a mishmash of tips that seemed to work pretty well (not from any one recipe).

- Sauteed finely chopped red onions in butter.
- Mixed the sauteed onions and butter, about a quarter-cup of bread crumbs, and some kosher salt (not much) into 1 pound of ground buffalo. (Mixed very gently/ lightly.)
- Put about 2 tbs olive oil in the pan I'd used to saute the onions.
- Gently shaped mixture into three patties, each about 1 inch thick. Pressed my thumb into the top to make an indentation.
- Put a little kosher salt on the surface.
- Fried patties for about 5 minutes per side* in the olive oil, on medium-high heat. Took spoonfuls of the olive oil/ butter/ buffalo fat mix from the pan and ladled it over the burgers as they cooked.

They were moist, had a nice crust, and were super-flavorful. Served with sliced fresh tomatoes from local farmer's market and red onions. (Plus ketchup etc.)

*Did 5 minutes each, but they were still a bit too pink inside, did another ~3 minutes per side on top of that.
0 Replies