Anyone here make great hamburgers from scratch?

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 03:50 pm
@JPB,
I'd seen the thumb thing in soz's link, but hadn't realized that this was what it was for, thanks!

I don't have a grill pan, but when I make them I'm certainly going to try one or two in the GF grill.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 03:51 pm
I think I have enough info for a first try so thanks to all who helped with their tips!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 03:55 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You're welcome. Report back!

For any who don't know about it, great website, Cooking for Engineers
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:26 pm
I'm sorry. I didn't explain that very well.

The fat holds the meat together, like rosborne said. When you over handle the meat you remove some of the fat, you're melting the fat -- that's why your hands feel greasy. When you stick it in the fridge for a bit before cooking you give the fat time to harden back up which holds the burger together better.

If you feel like you really need to work the meat into a patty shape, put a little oil on your hands first but still try to refrigerate for a bit before cooking.

I like my burgers on rye bread so I guess it's really a patty melt. I cook it like a grilled cheese sandwich.

Most groceries sell ciabatta rolls which make for good buns if you like your bread to have more umph than a typical burger bun.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:34 pm
@boomerang,
I like ciabattas (or ciambattas), but they're a little too sturdy for ms. picky. Still looking.

Thanks re the refrigeration, that makes sense.
farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 05:03 pm
@ossobuco,
ciabattas are a cheap bread with a lot of holes. A better habg roll is a nice KAISER.

1 pound of hamburger Meat should be 70to 80% lean, no leaner, you need the fat. I always fry up 2 medium or one big chopped onions in lard and fry them till just clear. Then shave 4 garlic cloves and put it in the onions and fry for another half minute or less. Add a tsp of fresh ground pepper and a tsp of Worcestershire into the meat and mix in the onions. MAke only 4 patties (each is a quarter pounder before cooking. Freeze for a half hour and then grill. The grill will cement the edges so it isnt a crumbly mess. You can fry them but I prefer a grille taste.

Flip just once and, if you need cheese atop, add two slices of cheddar on top when you flip and replace the grille lid.

Serve with a slice of onion and topping of choice. I like a Pauli Girl NA for a beverage accompaniment.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 05:04 pm
@farmerman,
You simply must be kidding. Real ciambattas are wonderful. Maybe where you are the packaged stuff is dreck. Here it's the Kaisers that are fluffbunnies.

Oh, on the burgers, I like your onion thing, do similar. But.. I don't mix it with the beef. Each to his or her own.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 06:44 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I think I have enough info for a first try so thanks to all who helped with their tips!

But, Robert, I'm late to this thread & have strong feelings about this! Wink

So I'm gonna tell you how I do it, anyway. Been making them this way for years, loosely based on how I saw my mother make them, for years & years ...

Into a large bowl, add the following:

- a kilo of good ground beef (not too fatty, but some of fat is good for flavour). You obviously won't eat all this in one sitting. I always make enough for freezing, for later. Handy.
- add one largish finely chopped brown onion & one or two finely chopped garlic cloves (depending on how much you like garlic).
- some dried herbs - a teaspoon, roughly? (or fresh finely chopped parsley& a few finely sliced spring onions greens are nice) & perhaps a just a little pinch of chili flakes, if you like.
- add one egg (possibly 2 if small, or the if the mixture doesn't "hold together" as you mix it)
- Have some dried bread crumbs (or rolled oats, if you like) on hand.
- Roll up your sleeves & mix the lot together by hand, making sure that all the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Add the bread crumbs/rolled oats, depending on the consistency of the mixture. If it's a bit "runny", you add more, if pretty firm, less. (If you accidentally add too much & the mixture is too dry (for forming patties, you can always add another egg. If it's then too "wet", then more bread crumbs ...till you get it right)
-Add & mix in salt & freshly ground black pepper to your taste.
- have a plate or board & some GladWrap ready & form the patties. Not TOO big - enough to fit comfortably in the palm of your had. Flatten the patties a bit to ensure even, not too slow cooking.
- Freeze the left-over patties in meal-sized lots, for later.

Easy, just a bit messy! Wink
ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 06:53 pm
@msolga,
So, osso and the dys are for good beef by itself (essentially, with whatever toppings) and many are for mama's burgers including much. I admit that I'd be apt to like both for diff reasons.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 06:57 pm
@msolga,
...oh & I forgot to add ... fry them gently & slowly in a largish non-stick fry pan. Turning over carefully when the first side is browned & they're "holding together" nicely.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 07:20 pm
@msolga,
I was hoping to avoid the egg and, for lack of a better word, "meatloaf" kind of burger but I may just have to try both kinds because I see the allure of both.

Maybe I'll do a beef and salt one and a "meatloaf" one at the same time and see which way I like it best. Might take a week or two to get around to because I don't cook very much but I'll let you guys know how it went.
msolga

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 07:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well good luck, Roberta!

... & um ... I can absolutely assure you it's not "meat-loafish". More like the old fashioned, pre-Macca's hamburgers. Wink
ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 07:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well, if you cook the osso/dys/chai way, don't over cook it, indeed that's the point.

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 07:30 pm
@msolga,
I know it's very different from meatloaf, I think maybe roger's steak tartare comparison is better but I can't think of a good way to classify them. Home-style vs restaurant-style? I dunno much about food and drink.
panzade

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 07:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,
one of the best burgers I ever had was served in an English muffin instead of a bun. This was at the Mousetrap in Charlottesville Virginia...oh...and the beer was served in a Ball jar
msolga

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 07:36 pm
@panzade,
Smile

I generally skip the bun altogether. But never stint on the tomato sauce! Wink
msolga

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 07:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Home-style

Yep, mine is definitely home style! Smile

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 07:38 pm
@panzade,
That might be worth a try for me, the ciabatta rolls etc aren't readily available down here but I do know where to get English muffins and bagels, and that sounds better than my bagel idea.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 07:45 pm
@msolga,
you're so cute!
msolga

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 07:57 pm
@panzade,
But, panz, I eat is as part of a meal, with vegetables! It's what used to be called a "rissole" in these parts! Wink

I know, I know this is not in the true spirit of "hamburger cuisine", but I think I must have been brought up all wrong & got my hamburger wires crossed somehow! Laughing
0 Replies