Ideally shaped city.

chai2

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 06:42 pm
Eating farfalle for dinner....how about bowtie shaped?

each bowtie could be connect to another. The lower tip of one end contected to another, so they could spiral outward indefinately. Kinda like a nautilas.
You could follow the spiral to get to the next area, or travel via free ducks spider web to shorten the distance.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 06:55 pm
@2PacksAday,
A neighbor of mine and a friend of hers lived for a long time in that bioenvironment in Arizona, name of which I forget. Biosphere? I thought they were both nuts, although she was interesting to the extent we conversed and I should take back the nuts part. I remember him as staring at me across the table at the biomed library, years earlier. I don't know what that was all about. Not flirtation. Maybe he found that the table where I sat brought peace, or engagement with ordinariness.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 07:24 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Grins to Johnboy.

I've been following the saga extraordinaire, courtesy of RJB's missives, though haven't seen the most recent stuff, and am a fan from afar of his architect partner and the real jb.

I haven't given you any updates, osso, on that 6-story, $25M project. Lehman was the lead banker, but then they folded. That delayed us a lot. Construction costs right now are great; but credit is tight.
I asked A2Kers to look under their sofa cushions. $3.97 was all I got pledged.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 07:39 pm
@realjohnboy,
Oy vey.

Well, I'm in your corner. All that before-the-commission time... sigh. Not that I'm against review, or don't know about the time it takes to set up for it, I do, I do. But...

Anyway, disheartening, but I'm still hoping it goes.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 12:14 am
@ossobuco,
Okay, dadgummit, farmerman.

Here's washington via npr link - map from 1797 -
note the triangulation from white circle or building blotch... indeed, several..

http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/wash/buildings/l'enfant.jpg

Here's Versailles -

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/courses/rschwart/hist255-s01/pleasure/versailles_1693.jpg

Here's the Rome goosefoot -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/Map_of_northern_Rome%2C_Piazza_del_Popolo%2C_by_Nolli.jpg/598px-Map_of_northern_Rome%2C_Piazza_del_Popolo%2C_by_Nolli.jpg
That doesn't chase down the obelisks, as it happens.

Eh, I've annotations, but care less than I used to re following all this.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 12:22 am
Aha, I checked, and I've been talking about Sixtus V, seeming quite the ne'er do well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Sixtus_V
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 12:28 am
In any case, this kind of street making kills borgos, or villages, or neighborhoods. with much travail. Mussolini was famous for that.

I do see the need for through streets, so remain "mixed" on the subject.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 12:45 am
@Setanta,
This means we should all stop thinking, pipe dreams or otherwise?
Go ahead, stop, yourself.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 12:49 am
@2PacksAday,
I don't know anyone on a2k who has been to Canberra, except maybe Wilso (I seem to remember he hated it but I could be dead wrong) and it would have been quite a while ago.

Waiting to hear from australians...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 02:08 am
Most Australians would (tounge in cheek tell) you Canberra is boring!. My impression is "sterile" but you could read "clean, green and easy to travel" into that. I have visited the capital several times and found it easy to navigate once you had an idea of what general direction suburbs or features were located in relative to the city centre.
The vaugely circular layout of roads can be confusing for new travelers.
I had an idea Hingehead lived for a period in Canberra.
These links may have interesting information for some.

Design quality in the national capital
http://www.nationalcapital.gov.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=379&Itemid=278

Virtual tour of the National Capital exhibition
http://www.nationalcapital.gov.au/flash/nce_tour/index.html
)clickand hold on the pick to tour around the exhibition. release the mouse button to stop. activity sheets, Fact sheets, Links and images/movies are available on certain subjects. Good for school projects

Please Note: this is my tax dollar at work.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 04:52 am
@ossobuco,
What was this about, Osso . . . were you drunk-posting again?

Why don't you stop yourself from drunk-posting, Osso?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:16 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Pipe dreams, Buddy. The population of the earth has already reached the point that we are on the verge of running out of potable water. We have already reached the carrying capacity of agriculture to feed the world's population. The wars over water and food will break out long before you can build your dream cities.

It was about your putdown of people talking, relatively felicitously, about city planning through the ages, and most immediately, now. You're the one who came in with a dump truck.

You could check what it was about by clicking on the number anext the Re: Setanta in light green numbers, encompassed by parentheses.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:31 pm
@Setanta,
Why don't you stop yourself from constantly berating people, honey?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:53 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Pipe dreams, Buddy. The population of the earth has already reached the point that we are on the verge of running out of potable water. We have already reached the carrying capacity of agriculture to feed the world's population. The wars over water and food will break out long before you can build your dream cities.

It was about your putdown of people talking, relatively felicitously, about city planning through the ages, and most immediately, now. You're the one who came in with a dump truck.

You could check what it was about by clicking on the number anext the Re: Setanta in light green numbers, encompassed by parentheses.

It didn't bother me in the slightest, for his concerns were valid ones.

However, a certain amount of assumptions of technology advances have to be factored in when contemplating the future. If we can't get on top of the water situation we're "well and truly'd" no matter what ideas we have for housing; any discussion of long-term city planning must look past such issues, or it just isn't any fun!

Cycloptichorn
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:58 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I agree about that, but the shut down, 'don't bother to conjecture' admonition was what I was responding to. Conjecture is where it's at, and bravo to Chai for the topic. Not to suckup chai, just saying.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 07:01 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I agree about that, but the shut down, 'don't bother to conjecture' admonition was what I was responding to.

Aw, that's just his way of being nice. If you can't get past the initial objections to your idea, your idea isn't much good, I think. And I certainly have it coming, I've given plenty of other people a hard time for their ideas here on A2K.

Cycloptichorn
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 07:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Stomps a sack of ruffles.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 07:27 pm
@ossobuco,
I suppose I should say that was a figurative allusion, I'd never stomp a sack of Ruffles.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:21 pm
Re: Water
I understand that in parts of the west--correct me if I am wrong--it is illegal or frowned upon to collect rainwater when it does rain. The water should instead soak into the ground and help to replenish the aquifers.
Here in VA that notion is reversed. Harvesting rain water is good. Many folks have 55-gal barrels (interesting story, there) at the bases of our downspouts.
Any water that hits the asphalt is contaminated. It goes into our storm drains and then into our rivers and then into the somewhat sick Chesapeake Bay.
The building I am working on (called 10.5) has 3 water towers built in, collecting rain water (43" a year) over an 18,000 sq ft footprint. I have a calculation of the number of gallons around here somewhere. It's big.
In addition, we will be collecting "gray" water from showers and sinks, filtering it, and using it in toilets and for landscape maintenance. Pretty cool, huh?
I have a void in my "water knowledge." One of my employees asked about "desalinization" as a source for fresh water. I said something lame, like, where do you put all the salt extracted. Back in the oceans? Sell it to McDonald's?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:29 pm
@realjohnboy,
Your building design has been up front on the water scenario, and I'm only admiring.

On salt accumulation, I figure you can package that in some way.. I say kidding, but, who knows.
0 Replies