DOES MORALITY NOT REQUIRED IN FOREIGN POLICY ?

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 08:54 am
It is an accepted policy that a nation is to be selfish to the core in their dealings with the other nations! It is never expected that morality is to be practised any nation.Whatever is good for the nation is to be achieved by any means.Fair means if possible and definitely by unfair means if required.

I'm surprised and curious to know the reasons for such a round about turn when it comes to the question of national interest.That whatever morality,decency and restrictive standards that apply to individuals simply vanish when it comes to national level.Why is it so and if at all there are any standards what are they?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 743 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 02:01 am
All good questions, Kveeshanker. We Americans are still looking for answers from our politicians.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 04:21 am
Let me play devil's advocate.

Is selfish immoral or is inordinate selfishness immoral?
0 Replies

K VEE SHANKER

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 05:44 am
WHY MORALITY
Craven de Kere wrote:
Let me play devil's advocate.

Is selfish immoral or is inordinate selfishness immoral?

Why morality for that matter in the case of individuals.Because, selfishness often clashes with that of social/family welfare.For me morality means that we are dependant on the larger entity namely Society/World that should be unaffected by our actions selfish or otherwise.What is more puzling is that when so much is written and said about day in day out, the selfishness of the nation as a whole is,never considered as an evil at all ! To me just as an individual can not live after destrying the community he lives in, A nation can not live after destroying all the other nations in the world.Why there is just no talk about it?
0 Replies