Home Networking Problems (a.k.a. CHECK YOUR FIREWALLS!!!)

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 07:26 am
We are setting up a home network to allow myself & 2 housemates to access the internet simultaneously. This will obviously allow us to file-share between PCs.

Is there any way of protecting certain folders on my local drive to prevent access by my housemates to personal data, and allow access to the rest? I've been all through Windows Help and can't find any way of password protecting folders. Thanks!

EDIT:

Topic expanded to cover set-up problems!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,266 • Replies: 12
No top replies

MurrayS

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:18 am
Howdy:

Normally, if you right-click on the folder/file you should see a "sharing" option for the file.. Click on that and put a password on it..

In most cases, unless you specifically share a folder, it is not accessible. therefore, DO NOT share your entire c: drive.. Share ONLY the folders/files you want shared !!

Murray
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:33 am
Doh! Thanks Murray. Isn't it annoying when the answer is staring you in the face but you can't see it!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:36 am
Don't feel bad GD. That happens to me all the time ;-)
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 10:01 am
I've finally got the network in place, but it's not working properly. We have multi-user internet access, which is working fine. What we can't do is get the file-sharing to work. Gear:

Netgear 4-Port DSL Modem & Router
Desktop running Windows XP
Laptop running Windows XP

I've tried setting up the network in Windows 'Create a home or small office network' but really it's a load of crap. I followed all the instructions on the first computer, set up a workgroup name etc. Then went to the second computer and did exactly the same on that. When I go to 'My Network Places' the only icon that appears is for the computer I am using, and not the other one on the network. I've tried all combinations of restarting, having the turned on and off while setting up the other etc etc and nothing works.

Is it likely to be a problem with the router, or with crappy Windows XP? Is it maybe problems with firewalls preventing access from the other machines on the network?

Another problem is the firewall. All computers on the network have their own firewalls. The router also comes with it's own firewall. Is this likely to be secure enough to rely on to protect all computers in the network?

HELP!

Thanks to all you kind people.
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 10:36 am
Since you are using XP, you can share your drive and protect your folders from unauthorized access by setting NTFS permissions.
If your partition is FAT, then you can convert it to NTFS with no data loss by typing in a command prompt: convert c: /fs:ntfs /v

To set a home network, you need a network adapter on each computer, a common workgroup name and a unique IP address for each computer with the same network ID.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:38 am
Thanks Cyanure. I've been on one machine and set-up the common workgroup name eg. HOUSE but when I go to the other machine, it won't find the existing HOUSE workgroup, and wants to set up a totally new one. \Any ideas why?

The IP addresses are assigned automatically by the router, and I've been into the router controls and it shows that they are different eg. router = 999.999.999.0, computer1 = 999.999.999.3 and computer2 = 999.999.999.5

I can Ping the router from either machine successfully, but not between the machines at all. The list of attached devices on the router controls show the other computer named as UNKNOWN, when it has already been given a proper name eg. DAVE1

Help!
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 09:15 am
Quote:
Thanks Cyanure. I've been on one machine and set-up the common workgroup name eg. HOUSE but when I go to the other machine, it won't find the existing HOUSE workgroup, and wants to set up a totally new one. \Any ideas why?

You have to do it manually on each computer. It can't be set automatically (unless you install XP with an unattended installation where you can set the name of workgroup in the unattend.txt)
Enter manually the name of workgroup "House" then ping. If the workgroup name is wrong you can't ping the PC.
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 08:41 am
Also, make sure you either disable XP's onboard firewall or set it to allow the other system access (disable is the better of the two)..

You may also need to put the username and assign a password on each system for the other system - ie: On system 1, make a user that coincides with the computername of the other system and vice-versa..

Murray
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 04:50 am
Thanks to you both for your assistance. The problem is now resolved, and I am now the proud owner of a fully-functioning home network.

How did I do this? Easy...

CHECK THE FIREWALLS ARE TURNED OFF ON EACH COMPUTER!

Doh....
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 05:38 pm
Right. The network is now down again, and it's nothing to do with the firewalls as I've checked them.

Does anyone know why a computer on the network can be connect properly to the internet via the router, but does not show up on the network?

The computer that was working okay had some spyware/adware/virus problems, which I've fixed thanks to Timberlandko's instructions, but somewher along the line the machine has stopped talking to the network properly. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

Nagarajan

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:55 am
windows explorer & browser explorer
hello,

When i was chatting an url came into my message automatically, unintentionally i clicked that url. Later when i restarted my machine i could not see the Task manager (shows as disabled) and any windows (windows explorer, browser ) gets closed immediately when open.

When i tried to install some antivirus softwares, could not do so as the windows are get closed.

Please post a solution,

thanks

Nagarajan
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 03:17 pm
Nagarajan
Post your problem in an independent topic so people can see it

Meanwhile try the following and post the result in another new topic

Go to this site
http://www.bulletproofsoft.com/download.html

Download Spyware/Adware Remover 8.2.0.10
Once installed, open the folder BPS Spyware Remover
Double click Spyware Remover and choose Continue Trial
Click Check for Updates and update it.
Once finished reboot in safe made by clicking F8 on boot.
Open BPS Spyware Remover
Double click Spyware Remover and choose Continue Trial
Click Start Scanning
Once scan finishes, delete everything it finds.
Reboot your PC normally and see if the problem is solved.
0 Replies