Obama Kills Fly; PETA Disturbed by His Action

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:00 pm
Yep. I watched him kill the fly on a TV news show. They quoted PETA as criticising the president's action. So, I am wondering: What is the proper response to the aggravation of a persistent fly? Put it in a cage and release it in the wild? Make an exhibit of it at the local zoo? What would you do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 7,562 • Replies: 69

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:30 pm
Anyone who missed the news story might think I made this up. Nope. He was really criticised for killing that fly.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
I might look at the video for other reasons: I saw somewhere that he is a graceful fly-killer. Flies can be disease vectors, and at least used to be considered polio carriers (don't know if that was debunked or not). I suggest some peta types submit to sequential horsefly bites, while they keep busy nurturing their free range mosquitoes.
sozobe

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:52 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:54 pm
@sozobe,
That was wonderful...

As you know, soz, I'm not a droid for Obama, my opinions are complex, but I appreciate at least that bit.
sozobe

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 06:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Me too... hadn't heard of it 'til Edgar mentioned it, had to look for it. Love that he cleaned it up too rather than just leaving it for some lackey.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 06:02 pm
@ossobuco,
One of the pluses about albuquerque is that I've rarely seen a fly here. Mosquito either, although I'm not right by the river.
sozobe

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 06:05 pm
@ossobuco,
That's a big plus! Mosquito season is starting here, I have a doozy of a bite behind my knee <scratch scratch scratch>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:03 pm
@sozobe,
That's hilarious!

Of course, it's bad karma and all...but that fly was aiming for suicide by president. Its fifteen seconds of fame.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:18 pm
Flies carry diseases. The one he killed may have been harboring an unknown pathogen that could wipe out humanity! Thanks to his selfless act countless lives may have been saved! He killed that fly without regard for how PETA or animal rights activists would feel! For the good of humanity! The man should be praised, not criticized!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:34 pm
I don't know about snakes, but i never saw bugs when i was in Ireland.

Let's all move to Ireland.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
msolga

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:09 pm
@Foofie,
Oh Foofie, really!!! Shocked
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:10 pm
Bush killed millions of human beings yet we reelected him! Obama kills a fly and gets criticized. The logic of the American people sometimes escapes me.
msolga

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:14 pm
@NickFun,
Quote:
Obama kills a fly and gets criticized

Well, he could have caught it in a jar, then set it free, outside, later! Wink

As for the reasons for reelecting Bush, I never quite figured that one out.
roger

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:40 pm
@msolga,
Kerry
msolga

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:42 pm
@roger,
Oh I see. I think! Wink

(I thought you were talking about the fly, roger! Laughing )
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:42 pm
@Foofie,
Eh? If one is totally and everyday inundated by flies, fully powerless, that is what all of us would end up doing, african or from a stockyard in the US. Ancestry, pedantry, it has to do with dealing with them.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Meantime, I get bitten regularly by ants, or... maybe some teeny tiny spiders I'm not informed about. This is nothing to what others deal with, but they are aggravating, sometimes approach two inch circles of displeasure.

But, african babies in photos with flies, very hard to look at, I wish I had power, not over the u.s., but the way life can be.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 09:53 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I might look at the video for other reasons: I saw somewhere that he is a graceful fly-killer. Flies can be disease vectors, and at least used to be considered polio carriers

Diseases are living things too. Maybe PETA should protest the use of antibiotics because it kills bacteria. If they're gonna start obsessing over flies, then they might as well go all the way.