Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 01:09 pm
What a f*ckin' idiot . . .
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 01:38 pm
@NickFun,
NickFun wrote:
Thomas, I checked out your profile. You're an educated man. Looks like you've done OK for yourself. You probably have some money saved up. Now that you've taken everything America has to offer, why don't you leave? Find yourself a country you will "love" and will offer you more.

Apparently your irony detectors are incompatible with my sense of irony. I don't, in fact, hate America. But to answer your question: My feelings of love (or hatred) apply to individuals. I don't apply them to whole countries. Indeed, the idea of loving or hating an entire country strikes me as absurd and bigoted. Gustav Heinemann, Germany's president in the early 70s, expressed my feelings best when he said: "I don't love my country, I love my wife."
Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 01:43 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie, I have taken trips down South, and have talked to people who live there. I see no reason why Lash, FreeDuck, Bipolar Bear, Squinney, and realjohnnyboy would react to my opinions any differently than Joe Nation, littlek, or Sozobe would.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 01:43 pm
@Thomas,
You're a Renaissance anal retentive!!!!

Very Happy

Lovely bit of research.

What's the bets on what's gonna go down as the "truth" though.
Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 01:48 pm
@dlowan,
Whatever version they told on FOX "News", of course.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 06:54 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I've a degree in bacteriology, but from years of yore. As such, I'll listen to data.

Don't get me going on bacterial caretaking.

I love yogurt. Yum Smile
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 06:59 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
3) Having been pestered by the media for their opinion, they chose not to make a big deal out of it.

Obviously PETA didn't take Obama's example to heart. They could have just slapped what was pestering them, then picked it up after the interview was done.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 09:44 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Gustav Heinemann, Germany's president in the early 70s, expressed my feelings best when he said: "I don't love my country, I love my wife."

You love Gustav Heinemann's wife?
Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 10:29 pm
@joefromchicago,
I would, but I think she's a little too old for me. Not to mention dead.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 10:33 pm
@Thomas,
Well, that puts the plate on it.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 11:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Ah, sorry, edits self.
0 Replies

bloosmudge

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 06:37 am
One question, does PETA watch where they step in case they catch an ant, or perhaps even a spider??
parados

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 01:36 pm
@bloosmudge,
I think you missed the part where it was explained PETA didn't complain about the fly.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 01:43 pm
It's impossible to go through life and not kill things. Even the most organic food has naturally derived pesticides used on them. If you look at any grain product under a microscope you will see tons of insect eggs and sometimes the insects themselves.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 01:46 pm
@joefromchicago,
Joe the Ambulance Chaser is full of jokes--bad ones. But he does not know that the best jokes he ever told is when he gave horseshit advice to people who erronenously asked him for advice about being a lawyer.

Joe the Ambulance Chaser did not tell them to buy a good pair of running shoes. But now that Joe weighs close to 250 lbs. He can't make it up the hospital stairs very well.

Poor Joe==He had better get a job from Stroger. Stroger is one of the few people who is dumb enough to hire a fake like Joe.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 01:48 pm
Green Witch wrote:

It's impossible to go through life and not kill things. Even the most organic food has naturally derived pesticides used on them. If you look at any grain product under a microscope you will see tons of insect eggs and sometimes the insects themselves.

She is quite correct. I once stepped on an ant hill and was severely upbraided by two superannuated women from PETI. That's People for the ETHICAL TREATMENT of INSECTS.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 03:22 pm
@NickFun,
Quote:
Bush killed millions of human beings yet we reelected him! Obama kills a fly and gets criticized. The logic of the American people sometimes escapes me.

I don't know that we can conclude that loony PETA is representative of the thinking of the American people.

I assume that your contention that President Bush killed millions of human beings is connected to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Considering that President Obama did not immediately begin a rapid withdrawal of American troops from Iraq, actually increased the number of American troops in Afghanistan, and authorized cross-border attacks by Predator drones in Pakistan, can I also assume you believe that he too has become a killer of human beings?
farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 05:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I heard that dick cheney did the same fly catching thing as Obama, cept he did it with his tongue.
dlowan

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 08:11 pm
@farmerman,
I take it that the Fox and other bad media outlets news IS triumphing, and that the reality that Thomas undug, that PETA DIDN'T make a fuss about it, is lost?

Thus another urban myth goes to make grist for the mills of Finn et al that manyfacture for them their belief in "loony libruls".
farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 08:27 pm
@dlowan,
I watch the Simpsons on Fox, thats it. I really didnt hear a big dela about this except on the radio quiz shows.