Obama Kills Fly; PETA Disturbed by His Action

farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:04 pm
@rosborne979,
Colbert did an interview with the family of the fly that was brutally murdered by Obama
ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:11 pm
@rosborne979,
Ros, listening..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:12 pm
@farmerman,
Would you just stop with making me snort?
No, I figure not.
Carry on.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 11:08 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Colbert did an interview with the family of the fly that was brutally murdered by Obama

Are they planning any legal action? Are the police involved? Have any charges been laid? Or does the President have some form of immunity?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 11:55 pm
@rosborne979,
I've a degree in bacteriology, but from years of yore. As such, I'll listen to data.

Don't get me going on bacterial caretaking.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 12:16 am
Quote:
PETA is sending President Barack Obama a Katcha Bug Humane Bug Catcher, a device that allows users to trap a house fly and then release it outside.

"We support compassion even for the most curious, smallest and least sympathetic animals," PETA spokesman Bruce Friedrich said Wednesday. "We believe that people, where they can be compassionate, should be, for all animals."

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-politics/20090617/US.Obama.Dead.Fly/
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 12:43 am
@hawkeye10,
You're trying to make me swear, aren't you?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 12:49 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Aaaaah!

It's always the poor little maggots which suffer.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 02:57 am
Obama will have to listen to PETI. People for the Ethical Treatment of Insects.

Only left wing morons and people who worship the "earth" would come up with such nonsense.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 07:00 am
@Mame,
He'd probably just get a slap on the wrist; which has already been carried out in this case.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 07:01 am
@genoves,
To be fair, the fly was a centrist. Centered between left wing and right wing. Why does Obama hate the center?
0 Replies

fedup

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 07:09 am
@NickFun,
That is not true about Bush. Don't rewrite history.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 09:35 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Yep. I watched him kill the fly on a TV news show. They quoted PETA as criticising the president's action.

edgarblythe wrote:
Anyone who missed the news story might think I made this up. Nope. He was really criticised for killing that fly.

Perhaps more precisely, he was really cited as being criticized for killing that fly. When I just went to the PETA website to check it, the picture looked somewhat different.

1) There is no "official" statement by PETA on the fly. There is only a blog entry by one PETA writer.

2) According to PETA, the driver of this whole story was the media, not PETA itself: As they put it in the blog post: "Believe it or not, we've actually been contacted by multiple media outlets wanting to know PETA's official response to the executive insect execution." The tone of the post is clearly ironic.

3) Having been pestered by the media for their opinion, they chose not to make a big deal out of it. Actually, why don't I quote that blog post in its entirety?

Alisa Mullins, writing in the PETA.org blog, wrote:
Well, I guess it can't be said that President Obama wouldn't hurt a fly. The commander in chief was recently pestered by a fly during an interview. He swatted at the insect and killed the little guy instantly.

Believe it or not, we've actually been contacted by multiple media outlets wanting to know PETA's official response to the executive insect execution.

In a nutshell, our position is this: He isn't the Buddha, he's a human being, and human beings have a long way to go before they think before they act.

If all this has you wondering how you can be a bigger person (figuratively, as well as literally) in your dealings with exoskeletal beings, check out our handy-dandy bug catcher"one of which we are sending to President Obama for future insect incidents. I can tell you from personal experience that it sure came in handy the other day, when one of my cats was chasing the World's Largest Palmetto Bug around the house.

Source

The real story here isn't about PETA obsessing over flies. It's about some media outlets obsessing over PETA allegedly obsessing over flies.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 11:15 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
The real story here isn't about PETA obsessing over flies. It's about some media outlets obsessing over PETA allegedly obsessing over flies.

I hope you realize that the false story is much more entertaining than the true one. Why are you taking away our enjoyment? You hate us, don't you. Why do you hate America?
snood

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 11:16 am
comin' to this a lil' late...

I couldn't frickin believe the media made such a deal about him killing a frickin fly - it was as if he had scaled Mt Everest and brought back a Yeti, or something. and I'm not believin that PETA is now in on the conflagration about it...

unbefrikkinlievable.

I want him to fix the economy, stand up to big business and wall street, be a man of his word about issues...

I don't give a frik about all this fluff
Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 11:22 am
It's been slow for the Republicans lately, Snood, they have to do something to keep their indignation at the election of the first communist President before the public eye . . .
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 11:23 am
@joefromchicago,
Indeed, I hate America so much I oppose schools forcing students to recite the pledge of Allegiance.
NickFun

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 11:34 am
@Thomas,
Thomas, I checked out your profile. You're an educated man. Looks like you've done OK for yourself. You probably have some money saved up. Now that you've taken everything America has to offer, why don't you leave? Find yourself a country you will "love" and will offer you more.
Foofie

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 12:06 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

comin' to this a lil' late...

I couldn't frickin believe the media made such a deal about him killing a frickin fly - it was as if he had scaled Mt Everest and brought back a Yeti, or something. and I'm not believin that PETA is now in on the conflagration about it...

unbefrikkinlievable.

I want him to fix the economy, stand up to big business and wall street, be a man of his word about issues...

I don't give a frik about all this fluff

I would guess you can empathize with Obama's reaction to said fly. Certain folks in the U.S. would have thought it had meaning, from the fly's perspective. Prejudice does not leave a society quickly, but in slow increments.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 12:11 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Indeed, I hate America so much I oppose schools forcing students to recite the pledge of Allegiance.

Why not take a trip down South and mention your feelings there?