THE INTELLIGENCE OF DOGS

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:16 pm
@roger,
My dog likes to capture the big tree roaches and lizards and then play with them the same way a cat does.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:56 pm
My 15lb cat has completely turned my dogs into giant wimps. The cat is declawed and shadow boxes my dogs, who are now subservient of him. In the morning, my cat regularly bathes my dogs, which they totally allow. My cat jumps on their heads and licks their faces totally wet.

I have a black and a yellow lab, both weigh upwards of 80lbs, and they are giant softies around this evil little cat (ok, he's big for a cat, but still).
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 10:00 pm
@rosborne979,
My black lab has OCD when it comes to fetch. I've seen him go for almost 45 minutes straight, balls out, full speed, full effort and excitement.

My arm wears out well before he does.
chai2

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 04:40 am
@maporsche,
before we got otis, roland would insist on playing fetch with his mice for a half an hour at a time.
he'd return them right to your lab.

now, he has otis to play tackle with. playing fetch takes 2nd place.
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:00 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Maybe so, but Dakota certainly doesn't seem to mind when the deck is stacked in her favor.

I wasn't saying they resent injustice to others--just to themselves. Dogs are, socially, like toddlers all their lives. The petty squabbles between the boy dog and the girl dog here are endless and tedious. One favorite trick is to lie down in a hall or doorway so the other cannot get through, and then play all innocent when the squabbling starts.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:02 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

You play fetch with your cat while conducting experiments?
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:29 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

pigs are the smartest of domestic animals. They recognize themselves in a reflective surface and they have several vocalizations for communications. Dogs are good, I only respect and like the working dogs though. The others are pretty much whining twits who would die of starvation if they didnt have a human to supply all their every need.

Very few dogs have been allowed to retain their natural intelligence . Theyve mostly been bred for conformity not brains. Thats why you will see all kinds of body styles , color, and gair length in border collies , Aussie Sheepdogs, and Shelties. Any dog thats bred for conformance has a gene link to dumbness and cuteness.
Too bad, many varieties of dogs have had illustrious histories in hunting, working and protection. Many of the classic breeds like St Bernards (bred from Molossus stock) are becoming vicious because their conformity stacks the deck against their original nature as a working dog. Same thing with German Shepherds, whove become a breed that rarely lives past 10 years because of all the congenital crap thats been allowd to become dominant.

With cats, you know that theres something big going on in their heads, even if its pissing off the dog just for sport. Im convinced that cats know how to laugh.

hence why i like pitbulls so much.

not only do they listen more than any other dog ive met, and being a million times more loyal, they are the most intelligent and they do a lot of work..

well, i like all working and guard dogs pretty much, and herding ^_^
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:55 pm
Having grown up watching daily episodes of Lassie and Rin Tin Tin, I cannot help but believe that dogs and their owners develop a mutual respect that cats and cat owners do not have. I know this sounds anthropomorphic, but on some level, I believe, dogs as pack animals understand that its owner is the head of the pack, and values being part of that twosome.

I also cannot help but think that many cat owners are deluding themselves by thinking that their cat "loves" them. Give me a break.
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:53 pm
@Foofie,
I have no false presumptions about my cats. They are only waiting for us to die so that they can suck the blood from our still warm bodies.

So we try to give em as much Fancy Feast as they can eat.

However, dogs? Intelligent? come on. Mine really suck at ordinary differential equations.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 09:01 pm
@farmerman,
Have dogs died aside "masters"? somehow I think so, whether or not I remember episodes.

If Pacco ate me, I'da been very surprised while dead. Possible, yeah, I can read.
Any data on all this?
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 09:16 pm
@ossobuco,
that went right over my head osso. Whattya mean?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 09:20 pm
@farmerman,
Honey, you are always smarter..

what I meant, is that I take it that some dogs do scarf up masters, and, (is it only wishful thinking?) some don't.

I've no idea on data.

Climate may apply.
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:00 pm
@ossobuco,
I was actually joking, and I was talking about my cats . My dogs are so dumb

HOW DUMB ARE THEY

My dogs are so dumb that they cant do differential equations.

Tell yer friends Ill be here till Saturday. Big matinee show at midnight tomorrow.
Foofie

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 11:55 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I was actually joking, and I was talking about my cats . My dogs are so dumb

HOW DUMB ARE THEY

My dogs are so dumb that they cant do differential equations.

Tell yer friends Ill be here till Saturday. Big matinee show at midnight tomorrow.

You kidding? Rin Tin Tin was smarter than Rusty, in my opinion. And Lassie was smarter than Timmy, again in my opinion.

But, it is not Doggie IQ that I was referring to, but to the AWARENESS of dogs of a relationship with its owner. Cats seem to be so blase about their respective human owner, by comparison, in my opinion.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 12:59 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

chai2 wrote:

You play fetch with your cat while conducting experiments?

Yes, because I am a lab bitch.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 01:03 pm
Makes sense to me . . .

Uhm . . . you got that short black dress with the white lab coat thing goin' on?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 05:14 pm
@Setanta,
Kudos for the thread, most enjoyable in a longtime. (I hope that's not the knell of thread death).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 05:17 pm
@Setanta,
You do know the dogs and I can read everything you're posting here eh.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 12:40 pm
@Setanta,
Yea most dogs are smart enough not to eat themselves into oblivion.. are you Set?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 07:06 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

do your cats display their recent mouse catches so you can asdmire them?

My father used to have a cat named Greta... not only would she proudly play show and tell with the mice, she would occasionally strut in with the occasional song bird. She was so chuffed with herself!
0 Replies