Blow my mind.

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 05:42 pm
Give me a philosophical argument that's REALLY radical, please.

That will do more than a tab of acid would.

pq x
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 6,469 • Replies: 28
No top replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 05:51 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I want to pack some explosives into a crevice and expand my cave.
spendius

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 05:53 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I daren't.

You could read Frank Harris or Henry Miller's Opus Pistorum.

Did you not check out Bellini's The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa. That blew the Pope's mind.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 07:22 pm
Ever see one of those string arts?

http://www.childs.mccsc.edu/art98/string1.gif

Now, imagine that you are a nail and you have a thread going from you to everything natural that you associate with. You have different threads going to your family friends, pets, the Earth, trees, etc. Each of those things also have threads going to other people and things.

These threads make up the tapestry of life.
dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 07:50 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I love the ontological argument for the existence of god.

If you read it as is, it's not uncommon to get a major "It's valid!!!!" response (some really reputable philosophers have had this reaction for a moment...it wasn't just a pleb like me.)

Only...it's really hard to get it online without the crtique of its validity coming first/used as a basic assumption.

Best to read it in a philosophy book just stated.

This is the closest I could get:

http://www.formalontology.it/ontological-proof.htm

The rebuttals/critiques are everywhere online...and doubtles sincluded in this site.

But...see if you can have a bit of fun with it WITHOUT reading the critiques first.

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 07:52 pm
@dlowan,
Peter Singer's stuff re value of animals vs deeply impaired humans is damn interesting....a lot of his stuff is, I think.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 09:48 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Since you mention acid -- Daniel Dennett's Darwin's Dangerous Idea should be to your liking. It isn't a radical argument as much as it is an exposition of how radical the implications of Darwinism really are once you really understand them and really think them through. (He compares Darwinism to a Universal acid that dissolves and transforms everything it touches.)

Brilliant stuff! Dennet is one of my philosophical heroes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 10:45 pm
I like at least Singer, but why is it you need to be blown to feel alive?

Can't you just walk down the street and just be? I suppose not, and that is my assignment to you, to achieve that, many times.
aidan

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 11:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
why is it you need to be blown to feel alive?

That sounds like a question you'd hear in a sex therapist's office

Laughing Laughing (lots of funny stuff on a2k this morning- sorry Osso- but I liked the wording of your question).
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 11:32 pm
@aidan,
I'm tiptoeing, and blown was not a mistake - in that I get that Pentacle Queen has an online construct going on, quite a lot true to herself.

aidan

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 11:34 pm
@ossobuco,
I know - I just thought it was cute- taken in another context.
sorry to interrupt.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 11:52 pm
@aidan,
Not a knock.

I don't know. PQ and I are different, as you and I are, probably, Aidan.

She's smarter than I am, but life is not about smart. So I go into my worry mode.
aidan

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 12:00 am
@ossobuco,
I think you seem just as smart Osso - really - I'm not just saying that. You observe and think a lot - that's being smart.
There's intelligence and then there's intellectualism.
I detect real intelligence in a lot of your postings- not to mention some real intellectualism in the areas in which you have interest.
Osso said:
Quote:
life is not about smart, So I go into my worry mode
She seems to have a good head on her shoulders and gets a lot of support- she's exploring what's interesting to her - there could be worse things for her to explore -we both know that.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 12:17 am
@aidan,
thanks, aidan. I'll revel in that for a bit. But..

I'm a laggard in many ways re any kind of back up re my accumulated opinions.. I've always read in swaths and rarely memorized.
So, I enjoy your take. I can be decimated quickly by the data prone.
And, I don't always agree with you, but so it goes.

Glad to talk.
aidan

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 12:30 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I've always read in swaths and rarely memorized.

Yeah- me too. But I have a friend who has memorized everything - so I'll say stuff like , 'What's that book by so and so that's about such and such...' and because I remember the basic themes - we can talk pretty in depth about it - he just has to supply the title first... Laughing Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 12:40 am
@aidan,
I'm the one that can come up with directors of obscure movies..

oh, wait, I'm older now, and don't care, even a little.

Ah, I lie. I've quit following it all.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:31 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
These threads make up the tapestry of life.

And like Gulliver they hold you fast.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:43 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
From 2nd Queenie's post, and we have to take it as it is, it seems as if she is a bit like a pressurised vessel that the foreman has screwed the safety valve down to the bottom to make the hams cook faster because the Chopped Ham canning line is stopped.

I think a spell in a convent might be best. That's what they used to do in the good old days with feral young women.

Assuming she is an inchoate alpha female, which I'm inclined to do, it is hardly possible to take her metaphor any other way. A future Kay Burley or Anna Botting.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:57 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

From 2nd Queenie's post, and we have to take it as it is, it seems as if she is a bit like a pressurised vessel that the foreman has screwed the safety valve down to the bottom to make the hams cook faster because the Chopped Ham canning line is stopped.

I think a spell in a convent might be best. That's what they used to do in the good old days with feral young women.

Assuming she is an inchoate alpha female, which I'm inclined to do, it is hardly possible to take her metaphor any other way. A future Kay Burley or Anna Botting.

Can someone translate this for me? x
panzade

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:58 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:
Can someone translate this for me? x

I dunno...he's YOUR countryman Very Happy
0 Replies