A good dog groomer can spot an illness

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 08:39 am
I have a wonderful groomer, Barbara, for my Dolly and Madison doggies. She spotted an infection in Maddy's penis last week and advised me of her discovery. I took Maddy to the Vet yesterday and he is now on antibotics for twelve days to get rid of his nasty bug.

A few months ago, my groomer also advised me that, when cleaning Dolly and Maddy's ears, that she found signs of infection. Again, took them to the vet and they were treated. No sign of ear problems now.

There are good groomers and bad ones. Your pet's groomers can be a valuable source of information to keep your pets well. Have any of your groomers reported symptons of an illness to you?

My groomer took good care of Dolly and Maddy despite her worries about her 46 year old husband, who is battling recuring cancer. They have seven children. She carries on. She's my good friend. We cried together when my first Dolly and Madison died. Now we cry together for her husband.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,107 • Replies: 5
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 10:07 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I have a dog that loves to live on the edge. He recently got an infection from a tangle with a groundhog. He wa licking his leg and my wife noticed that there was a funky smell starting to come from his upper front right leg. We took him to the vet and the infection was found to be a supphorating wound that ran quite deep. He only had it for like 2 days and he kept it away from us. Hes a good dog who doesnt want to be a problem when he gets himself torn to **** from his runins with wildlife.
We get the border collie groomed regularly cause she can wind up looking like a mud ball with each run in the fields. Ernie only gets groomed twice a year for his nails and ears and teeth. Hes a short hair who doesnt mind getting brushed, whereas the border collie has no patience with brushing

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 11:50 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
My experience with groomers is that they can over-report in their efforts, though a good groomer won't get carried away.

We had one that thought Bailey and Cleo had fleas every year based on what she found in their coats - it turned out to be sand 6 years out of 6 Confused She makes them look lovely but she's got some kinda issue with anything she thinks might be flea poop.
Wy

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 07:09 pm
@ehBeth,
Well, gather some together and put it on white paper. Drip a little water on it and you'll know for sure!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 07:13 pm
This is so much bullshit . . . last time i took the little doggies to the groomer, i was comin' down with the flu, and she never noticed at all . . .
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 07:18 pm
@Setanta,
I've very small experience with dog groomers. I did bring the Pacc to get his nails clipped, but it was always me that groomed him. Alternately, I've had good veterinarians for my dogs.
0 Replies