LOL!
0 Replies

USAFHokie

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:11 pm
cost shmost. you can find it online.... got kazaa??? :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:21 pm
What's Kazaa? Now I'm starting to feel really stupid!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 04:20 pm
Amazing!

I was getting two or three a day.

Now we are discussing it -- and haven't gotten a one in two days.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 04:24 pm
Did you remove anything Frank? I just quickly went through my programs and removed a few things I recognized and didn't use, but I'm not sure if it did anything yet. When I have the time I need to do more snooping. Problem is I don't know what some of those programs are and that alone drives me nuts.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 06:07 pm
Montana, you won't be sorry if you upgrade to XP.
But to your immediate problem ... A lot of Win9X problems can be traced to TSR applications ... programs, often started with Windows or along with another application, which remain in thebackground, they Terminate], but Stay Resident, and consume both RAM and processor power though essentially doing nothing but consuming resources.

Try to elimate them by doing the following: Disconnect from the Internet and/or your own network, disable "Start with Windows" for everything except Explorer and Systray via System Configuration Utility. (Start>Run> type {W/out spaces or punctuation}: "MSCONFIG", click OK>Startup to get to the Startup options) and clear the checkmark from the box next to the application name, then click "Apply", exit System Configuration Utility and then reboot. When the machine is fully rebooted, repeat Ctl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager, note any applications shown OTHER THAN Explorer and Systray that appear. Navigate to the configuration utility page for that program, and manually deselect "Start With" or "Run With" options. whereever possible. Sometimes ya gotta dig for 'em, but they're there, more often than not.
Anyway, after disabling as many as you can find, run Defrag, and reboot. See if any are left. Use a few of your common applications and games for a few minutes, print a page or two, closing some applications, just minimizing others, checking Task Manager to verify what is running following each change. If there is no problem, if operation appears normal, activate your anti-virus ONLY, connect to the internet and browse a bit. If a problem develops, try to shut down and disable whatever application(s) were last added to the session. Reboot and go back to attempting normal use, but do not use that application. If the problem does not recur, you can begin to make a pretty good guess at where the problem lies.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:35 pm
Thank you so much Timber for your advice. I got rid of some programs earlier today and my problem seems to be solved, but all this information will surely come in handy in the future, so I truly appreciate everyones help.

Thanks all :-)
0 Replies