What's a good portable CD player?

roger

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:31 pm
Walkman sounded good till I looked at Amazon. There's maybe 50 or 100 different Walkmans out there, so that doesn't help much. Neither do the reviews, as they're mostly in regard to durability and sometimes features. What I want is something that delivers very good quality speech through headphones.

The disk drive on the computer is swell. It's just not where I want to spend alot of time sitting.

View best answer, chosen by roger
Rockhead

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:35 pm
@roger,
a good set of headphones will transfer from your 'puter to any external device.

no advice on said device, I travel in a truck.
0 Replies

panzade
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:41 pm
@roger,
I have an RCA MP3 player that cost me $37 bucks 2 years ago...it's easy to use....you don't have to hook it up to the computer to charge it, and I listen to books on it through ear buds...that what you're interested in?

oh...and it plays through a cassette into my truck stereo
panzade

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:53 pm
here's a video presentation on the device...don't know if I'm allowed to post this

Rockhead

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:56 pm
@panzade,
this is the new wild west, panz, anything floats 'cept pron...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:59 pm
@panzade,
Sounds like the right idea, but I do have to work with CDs, and I know from nothing about MP3.

I'll check the video. I think the only problem with posting it might be if your initials were RCA, and would probably be okay in response to a question.
panzade

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 12:04 am
@roger,
the way I work with cd's is I load 'em into my computer...then I drag the content into the Window Media player where it gets loaded into the RCA unit(synchronization) through the USB port...it's easier than it sounds...lol
roger

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 12:24 am
@panzade,
Hmmm. I should have watched the video before commenting. I might be able to figure that out, afterall.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 01:45 am
I'd second the mp3 recommendation. You can get them under $20 and mp3 players with flash memory can be made with no moving parts, meaning quality is much less a factor and even bad ones will outlast a good cd player.

But as to the cd player, I don't have a particular one to recommend (of course Sony and other name brands are a no-brainer) but I'd make sure to get as many seconds of "skip protection" as you can, make sure it also plays mp3 cds, and I think you should be able to get this for under $35 as well.

Still, consider mp3 players, if it's a regular audio cd it is a piece of cake to convert to mp3.
roger

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 03:09 am
@Robert Gentel,
Decisions, decisions. I learned to type, I can probably learn to MP3, or however you say it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 03:00 am
Okay, I went with the MP3 player. Turned out to be more like rip, drag, drop and synchronize, instead of just drag, but it's a real swell system and the capacity is just mindbogging. Thanks for talking me out of a bad idea, guys.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 04:14 pm
@roger,
Nice to see you join the digial millenium! I just noticed that I too went on about durability when that wasn't you key concern. Unless the player is of very bad quality, the key will be the headphones and the players shouldn't make too much of a difference.

What kind of player did you go with?
panzade

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 04:16 pm
@roger,
yeah i forgot to mention the rip part...glad you're pleased
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 05:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Sony E438
Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 09:37 am
@roger,
Yes, the shirt-pocket size of the MP-3 player is sure better than having to carry around a player and a bunch of CD's.
roger

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 01:31 pm
@Lightwizard,
Really. The storage capacity is unbelievable to someone who had to physically install a hard drive on his first computer. That gave 1megabyte storage - compared to 8gb on a gizzerblinker as thick as 4 credit cards. Thirty hours in storage occupies about 1/3 of total capacity.

Panz did drop a clue on the virtues of a dry cell device. I can visualize lots of times when I won't be able to plug it into a computer for recharge.
djjd62

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 01:34 pm
@roger,
you can buy chargers for most mp3 players that plug into a wall socket for recharging
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 01:36 pm
@roger,
storage space now is amazing, i was late to the pc game, my first comp had 2 gig hard drive, now i'm sitting looking at 16 ig ipod that fits in my shirt pocket
0 Replies

theinnocentone

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:00 pm
i think cd player is already out of the scene...
roger

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:38 pm
@theinnocentone,
They're still there, but they are hard to find locally, let me tell you. Anyway, the mp3 is working out quite well.
0 Replies