Oh, lonesome me

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 10:35 am
@panzade,
OK, you weren't criticizing. My point was just to set the record straight . . . you know . . . make sure he had the low down skinny?
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 11:42 am
Quote:
the low down skinny?

Say, wouldn't that make a great tattoo?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 11:44 am
How would you translate that into Latin, Georgius?
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 11:49 am
@George,
I think that's true some of the time, I do appear unfriendly sometimes. I don't feel that I can change that,when I am in that sort of mood, I cannot help but appear unsociable.

I hate myself for being that way towards people, but I'm hardly that way most of the time.
George

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 12:25 pm
@existential potential,
Yeah, I too insist on my right to be a grump when I feel like it.

You must be getting pretty excited about moving on to the university. Maybe
a little jittery as well. I envy you that experience. Some of my best friends are
friends I made at that time.
panzade

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 03:23 pm
@George,
yeah....those were...good times
spendius

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 03:30 pm
There you go ep.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 04:19 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
yeah....those were...good times

We thought they'd never end.
We'd sing and dance . . .
spendius

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 04:56 am
@George,
ep. What was your reason for choosing that userneme?
existential potential

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 09:45 am
@spendius,
no reason, I just thought of it and it sounded cool.

however, I have thought that it refers in a sense to Heidegger's point about "Dasein", in that Dasein (us) is, "constantly more than it factually is"; there are always a number of potential paths that we can choose to go down, and this is true for any moment in our lives. my existence is capable of developing in many ways, more ways than I would care to think about in an average day.
spendius

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 02:22 pm
@existential potential,
Quote:
no reason, I just thought of it and it sounded cool.

Why do you wish to sound cool? Women can't manage cool guys so it follows that they are not attracted to them. They like high earning well brought up gumps. The quiet ones I mean who are the large majority. My Nanny warned me about the quiet ones. "It's the quiet ones you have to watch spendi ", she insisted.

Quote:
there are always a number of potential paths that we can choose to go down, and this is true for any moment in our lives. my existence is capable of developing in many ways, more ways than I would care to think about in an average day.

Do you mean because you haven't the time to think about the possibilities, which is reasonable in view of how many there are, or do you mean that the most interesting ones give you the heebie-jeebies.

In fact the "dramatic act" of choosing that name is existential. You were bound to be challenged on it at some point and that could easily lead to a study of existentialism and that can be a bit of a trial for those who lack a sense of a certain type of humour.

Laughing at an inauguration ceremony of the Dean of Studies is a simple enough way to start developing one. You can work up to more advanced forms pretty quickly. We are having a ball here at the moment. Some clever dick has caught half of our MPs with their hands in the till and the indignation is hilarious. It is as if the more they impugn our MPs immorality and dishonesty the more everybody will think they are themselves pure and innocent. I don't know how some leader writers can write editorials we are seeing without falling to pieces.

Some existentialists would view getting enmeshed in the machinery of higher education to be seriously uncool. Obviously those who have become enmeshed in that noble and esteemed institution and its values will sing the virtues of doing so. As Mandy Rice-Davies nearly said--"Well- they(he) would wouldn't they (he) ? " Mandy was an existentialist. She was a potential one for the first 14 or 15 years of her life.
spendius

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 02:27 pm
Quote:
Some existentialists would view getting enmeshed in the machinery of higher education to be seriously uncool.

I ought to have added unless they are planning a student takeover with sit-ins and what-not.
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 03:15 pm
@spendius,
what's your point?
panzade

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 03:27 pm
@existential potential,
Like many posters on A2K, spendius is paid by the word, not by the point
spendius

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 03:30 pm
@existential potential,
I don't know. It was yesterday. It was what you want it to be.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 05:14 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
Like many posters on A2K, spendius is paid by the word, not by the point

Does anybody know what that means apart from panzade having delivered himself of some random collection of words?
0 Replies