Drag Me To Hell - Anybody scared???

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 09:12 am
Went to see Drag Me to Hell the first day it came out cos I was so excited about the possibility that it really was gonna be the "scariest film in years" as many reviews had suggested. I was so disappointed. It was ok but not scary at all. Am I just too cynical and blase to be scared by films anymore?

Why isn't stuff scary anymore?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,799 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 09:19 am
@Dorothy Parker,
I think that it is due to age and experience. Do you remember when you were a kid? There were probably many things that frightened you. You did not have the hindsight, the understanding, and the maturity to keep the frightening "whatever" in perspective.

As we mature, many of the things that frightened us as children no longer do. We understand why something happens, or we have had related experiences, and have gotten through them.

I remember the big brouhaha a few years ago about the "Blair Witch Project"? To me it was a total bore, but young audiences thought that it was very frightening. If you think about it, most "horror" movies are geared to younger viewers.
Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 11:26 am
@Phoenix32890,
Yeah guess you're right Phoenix. I'll have to try and scare myself in other ways.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 12:14 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
Give me an example of a movie that you did think was scary. Have you seen Alien?

I heard that Drag me to Hell was good but I haven't seen it yet.
djjd62

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 12:22 pm
@rosborne979,
alien was probably the last film to really scare me, the aliens body was very mechanical looking, arms like cables, head like a motorcycle gas tank, perfect camouflage for the environment, the ship was dark and dirty, really well done, one scene in a hallway where a bunch of cables with stripped wires at the end (looking very much like the aliens arm) comes swinging down from the ceiling still makes me jump after about 50 viewings
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 03:01 pm
I liked the movie but it was not a truly SCARY movie...

just the loud noises, big demon faces and freaky things at just the right times.
Gave me a good jump in my seat 4 or 5 times which is what I pay to see a horror movie for.

It was not the BEST movie in the world. Not by any means, but it does its job.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 03:16 pm
I, alas, must confess: "Scary" movies bore me. I always fall asleep when stuck watching one.
farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 06:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
A movie that scared the hell out of me(it wasnt intended as a horror movie) was "A Perfect STorm". If youve been on big stormy water in a smallish boat, it would scare the crap out of you because theres almost nothing you can do but hold on and ride it out.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 06:57 pm
@farmerman,
I saw that movie. I think it would have affected me more if I had not known the ending in advance.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 07:06 pm
Thinking of Perfect Storm, I recall being in the middle of the Pacific on a destroyer, mulling the info that this type of ship can in some cases sink in 60 seconds. Well, we would likely lose the whole crew, in that scenario, so at least my weak swimming skills would not be a factor.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 02:03 pm
You want scary?
Read my IRA summary.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 02:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
I read the boom before I saw the movie also. The effects of the giant seas and the grey green skies just filled us with a dread and , we were skeert.
We motored though a squall out near Sable ISwland once andthes eas were up to my radar transponder (about 20 ft up). When youre in a wave trough bigger than your boat, you get a sense of helplessness. We set up a quick release drag anchor and sat in the pilot house drinking tea for hours just trying to see our way and my wifes eyes fixed on the weather fax.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 12:10 pm
@rosborne979,
I think The Shining is really scary.
0 Replies