Deuteronomy 13:7–11

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 07:41 pm
"If your brother, the son of your father or of your mother, or your son or daughter, or the spouse whom you embrace, or your most intimate friend, tries to secretly seduce you, saying, “Let us go and serve other gods,” unknown to you or your ancestors before you, gods of the peoples surrounding you, whether near you or far away, anywhere throughout the world, you must not consent, you must not listen to him; you must show him no pity, you must not spare him or conceal his guilt. No, you must kill him, your hand must strike the first blow in putting him to death and the hands of the rest of the people following. You must stone him to death, since he has tried to divert you from Yahweh your God."

Sounds real pleasant.

Side note. The bible says we shall kill those who commit adultery. Do you think we should as well? Surprised

Also would you kill your son if God asked you to?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 8,805 • Replies: 15

Olivia92

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 04:21 pm
@Primotivo,
This is clearly the old mosaic law written in the old testament, it doesn't apply to our day and age. As Christians we now follow the new testament which has set us free from the laws of the old.
jcboy

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 04:42 pm
I think the bible is the silliest work of fiction ever published.
0 Replies

nashon7

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:30 am
@Primotivo,
"So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." John 8:7

Jesus stopped such killing when he said, "...He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." He was God embodied in the flesh and came to tell everyone that is old doctrine was only to be used when the faith of Judaism was threatened and was fairly new.
vikorr

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 07:38 pm
@nashon7,
Have you actually even thought about these 'justifications', and how they fit in with your picture of 'God'?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 10:26 am
@Olivia92,
What I find ironic is people will point out the laws in the OT, comment on things they think Jesus may have done wrong, etc., instead of taking the time to find out what it really is they are saying.

Oh and then there is always the "but I thought God doesn't change" when you point out to them we are under grace now and not the law. It's true, God doesn't change. HIS ATTRIBUTES do not change. Changing the way he does something doesn't mean his basic attributes or character have changed.
ebin sabeel

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 10:57 pm
@Arella Mae,
Under grace? Says who? Jesus? No! He said to stick to the Law. Paul is who invented 'under grace.' If someone leaves the faith & entices others to follow what favor have you done those who were enticed into hell by abandoning God?
0 Replies

ontological81

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 12:23 am
@Olivia92,
Except you're wrong.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." (Matthew 5:17)
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2013 07:15 pm
@Primotivo,
The Leviticus extract which you quoted is in the Old Testament, but the OT's harsher bits don't count any more since Jesus gave us the NEW Testament, and people quickly cottoned on-
"The covenant of which Jesus is mediator is superior to the old one" (Heb 8:6)
"In the past God overlooked such ignorance.." (Acts 17:30)
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 04:32 am
@Primotivo,
Primotivo wrote:

Also would you kill your son if God asked you to?

Many people have thought god told them to kill their son/child. BUT,
God tested Abraham, but Abraham was not allowed to kill Isaac, instead an animal was offered instead. God does not want sacrificial killing in any form and that is the moral of that story.

Remember and consider that the Jews were gods chosen people and their descendants. They had a very high code they had to keep. Those still trying to keep that code are surely lacking and will be found guilty. All is forgiven thru the new code thru gods son who took on all the guilt and sin committed.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 03:20 pm
Ontological quoted Jesus- "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." (Matthew 5:17)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes his coming was foretold numerous times in Old T prophecies, and he fulfilled them by arriving.
And he certainly abolished some harsher bits of the OT like when he trashed the old "eye for eye", and when he rescued a woman from the fundy mob.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/JesusAdultrss.jpg
0 Replies

tis4tree

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 10:18 pm
@Olivia92,
The original post is from deuteronomy 13:7-11.
If you look at what god says in deuteronomy 13:1-
"Whatever I am now commanding you, you must keep and observe, adding nothing to it, Taking nothing away. "
This was god himself explicitly telling you to kill anyone who sought to change your faith. Too many people dismiss the OT bassed on mixed and matched bits of the NT that they claim releave them of their duty to honor gods word.
And all this aside the pope accepts Evolution to be true bassed on indisputable facts. If evolution is true there is no place for beliefe in a ghost building a dust man and rib woman. No talking snakes. No magic knowledge trees. No original sin so no reason for the magic ghost to impregnate a virgin with a suicidal son. None of that garbage.

Why anyone believes in magic and ghosts ect but claims evolution is unbelievable (despite the overwhelming evidence) is mind blowing.
"I dont need evidence I have faith" Grow up!!!
0 Replies

Squeakybro

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2014 02:13 pm
FIG TREE-OLD TESTAMENT, JEWS, KNOWLEDGE
Luke 21:29-32
29 Then He spoke to them a parable: "Look at the fig tree, and all the trees.
30 "When they are already budding, you see and know for yourselves that summer is now near.
31 "So you also, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near.
32 "Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all things take place.
Matt 21:19-22
19 And seeing a fig tree by the road, He came to it and found nothing on it but leaves, and said to it, "Let no fruit grow on you ever again." And immediately the fig tree withered away.
20 And when the disciples saw it, they marveled, saying, "How did the fig tree wither away so soon?"
21 So Jesus answered and said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to this mountain, 'Be removed and be cast into the sea,' it will be done.
22 "And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive."
Luke 13:6-9
6 He also spoke this parable: "A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none.
7 "Then he said to the keeper of his vineyard, 'Look, for three years I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree and find none. Cut it down; why does it use up the ground?'
8 "But he answered and said to him, 'Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and fertilize it.
9 'And if it bears fruit, well. But if not, after that you can cut it down.' "
Mark 11:13-14
13 And seeing from afar a fig tree having leaves, He went to see if perhaps He would find something on it. And when He came to it, He found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs.
14 In response Jesus said to it, "Let no one eat fruit from you ever again." And His disciples heard it.
James 3:12-13
12 Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Thus no spring can yield both salt water and fresh.
13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom.
John 6:53-58
53 Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you.
54 "Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.
55 "For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed.
56 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.
57 "As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me.
58 "This is the bread which came down from heaven-- not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever."
John 10:1-9
1 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
2 "But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
3 "To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.
4 "And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.
5 "Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers."
6 Jesus used this illustration, but they did not understand the things which He spoke to them.
7 Then Jesus said to them again, "Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.
8 "All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.
9 "I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.
John 14:6
6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
(NKJ)
XXX There is nothing in the old testament that can help us now. You can feed on the old testament or the new testament. But you can only bear fruit from the new testament.
0 Replies

Ciro

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 01:41 pm
Just one question please: Where did God come from???
Ciro

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 01:45 pm
@Olivia92,
So God allows followers to cherry-pick as life goes on???
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 05:16 pm
@Ciro,
Ciro wrote:

Just one question please: Where did God come from???

From the mythopoeic minds of ancient Palestinians.
0 Replies