RIP David Eddings

mm25075

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 06:51 pm
My favorite author died yesterday. He made a great many books that made me laugh and cry. He inspired me to write my own fantasy novel. He will be greatly missed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,633 • Replies: 10
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 07:00 pm
not read his books, but the death of any author leaves the world a little poorer
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 07:08 pm
@djjd62,
I'm surprised, djjd. He wrote fantasy. Thought you of all people might have tried him.
djjd62

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 07:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
i've thought about his work but never got around to it

it's interesting, i subscribe to audible, and they've been promoting one of his series for a few weeks now, i might have to give him a try
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 07:43 pm
@mm25075,
I read the Belgariad novels many years ago and enjoyed them. Sorry to hear that he has passed away.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 09:51 pm
I read everything up to the Tamuli and then stopped. I'd always planned to read the many books he and Leigh have written since but have not yet gotten around to it, but maybe now would be a good time to do so. Anyone have any recommendations about a good post-Tamuli Eddings series?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 07:26 am
The Belgariad and Mallorean were absolutely superb. I've read them several times. I'm very sorry he's dead. His wife died a few years ago, I believe.
mm25075

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 09:32 am
I just picked up a book titled "Elder Gods" written by him and his wife Leigh. Seems fitting at the moment. He's still with us..it's just not his "time" any more to be among us in the form we are used to.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 10:10 am
@Brandon9000,
The Elenium is my favorite among the four series that I read. I love the Malloreon too, but what slightly spoils it and the Belgariad for me is that he and Leigh did not yet have the guts to kill off important characters. (WARNING: Spoilers ahead.) The "Man With Two Lives" thing from the Belgariad seemed like an easy way out. And all throughout the Malloreon we're told that one of Garion's party is going to die, and in the end it turns out to be the minor character Toth. It was pretty anticlimactic for me. Kurik's death in the Elenium, on the other hand, was genuinely moving.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 11:41 am
@Shapeless,
Shapeless wrote:

The Elenium is my favorite among the four series that I read. I love the Malloreon too, but what slightly spoils it and the Belgariad for me is that he and Leigh did not yet have the guts to kill off important characters. (WARNING: Spoilers ahead.) The "Man With Two Lives" thing from the Belgariad seemed like an easy way out. And all throughout the Malloreon we're told that one of Garion's party is going to die, and in the end it turns out to be the minor character Toth. It was pretty anticlimactic for me. Kurik's death in the Elenium, on the other hand, was genuinely moving.

I'm not sorry that none of the major characters died. I'm not sure that was necessary for artistic integrity.
Shapeless

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 01:02 am
@Brandon9000,
I don't consider it a necessary component either, but that is how I interpreted Durnik and Toth: weak attempts to introduce tragic events. I think the case of Toth was especially disappointing considering the several times Cyradis's prophecy is fretted over in the last book or so of the Malloreon.
0 Replies