Growing Bean Sprouts

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 01:17 pm
I have incorporated bean sprouts into my diet. I started out buying mung bean sprouts at Kroger. The problem is, the sprouts they have are often already getting too old to make it worth bringing them home. I want a handful every day, but can't always have them.

I decided to grow my own. So, I checked Kroger, HEB and a few health food stores. None had the unsprouted beans. But, I remembered the Fiesta over by 249 and 1960. Fiesta is a Mexican owned supermarket that specializes in foreign and domestic foods, as well as having a health food store within the store. I sometimes wander around just to see what is on those shelves. So, I found a huge bag of mung beans at a very reasonable price.

I grew a large handful of beans into sprouts. They are not as fat as the ones in Kroger, but I don't care about that. Problem is, I know I did not do it right. I had some sprouts and had to throw away some sprouts.

Can anybody tell me the best way to do it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 6,156 • Replies: 19
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 02:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
We used to sprout various seeds in a large qt jar. I recall having to wash and drain them at least once a day so they didnt get funky. I also remember mixing radish or roquet seeds in there for a little peppery surprise.
You just have to be careful that the seeds you use arent treated with guthion or some other "cide.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 02:50 pm
Now you throw in guthion. How would I know how the beans were raised?
farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 03:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
We used to buy seeds for "sprouting" at a hippy coop. Im sure they have one near you. The sell seeds that arent used for gardening or farming.
Now we collect mustard seeds in the field and store them to mix with alfalfa sprouts and non coated bean seeds. We havent done this in a while and now that you mention it, Im gonna have to do a batch this weekend.
They can be mighty tasty too, with a vinegar and oil and pepper dressing. We like em really cold .
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 03:06 pm
@farmerman,
Guess I can do a search for the good stuff on line. I don't know anybody around here that cares about this stuff.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 03:10 pm
Online they go for $3.50 up. I will look locally first before ordering.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 03:11 pm
Be careful with sprouts - they have one of the highest surface area - mass ratios of all vegetables and are therefore more susceptible to bacteria per weight than almost any food.

I love sprouts but suspect their involvement in a mild case of food poisoning I suffered in college.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 03:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I will lose credibility with some of you here, but I use colloidal silver to water the beans. The bacteria never gets established.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 03:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I will lose credibility with some of you here, but I use colloidal silver to water the beans. The bacteria never gets established.

I'm not up to speed on the problems with that, though i vaguely remember hearing something about it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 03:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

[...] I use colloidal silver to water the beans. [...]

Ahhhhh, colloidal silver man is at it again!! Shocked Laughing

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GGAmzDRA_BY/SQ5cyGvDWXI/AAAAAAAADnw/44u9l6BZJYE/s400/travis_stone_tin_man.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 04:15 pm
@Reyn,
Wren -
Ever since I got my first computer, people have argued with me that C/S turns you blue or silver. When challenged, they searched in vain for a single silver or blue person and generally resorted to name calling, because they had no case. I find it highly coincidental, to say the least, that suddenly, after all these years, they appear to be coming out of the woodwork. Millions of people have used this stuff since at least early 20th Century and now in the last few years pictures are suddenly available, right when the FDA is attempting to smother all alternative products that could make inroads on the profits enjoyed by designer drug makers. end of rant - Back to sprouts.
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 05:39 pm
Im a die hard silver user too.

I damn sure aint blue
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 06:15 pm
@shewolfnm,
Great to know I am not alone.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 02:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm sure you realized I meant no disrespect. I was just funning ya! Wink

If it works, and you like it, that's all that matters.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 03:02 pm
@Reyn,
Colliodal silver goes real good with penguin poop.
Reyn

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 05:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
As a milkshake? Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 06:10 pm
It sends the poop into outer space. Some bio synthesis process that makes it go. Hell, I don't know the details.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 05:09 pm
I have a 5lb can of certified organic mung sprouting beans now. Two spoons per quart. I could feed Tomball with all those sprouts.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 05:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
I thought of you when this video popped up in this month's garden club newsletter I subscribe to:

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 06:19 pm
@Butrflynet,
I tried an almost identical method in the beginning, but did not like the results. I have been getting pretty fair sprouts using quart size canning jars. I don't like the paper towels or the plastic.
0 Replies