French Jet Vanishes on Flight From Brazil to Paris

talk72000

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 11:53 pm
@dyslexia,
The Bermuda Triangle from what I read seems to relate mostly to shipping disappearance as the frozen liquid Methane at the bottom of the ocean is warmed up and diffuse upward to the surface affecting any shipping above. The water density is reduced thus affecting the bouyancy of any boat floating above.
georgeob1

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 06:32 pm
Recent reports, based on the condition of the vertical stabilizer section that was recently recovered, indicate that it probably sheared off in flight, rather than shattering on impact with the water.

Like many aircraft the A-330 has devices that limit the travel of elevator (pitch) and rudder control surfaces at high airspeeds. This is necessary because the elevator and rudder control authority needed to cope with an engine failure on takeoff or landing at low speeds is sufficient to cause structural failure if full deflection occurs at high speeds. Some are speculating that if multiple Pitot probes iced up yielding an erroneous low airspeed indication and if (as is likely) this is the control imput for the rudder/elevator limiter, the aircrew could have unknowingly found themselves with unlimited control authority at a very high airspeed.

In this condition any turbulence induced excursion in aircraft attitude, perhaps augmented by pilot uncertainty about his airspeed, could have led to a control input that might have led to a stall and/or structural failure. This, of course is only speculation, but as evidence is discovered, it illustrates the process of elimination by which a likely cause is discovered by the investigators.
roger

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 06:44 pm
@talk72000,
Huh???
dyslexia

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 07:14 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Huh???
I really hate humour.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 09:50 pm
@dyslexia,
I think that guy is really Gungasnake using another handle.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 08:21 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Recent reports, based on the condition of the vertical stabilizer section that was recently recovered, indicate that it probably sheared off in flight, rather than shattering on impact with the water.

Well, if the tail fell off in flight that might explain the loss of cabin pressure reported by the electronics.

georgeob1

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 09:17 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Well, if the tail fell off in flight that might explain the loss of cabin pressure reported by the electronics.

Not directly. The vertical stabilizer is well outside the pressure boundary of the fuselage structure. However this fact very definitely points to a scenario such as those I suggested earlier.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 09:14 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
However this fact very definitely points to a scenario such as those I suggested earlier.

Which scenario was that exactly? I think I missed it.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 09:18 pm
@dyslexia,
Eh, I'm following George, within the limits of my, uh, scope.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 11:50 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Which scenario was that exactly? I think I missed it.

I'm not surprised.
0 Replies