chai2

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 07:31 pm
@BorisKitten,
I meant that teens today have just as hard a struggle, as compared to teens 20-30 years ago.

Wasn't talking about adults.
BorisKitten

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 09:05 pm
@chai2,
Well, Chai2, you're definitely right about that!

I know the teens/HS students at my place-of-biz (public library), and yes, they're just as miserable, if not more so, than they were 20-30 yrs ago.

Well, except now their parents are even MORE ABSENT than they were back then. (Just my personal opinion, mind ya.)

Sigh!

I can add an Old Person quote here, like, "What are kids these days coming to?", but it hardly seems worth the effort.

Oh wait, I said it anyway!
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 06:24 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
, rocks a bird

funny, his picture looks like a moose

Yeah, it do...but I would hug him...you too Didge. What movie is your avatar from?
djjd62

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 07:11 am
@mismi,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/89/Fingers_of_dr_t.jpg

The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T. is a 1953 musical fantasy film. It is best known for being the only feature film ever written by Theodor Seuss Geisel ("Dr. Seuss"), who was responsible for the story, screenplay, and lyrics. It was directed by Roy Rowland. The film was rereleased in 1958 under the title Crazy Music.

The plot revolves around young Bart Collins, who lives with his widowed mother Heloise. The major blight on Bart's existence is the hated piano lessons he is forced to endure under the tutelage of the autocratic Dr. Terwilliker. Bart feels that his mother has fallen under Terwilliker's sinister influence, and gripes to visiting plumber August Zabladowski, without much result. While grimly hammering away at his lessons, Bart dozes off and enters a fantastical musical dream, in much the same fashion as Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz.
In the dream, Bart is trapped at the surreal Terwilliker Institute, where the piano teacher is now a madman dictator who has locked up all non-piano-playing musicians in a dungeon and constructed a piano so large that it requires Bart and 499 other enslaved boys (the aforementioned 5,000 fingers) in order to play it. Bart's mother has been turned into Terwilliker's hypnotized assistant and bride-to-be, and Bart must dodge the Institute's guards as he scrambles to save both his mother and himself. He tries to recruit Mr. Zabladowski, who has been hired to install all of the Institute's sinks ahead of a vital inspection, but only after much skepticism and foot-dragging is the plumber finally convinced to help. The two of them empty their pockets and construct a noise-sucking contraption which ruins the mega-piano's opening concert. The enslaved boys cheerfully run riot, and the "VERY atomic" noise-sucker explodes in spectacular fashion, bringing Bart out of his dream.
The movie ends on a hopeful note for Bart, when the real-life Mr. Zabladowski finally notices Heloise, and offers to drive her into town in his jeep. Bart escapes from the piano, and triumphantly runs off to play.

The Simpsons Villain Sideshow Bob takes his last name "Terwilliger" from this film.
mismi

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 07:25 am
@djjd62,
wow....have never heard of that. Thanks Didge
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 09:47 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I've noticed this at my kid's school, I had no idea it was much bigger than that:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/05/26/us/28hugs_600.JPG

Quote:
Girls embracing girls, girls embracing boys, boys embracing each other " the hug has become the favorite social greeting when teenagers meet or part these days. Teachers joke about “one hour” and “six hour” hugs, saying that students hug one another all day as if they were separated for the entire summer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/28/style/28hugs.html

When my kid went back to school after being out for a while, she faced a veritable hug gauntlet -- every single kid in class wanted to hug her, girls and boys. Some were satisfied with a group hug (4-5 at a time), while others patiently waited their turn for a solo hug.

Whenever she runs into someone she knows, there's a quick hug and then they start talking.

Whenever she says goodbye to someone she knows, there's a hug.

Hugging, hugging, hugging. And as the article says, boys are hugging each other too. (I'm talking about the elementary school set -- my daughter's going in to 3rd grade next year -- but I see it across all ages.)

Some schools are banning it, some kids find it oppressive. I like it from what I've seen of it. What do you think?

When I was a kid,
we didn 't even shake hands.

I guess its good to have close friends.

David
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 03:12 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
5,000 Fingers of Dr. T.

Oooohh! I feel an InterLibrary Loan coming on!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 06:20 pm
Like anything else that people find pleasure in, there must be hugging addicts. I would guess that there might be one day be a Huggers Anonymous. There might be some real tear jerking stories then told like, "We were too poor to buy me stuffed animals as a child, so now I hug everyone."
Eorl

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 06:48 pm
I blame the parents. Ever since this ridiculous idea of parents hugging, kissing and even showing affection for children became popular, kids have started having more affection for their fellow human beings!! It's appalling. Somebody ought to do something.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 12:13 am
One of the a2kers shared this story ...... He/She was waiting in line at the airport for them to test for metallic objects using the metal detector...The big guard was at the front of the line with the metal detector and beckoned the next person in line to come forward, this person was a kid who was 5 years old. The guard spread his arms out wide trying to get the kid to copy what he was doing so he could then use the metal detector. however the kid took this as an invitation and stepped forward and hugged the guard!!!!!!

haha so cute
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 12:49 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Like anything else that people find pleasure in, there must be hugging addicts.
I would guess that there might be one day be a Huggers Anonymous.
There might be some real tear jerking stories then told like,
"We were too poor to buy me stuffed animals as a child, so now I hug everyone."

At Mensa conventions, thay offer green circles for application to identity badges,
for those attenders who wish to declare their willingness to be hugged,
red ones meaning: stay the hell away,
and yellow ones meaning: maybe -- it depends on who u r.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 12:54 am
@vinsan,
vinsan wrote:

One of the a2kers shared this story ...... He/She was waiting in line at the airport for them to test for metallic objects using the metal detector...The big guard was at the front of the line with the metal detector and beckoned the next person in line to come forward, this person was a kid who was 5 years old. The guard spread his arms out wide trying to get the kid to copy what he was doing so he could then use the metal detector. however the kid took this as an invitation and stepped forward and hugged the guard!!!!!!

haha so cute

Did he get arrested ?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 09:44 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Foofie wrote:

At Mensa conventions, thay offer green circles for application to identity badges,

David

Sounds like a civilized solution for a total win-win. Now, how do we get the rest of society to have high I.Q.'s. Oh, I forgot, the popular culture is basically anti-intellectual.
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 11:05 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
Oh, I forgot, the popular culture is basically anti-intellectual.

You may be right, Foofie (frankly I'm not sure), but heck, they can still learn to wear circles.
mm25075

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 04:02 pm
@BorisKitten,
*hugs BorrisKitten tightly then runs away giggling*
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 04:28 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Foofie wrote:

David

Sounds like a civilized solution for a total win-win. Now, how do we get the rest of society to have high I.Q.'s.

Oh, I forgot, the popular culture is basically anti-intellectual.

Ergo, on Conan 's big first show in the footsteps of Johnny Carson,
he spends several minutes on camera
just driving around in circles in a parking lot,
on nationwide exhibition. I think that makes a statement.

0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 01:05 am
@mm25075,
Quote:
hugs BorrisKitten tightly then runs away giggling

Purring, all happied up!
mm25075

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 07:24 pm
@BorisKitten,
I consider myself part of the The Huggy Generation now. After a hug received from my cousin at our grandfather's future I can honestly say that a 'good' hug can be theraputic for the soul.

Definition of a true hug = both huggees are comfortable with the degree of affection which is displaced.

mismi

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 07:27 pm
@mm25075,
That's a good definition....

I got a full frontal from someone I didn't know very well not too long ago...not very comfortable at all...yeesh.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 07:01 am
@mm25075,
Yeah, I like that definition.

Recently I gave a talk (well, was present for a reading of a book I helped write, didn't talk much) at a local library. There were some teens helping out with the whole thing. One of 'em was really sweet and reminded me of sozlet + 8 years or so. She asked me some questions about writing and was just kind of generally gee-whiz and enthusiastic.

I ran into her a week or so later and she said "Oh hi Mrs. Sozobe!" and gave me a hug! It was a little startling but she was so sweet about it.
0 Replies