Badminton, anyone?

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 08:30 pm
Mr. B, Mo and I are totally rocking the cheapish badminton set I bought the other day but the raquets are really bad. They bend, they come unstrung. They're a mess after only a few days.

I would like to get some fair quality badminton raquets. Some raquets I've seen doing a quick Google are really expensive. I don't want those.

Is there a decent quality badminton raquet in the say.... $10 - $20 range?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,223 • Replies: 13
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 09:04 pm
My guess would be not. I found the same thing for squash racquets

You did say "decent quality".

there seems to be something in pretty much everyones price range though. $20 - $200 or more. so it's probably a matter of quality maching price.
I'd go looking for a badminton club and ask for advice.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 09:24 pm
Hey darling dadpad. I haven't seen you in ages! I hope all is well on the underneath of Earth.

I had no idea that badminton was such a serious sport until I started looking at raquets! We just want something that isn't completely flimsy like the ones that came with the set.

I don't recall ever seeing raquets sold at any of the sporting goods stores I've been in.

We were wondering if you might be able to use another kind of raquet where the cheap ones are a bit more durable.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 09:35 pm
maybe a cheapo squash racket? I dont know... I think maybe go to Target or chain department store and have a look in their sporting goods section. you might find racquets are better quality at a reasonable price bought individually rather than as part of a "set".

Badminton rackets are necessarily pretty light. Because of the need for a lot of wrist action rather than arm action.
I've had a hit or 2 but never really "played" so I'm just guessing.

Missed you too boombaby
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 09:51 pm
I've liked badminton, but only played in back yards with the usual "badminton set" racquets. In memory, it is sort of anti tennis, re force... (long time since I played).
solipsister

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:12 am
@ossobuco,
aarrgh shuttlecock
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:20 am
@boomerang,
be careful out there, boom...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGYM6loXYos
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:25 am
EEYOUCH!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 02:08 am
@boomerang,
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=badminton&x=15&y=18
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 04:52 am
Anyone who plays that game, and who knows how correctly to spell and pronounce the word is a dweeb . . . Boomer . . .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 10:27 am
I have never denied my dweebishness. I am dweeby hear me roar.

Thanks for the link, Butrflynet. My problem is that I have no basis for comparison based on written reviews. Is the $13 raquet going to really be as crappy as the ones that came with the set? Is a step up to a different raquet just a step up in price or is it really a step up in quality?

We have our badminton court set up in the front yard and it has started an interesting neighborhood conversation -- are they hillbillies or trendsetters? (We did have the first neighborhood front yard vegetable garden. Now they're de rigeur. Well, not because of us -- ours is there from necessity. Nevertheless, it is now quite fashionable to show off one's tomatoes.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 11:32 am
Ack-chew-ally, my sister and i used to play bad-mitten . . . not that i would ever admit that publicly . . .
boomerang

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 11:51 am
@Setanta,
<snicker>

What a dweeb!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 03:45 pm
@boomerang,
Is there a Play It Again Sports near you that you could call to find out if they have badminton racquets? I find they're a good spot to get mid-range and up sports gear from folks that are trading further up the sporting chain.
0 Replies