Computer security question

Roberta

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 01:49 pm
I have avg computer security--the free program.

I've been noodged to update it to the 8.5 version, which I did today.

Clicked and did everything I was instructed to do.

The avg icon looks "broken." When I click on it, I am told that my antivirus and antispyware programs are outdated. Didn't the update cover that? Why aren't they working?

Or are these two updates things I have to pay for?

(Note: When you respond, please assume that I'm a complete idiot and don't understand anything at all whatsoever about computers.)

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,667 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 01:52 pm
@Roberta,
mmmmmmmm.......... should automatically update the free version...

hopefully some bright spark will come along in a mo and let you know. Confused
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 03:17 pm
@Roberta,
What error messages, if any, popped up during the installation?

I'm not familiar with the avg computer security program, but could it be that the new version has different? It would explain why the familiar icons look broken, but the update should have installed other icons in their place. Maybe you want to take another look at your desktop and look for new icons with the words avg <something> below them.
Roberta

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 04:09 pm
@Thomas,
No error messages popped up during installation.

The icons are new. The old ones were uninstalled. But they have the same look, just a different number (8.5 rather than 7.5).

Why were spyware and virus protection not updated? You don't know the program, Thomas, so you don't know the answer.

But thanks for trying.

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 04:55 pm
@Roberta,
Until somebody who knows what they are talking about comes along, I would consider re-downloading the program.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 04:59 pm
@Roberta,
They update the data base of malware at least every 24 hours so it they placed the new version for downloading the first thing it is going to do is check for an update of it data base.

This data base you can think of as finger prints of new malwares and like the police department you are always adding fingers prints of new bad guy.

There is no real reason why they would open up the download file to add in the news updates of this database so one day or less from the time they compile the new version of AVG is going to need to get an update once you install it.

No need to be concern.

Roberta

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 05:47 pm
@BillRM,
Bill, I think I actually understood what you said. Oooh. I'm a bit dizzy.

Thanks so much for answering and allaying my concerns.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 05:41 am
@Roberta,
Yes, nothing to worry about. To put what Bill said into English.....

You updated the program. The file definition files (what the program uses to recognize virus stuff) need to be updated even when you install a new program version.

If you don't have the program set to download automatic updates, you should update the files regularly.
BillRM

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 08:30 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid after reading your answer to this thread question I found out why I had already placed you in my block file.

Shame on you for being such an nasty old man.

And yes I am an old nasty man myself at times but normally I have some little reason or excuse for being nasty not just being nasty for the joy of being nasty.

Roberta

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 02:15 pm
C'mon guys. Play nice. I understood what you both said. Everything is updating like it's supposed to and working just fine--as far as I can tell.

I still don't understand why the avatar is cockeyed. In the past that was a sign that something needed doing. But since everything appears to be working, I'm not gonna let a little cockeyed bother me.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 02:34 pm
@BillRM,
Sorry if you are having a bad day. How you got nasty from my reply is something that only you know.

Roberta said she thought she understood what you said but was dizzy from the explanation. I just tried to clear it up.

I apologize to Roberta if I did something untoward in trying to assist her in her thread.
Roberta

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 04:03 pm
@Intrepid,
Misunderstanding. Not dizzy from the explanation. Dizzy from the shock that I understood an explanation about a computer. It doesn't happen often.

You have both been helpful. Thanks mucho.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 04:52 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta I am running the same version of avg on two of my laptops running the same OS version and yet for some strange reason the icons is not the same!

Why I have no clue but as you said it does not seem to be a problem.

Oh on my netbook, that does not get used all that often. the program seem to go into almost shock when it wake up and see how long it been since the last update and it complain strongly if you do not provide it with internet access right away.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 10:05 pm
I think everything is operational. I clicked on the icon and saw a list of functions with the word "active" next to all of them.

Thanks for your concern and for the link.
0 Replies