Selling Retail

eoe

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 10:00 pm
It's always been my understanding that it's illegal to purchase merchandise from a retailer and then resell it. My husband says it isn't. I can't find any info online to back either of our claims. Can someone point me in the right direction on this? Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,107 • Replies: 12
No top replies

solipsister

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 10:01 pm
@eoe,
go to your garage
eoe

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 10:03 pm
@solipsister,
I think i get it but maybe not. Can you be a little less cryptic?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 10:05 pm
@eoe,
Listen to your hubby.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 10:06 pm
@eoe,
I can't imagine why you couldn't do that. I'm quite sure that if you are doing it as a business in New Mexico, you would be liable for gross receipts tax. Ideally, in this state, you would purchase using a tax exempt certificate to avoid double taxation, but there are states that don't even have a sales tax.

If this is for your business, technically, you might be selling second hand goods, so I don't really have a solid answer.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 10:25 pm
@eoe,
Can't see why you can't sell anything you want if you bought it legally. They buy products from someone and sell it, so why not you?

If someone wants to pay more to you, let 'em!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 10:31 pm
I should be more specific...
I am looking to open a retail establishment and the best prices online for the merchandise I will sell is not wholesale but a discount establishment. Their prices are far below what I'm seeing at various distributors and the question is, can i purchase from this discount retailer and sell the products in my brick and mortar retail store? Somewhere I seem to recall hearing that this illegal but I'm not sure.
I'll call the discount place tomorrow and get the 4-1-1 but I'm just curious if anyone here knows tonight.
roger

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 11:53 pm
@eoe,
I'm still just giving opinion, but that's what some retailers do with stuff from Sam's. Now, that's just an anecdote, and I know you want a legal opinion.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 10:16 pm
Spoke to customer service at the retailer in question and was told that selling their merch in my store is perfectly legal. I'm sooooo relieved. They're earmarked to be my largest supplier.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 10:33 pm
If you buy a lot of it, you should definitely talk to them about a quantity discount. Buy it by the case, or the dozen, or whatever. They might be amenable also t o selling it to you at a wholesale price (above the wholesale price they paid, of course). If you have a bricks and mortar store, you probably had to get a tax number from your state, which enables you to buy wholesale and not have to pay sales tax, at least in MA. See if the discount store is willing to sell you the stuff for resale and not charge you sales tax on it.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 10:53 pm
If the discount store is online, (or if it's an actual store somewhere, for that matter), be very careful about what you're actually getting. A picture online can look awfully good, but when you actually get the merchandise you may discover that it's really cheaply made and the picture really bears little resemblance to what you actually get. Some knockoffs of popular brands are decent quality, but a lot of them are crap. If they advertise something like Gucci bags, or advertise it as "compare toGucci bags" (a favorite item to knock off), they're not Gucci, and they'll usually fall apart soon. PLEASE research it carefully before you commit a lot of money to it.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 04:25 am
MontereyJ. is correct. Get a tax number and ask for a discount. I often purchase garden items in antique shops and resell them to customers. I tack on a mark up and charge the tax I was exempted from paying when I used my resale number. I once got a fabulous deal at Home Goods on garden furniture - paid far less than wholesale and now that set is in the middle of a patio garden about 10 miles from where I live. I often use my resale number at places like Target, Kmart, and TJMax for purchasing items I will eventually resell to a client. Places like Lowes offer discounts if you are a contractor or licensed professional.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 05:58 am
Thanks to all.
0 Replies