ENVY

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 05:16 pm
Those grapes were probably sour anyway . . .

Shall we always be content with what we have, or shall we always regret that we haven't that which others enjoy? Could one be justified in envying someone their lover, or their estate, without ill intent?

What do you think about envy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 927 • Replies: 8
No top replies

McTag

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 05:22 pm
It is written that thou shalt not covet thy neighbours ass.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 05:23 pm
Envy breeds excellence.

I have never understood what people have against envy. Acting on it inappropriately is one thing but envy is what keeps us off our asses.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 05:27 pm
I think envy is probably the most powerful motivating force of the human condition, after the urge to copulate and reproduce.
Healthy competition, call it by another name if you will, the act of comparing yourself with others and seeking to emulate them or to better them, even to cheat them or steal from them, it is a fundamental motivating force of society. Isn't it?
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 05:30 pm
Thoughts in mind do produce after their kind. When we continue to dwell on envy of what another enjoys that we (at least feel) we don't have it's possible we could steal, etc. to get these things, or become depressed or ill.

Maybe when we envy we could decide to love to pieces what we have and do the best we can with whatever that may be. Who knows what another's life is all about, regardless of what they have. Perhaps these envied people are miserable in other ways.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 05:40 pm
I think that envy is the motivation for good and bad actions. If someone's job inspires me to go and further my education and apply for a similar job, that's good, no?

As I read up I see others feel the same way and are much better at expressing themselves than I am.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:31 pm
I've never really wanted anything other people had other than happiness, and when I've been happy, they didn't have anything else I was particularly interested in. So envy's never been a motivator that really worked for me. At least in terms of material things.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 09:45 am
when in life one reaches the 'realization' that contentment cannot be 'bought', the freedom bestowed by that fact is enormous.

'envy' is merely the manifestation of a misdirected sense of values; putting things (ussually erroneously thought of as possessions) ahead of relationships, and experiences (life).
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 12:01 am
Aaron Ben Ze'ev wrote:
Envy is morally condemned despite the apparent presence of an important moral component, namely, the desire to eliminate inequality.

After all, the most prosperous country in the world is founded on the belief that all men are created equal, and the only way that it could get withing reasonable equality was through struggle brought out by envy.
0 Replies