SLOTH

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 05:13 pm
As lazy as the day is long . . .

Are we compelled to labor, and are we enobled by it? Is sloth a vice, a failure to one's self?

What are your thoughts on sloth?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,435 • Replies: 15
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 05:44 pm
Of all of these (are these those biblical sins?) I'm most guilty of this'n I think.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 05:45 pm
They are seven, and they are reputed to be deadly.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 05:52 pm
deadly! That's just plain silly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 05:56 pm
Catholic (and other) theology, lovely Miss K, they will doom one's soul . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:38 pm
C'mon! Sloth has fuelled much of our progress, no? We didn't WANT to spend hours and hours slaving over hand-washing - beating rugs - tilling fields - cooking outside - making widgets laboriously by hand...ok - profit had a lot to do with it, too!

I have an odd relationship with sloth - I am naturally very slothful - essays always in at the last minute (and reports now) - study always the night before the exam - but I can work like a demon once engaged. I fail to do much that I ought around the home, but cannot rest peacefully because I know it is there...and I dab at it...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:40 pm
Deb, my mother says I suffer from inertia, not slthfulness. An object at reast will stay at rest until it has some energy transfered to it.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:44 pm
I was recently arrested for impersonating a speed bump.

(Thoughts of the bunny and the sloth making the beast with two backs...)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:46 pm
(yikes!)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 07:07 pm
oh my
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 07:08 am
Y'know... it might not be a bad thing, Deb. I read once, that once they get started, sloths spend hours at it...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 10:29 am
\l/
0-< B =
/l\
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 08:42 am
if i had issues with 'sloth', i'd have a really hard time with 'pride'! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 08:45 am
you know you really can't beat those old adages;

"pride comes before a fall"

and the ever popular:

"sloth comes during the winter"

(i'll leave spring and summer to the creative)
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 09:11 am
This is a disjointed, cautionary tale about how your mother and religion can kick you in the tail.

My mother was a Cleaning Nazi. Nothing I ever did was good enough or clean enough. One memorable mother/daughter moment--She dragged me out of bed (on a school night) at 3AM to force me to re-vaccuum a spot I'd missed the day before.

So, when I escaped from her--(moved out)--I was very relaxed about housecleaning (I kept busy, and had a very active work ethic in other areas, but the house could go to Hell...)

When I became pregnant, that changed in an instant. Then, overnight, I began to morph into a Cleaning Nazi myself. I didn't terrorize my kids, but they did have cleaning chores every Saturday morning.

A few years ago, I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Main symptom: looks like sloth. I am used to being industrious, active, involved.... I can't do ****. Sitting around, not doing stuff is against everything I ever believed-- diametrically opposed to the core of my being, and my religion (or what personal realities I derived from it).

I give myself a pass on sitting around, now--but I always feel wrong. I'm only happy when I feel well enough to clean or do something constructive. I can't give an opinion about sloth, because I'm so conflicted about it. Cleaning Nazi mothers can really screw with their daughters' housekeeping practices... And CFS can take your world, shake it, sit it down and laugh uproarishly at you.

Meh!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 09:21 am
my philosophy of 'work' is very simple:

do as little as will assure you of being able to maintain the minimum level of heath and security that makes you comfortable, and never ever allow yourself to feel 'guilty' about it.

(mind you, a simple philosophy is often complex in the execution!)
0 Replies